Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Dec 2, 2006, 11:12 AM   #1

Anyone interested in an F30 thread for tips and tricks? I am a news reporter and photographer who recently purchased an F30 for situations where a DSLR is not appropriate such as theater, meetings and other events where the mirror slap CLICK is disrupting. Below are 1600 ISO comparisions between the F30 and Canon xt in my kitchen, a very tough early morning low light shot, moments apart with settings as identical as I could get them and a run through default Noiseware. The F30 fares very well.

High ISO Tip - Stay in f2.8 as much as possible. It's often better not to zoom and take the crop.

P.S. No arguing, pixel peeping, just how to get usable shots.

F30 shot
Attached Images

pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 2, 2006, 11:17 AM   #2

Here's the Canon xt shot.
Attached Images

Old Dec 2, 2006, 6:08 PM   #3

I use the 2 sec. timer when I'm shooting handheld still images. It gets rid of the camera shake that can occur when pressing the shutter.

I'll post more as I learn!
janebond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2006, 7:17 PM   #4

Thanks for starting what looks to be an excellent thread.

I liked your sample photos. A couple of points come to mind when using the F-30 for this kind of existing light/no flash shot.

(1) Don't be afraid to us the M position on your F-30's Mode selector. It is actually the equivalent of most camera's P for program mode.

(2) Don't use Auto ISO. by not using "auto iso," youwill keep the camera's selection of high ISO's under control. Instead, set a fixed ISO manually or set an ISO range, which will limit how far the camera can increase the ISO by itself. You get to the ISO selectionsby using the button on the back of your camera labeled "f".

(3) With the ISO now set, push the shutter release halfway down to check and see what shutter speed the camera is going to use for your proposed photo. If the shutter speed is 1/40th of a second or less, and if you are going to handhold the camera, numerically increase the ISO setting so that when you press halfway down on the shutter after resetting the ISO, you will see that the shutter speed has increased to a faster speed than 1/40th of a second.

(4) You can also use the option thatthe OPelected to use. Even the slightest camera movement will blur your photos. Note: If you are using a tripod and the self timer you can accept a shutter speed of less than 1/40th of a second, but do not expect to stop any action in your photo at a shutter speed of less than 1/40th of a second.

Here is a sample photo that I took on Thursday in a local Optical Shop while I was waiting for my husband. It was taken with the new Fuji S-6000fd camera which uses the F-30's imager and processor coupled with the lens from the Fuji S-9XXX camera. I am currently shooting with the Fuji F-10, F-30, and the S-6000fd.

This photo is quite like the OP's photo, butI had less ambient light to work with in this photo, thanthe OPdid in his/her photo. There was no flash used. Due to the fact that I had less lightto work with, (all light was being supplied by ceiling mounted flourescent lights). Therefore, I had to adjust the White Balance to compensate for the Flourescent lighting and to increasemy ISO setting to ISO 1600 to compensate for the smaller amount of light in my photo.

MT/Sarah
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2006, 9:12 AM   #5

Found this very comprehensive writeup on the F30 at http://www.pbase.com/arn/fuji_f30.

I shoot almost entirely in M and A/S modes. The natural light and anti-shake always seem to default to unnecessarly high ISOs.

Two scene modes I have found useful are Portrait for quick indoor shots where flash doesn't matter and Landscape in good light.

Have others found that the green focus light doesn't lock in low light shots no matter what you do? I just shoot anyway and have found the shots just fine most of the time.

Tip - As new reporter who MUST get the shot I have learned to take a LOT of pictures at events. At at theater event I will take 20-30 shots at different settings to a make sure I get a good one.

Below are two shots. The first with green light blinking at 1600 ISO and the second of Mount Shasta in Landscape mode. PP on the village. Mountain straight out of the camera.

Attached Images

Old Dec 3, 2006, 9:26 AM   #6

Mountain. Landscape mode.
Attached Images

Old Dec 3, 2006, 10:00 AM   #7

pboerger-

Both of the most recent samples are excellent photos. Are they both from your F-30 or the Canon 350D?I certainly agree that you have to take a good number of photos to get those several photos, or even that one special photo that best showcases the event.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2006, 10:48 AM   #8

All F30 unless noted otherwise.