Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Dec 2, 2006, 7:33 AM   #1

fuji finepix s7000 brand new outta box giving "card error " message!!

After quite a bit of deliberation I found what I thought would be my dream camera..unfortunately straight outta the box it will not work! I have other cards from other fuji finepix cameras and tried the new card in my old camera..it doesnt seem to be a problem in my old camera! Does anyone know? The users manual is missing from the box as it was a closeout on Abe's of Maines web store..this camera was very hard to find for the price and I am very disapointed..please help before I just give up and send it back!!
:?
pantera13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 2, 2006, 9:51 AM   #2
Administrator

pantera13 wrote:
Quote:
fuji finepix s7000 brand new outta box giving "card error " message!!
[snip]
The users manual is missing from the box as it was a closeout on Abe's of Maines web store..this camera was very hard to find for the price and I am very disapointed..please help before I just give up and send it back!!
:?
New in the box and missing the manual, huh? Doesn't work either, huh? :-) And they just happen to have this camera when everyone else is sold out, huh? :-)

No offense to New York residents. But, I try to avoid Brooklyn based vendors. Most have a very bad reputation. You'll sometimes see this area referred to as Crooklyn versus Brooklyn. ;-)

You'll find over 200 customer reviews for this vendor here:

Customer Reviews for Abes of Maine

They're located in Brooklyn, NY; not Maine.

Note the current 1.76 rating for likelihood of future purchases (on a scale of 1 to 10) if you click on the category ratings. Customer service is an even lower 1.32. Read the actual reviews below the ratings to get a better idea of what customers think about this vendor.

Hopefully, it's just a "fluke" and it's not a defective camera. Do other cards work in it? Did you try formatting the cards using the camera's menus for format? That's always a good first step.

Always use http://www.resellerratings.com to check out any vendor you consider. They do a bit better job compared to most ratings sites at keeping out false reviews.

Ifa vendor isnot listed (or they have a small number of customer reviews), I'd avoid them, as vendors have been known to try and pad their own ratings.

Here is an article you may want to read by Bryan Biggers. Note the "known broken goods section" (hopefully not your issue)

How to Buy a Digital Camera without being Robbed

Good Luck with it.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2006, 10:15 AM   #3

:roll:Geez I thought they would be more a reliable because of the BBB certifications they somehow managed to maintain! Someone probably swapped out this camera I got with their own non- working one...I will be returning this camera I think...

I tried formating and it just erases the no pictures on the card! I really do want only fuji finepix s7000 or may settle with s9000..!!!

Thanks for the response..I did get up early and look at the manual online on fuji film's website...if it's a warranteed camera then fujifilm should repair it?!

Jill
Old Dec 2, 2006, 10:29 AM   #4
Administrator

If it's any consolation, Abe's does have a better reputation than most of the Brooklyn based vendors (and *most* of the popular scammers with great looking web sites and prices are located in Brooklyn, where they seem to be able to get away with it).

But, if you read through the pages of customer reviews for them at http://www.resellerratings.com , I think you'll see a pattern.

What do you mean by "I tried formating and it just erases the no pictures on the card!" ?

A format is supposed to erase everything on the card. Clarify that statement.

Does the camera appear to format the card when you use it's menu choice for format? If so, what happens when you try to use it then? Did you try more than one card in it?

Quote:
f it's a warranteed camera then fujifilm should repair it?!
Not necessarily. Much of the time when you see a cheaper price (or cameras that other vendors no longer have), it's because the vendor is selling gray market gear (cameras not intended for sale in the country they're being sold in). Of course, missing manuals and software (or manuals in the wrong language), chargers with the wrong plug for U.S. outlets and more are sometimes the giveaway.

Some manufacturers will refuse to service a gray market camera. For example, Nikon USA won't even service one if you are willing to pay them for the service. I've heard that Fuji USA has a similar policy. You'd need to check with them to see what their current policy is *if* it turns out to be gray market.

Fuji USA Authorized Service Centers

Hopefully, it's not gray market, and the camera is not defective. See what you get trying another card.

Old Dec 2, 2006, 10:40 AM   #5
Administrator

JimC wrote:
Quote:
You'd need to check with them to see what their current policy is *if* it turns out to be gray market.
A quick search for "gray market" on Fuji's site found this page about the S3 Pro (since it's a popular camera to import outside of Fuji's authorized distribution network).

http://www.fujifilmusa.com/JSP/fuji/...toS3ProKit.jsp

Note this part:

Quote:
Fujifilm cameras originating from sources outside of FUJIFILM U.S.A., Inc. are not warranted by FUJIFILM U.S.A., Inc. and therefore are not eligible for warranty service from FUJIFILM U.S.A., Inc.
Hopefully, your S7000 is not really defective and is not gray market.

Old Dec 2, 2006, 12:13 PM   #6

I am going to brave the elements to take my son to a birthday party at laser quest..on the way theres a wolfs camera ..I am going to take it in and see what they have to say about it..Supposedly abe's is an authorized dealer for fuji...It will make it very unlikely I will shop there again if the camera is defective...really makes me mad to know a retailer and online one would send out such a high priced signal of incompetance...

I have 2 other fuji finepix cameras that cost almost half of what I paid for my ideal s7000....this camera is a rare find ...I never had any problem with the other 2 cameras...just that they dont have the capabilities of this model..if I go with s9000 I will not buy from Abe's of maine...
Old Dec 2, 2006, 12:31 PM   #7
Administrator

As I've already suggested, try a different memory card in it to see if that's the issue. It may not be the camera.

Quote:
Supposedly abe's is an authorized dealer for fuji...
Yes, and I also see some interesting things on the web page for this model:

Fuji S7000 Listing at Abe's of Maine

If you look at the last sentence of the full product description, you'll find this:

Quote:
Import Model
A gray market camera is usually referred to as an "Import Model" by companies selling both both camera types (some vendors, even reputable ones, carry *both* products intended for sale in the U.S., and those that are not intended for sale in the U.S). Import Model = Gray Market with most vendors.

The warranty also doesn't say "Fuji USA 1 Year Warranty". It just says "1 Year Limited Warranty". Stores offer warranties, too (although some may not have the parts or expertise to service the gear). lol

Again, these guys have a better rep compared to most of the Brooklyn based dealers (which isn't saying much). So, hopefully, it's not defective and it's not gray market. Try a different memory card in it. Then, call Fuji and ask if it's gray market if you can't tell by the UPC code on the box. They should be able to look it up by serial number.

Old Dec 2, 2006, 1:57 PM   #8

Thats the camera I foolishly purchased!! It so didnt come with all the items stated:

• 16MB xD-Picture Card [/*]
  • 4x AA Alkaline Batteries [/*]
  • USB Cable [/*]
  • A/V Cable [/*]
  • Lens Cap with Holder [/*]
  • Shoulder Strap [/*]
  • Software CD-ROM (FinePix Viewer 4.1, Pixela VCD 2 Image Mixer, Apple QT 5) [/*]
  • User's Guide [/*]
  • 1-Year Limited Warranty [/*]

Oh and guess what I found out?! Its not the card at all the camera has a bent pin in the micro drive compartment right next to where the XD card goes..! I am so angry right now about being ripped off by Abe's of maine...they scanned the box my camera came in and I was also charged 65.00 more then the boxed price...for a damaged defective s7000!!! They are closed right now and per their return policy I need a return authorization # before I can start the process of getting my money back...I am truely disapointed in their products and customer service!(GRRR)

Thanks for your great answers to my problem with my camera....and with the bogus retailer!!!

Old Dec 9, 2006, 12:12 PM   #9

IF (I repeat: IF) the problem is 'merely' a bent pin -> any reputable repair shop can straighten it for you at minimal cost ($10-20).

The s7000 (which I own) is a keeper!

Last edited by bernabeu; Jun 27, 2015 at 4:24 PM.
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2006, 4:52 PM   #10

I already sent it back and am waiting the refund!!! I ended up with an s9000!!!

Nice picture!!! I knew there was a reason I loved that camera!!