Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Dec 3, 2006, 5:39 PM   #1

I have been posting here because I need a new pocket size camera. I have the Fuji F700 and the S5200. I find the S5200 too big to take in my purse daily. Here is why I need a new pocket model. I am attaching a photo from last night. All my indoor photos from a cruise we took and last Christmas are similar. The outdoor photos are wonderful. Does anyone know why?? I have tried the camera both on auto and the nighttime setting. I don't feel I can recommend this F700 or try to sell it because of it's poor low light quality or am I doing something wrong?
Attached Images

Shari is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 3, 2006, 5:40 PM   #2

And here is a photo taken with the same camera outside.

Shari
Attached Images

Old Dec 3, 2006, 5:58 PM   #3

Shari-

The problem with that photo is simple. It is camera movement. You pushed down sharply and quickly on the shutter release, and as a result moved your camera. Hence you see the result. The WB (White Balance) is not correct. Each of those faults is very easy to correct. You really want your photo to look like my attached photo, which is our backyard.

MT/Sarah
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2006, 1:12 PM   #4

Yes, handheld existing light photos are a challenge. You really have to concentrate on holding the camera steady because the shutter speeds are typically very slow. You might try setting a higher ISO. The pictures will have a little more noise, but the shutter speed difference might be enough to help you get better photos. And you should try setting your white balance.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2006, 2:29 PM   #5

Thank you. I looked in the manual and I guess I should set the WB by using a piece of paper - is that right? I am really toying between the Fuji E900 or the Canon A710 IS hoping either of those would help correct this problem. I want to be able to take quick snapshots in night lighting without having to make a bunch of adjustments. Thanks again for your response.

Shari
Old Dec 4, 2006, 3:10 PM   #6

You can use the white card method for white balance if you want to, but there are some standard white balance selections that you can make that would help with the color. I don't think the E-900 would produce much better results for you because, as I understand it, the exposure system is basically the same on golf cameras. The Canon camera might help you a little bit because it has image stabilization, but it won't cure all of your blur problems. I don't know how the Canon will deal with white balance problems in different types of lighting. I suppose the best thing for you to do would be to try both cameras and decide for yourself.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2006, 8:44 PM   #7

Thanks again, I just got back from the store and have decided that with the bigger LCD screen I could do without the viewfinder. I have to research tonight on Nikon S8, Panasonic FX01, FX50 or Fuji F30. These are all little cameras that I can stick in my pocket but have image stabilizer. If I want the zoom I will just have to take my S5200 along with me. I have been shooting on auto with both cameras and am just starting to learn about photography so I appreciate all the input from these forums. Thanks.

Shari
Old Dec 5, 2006, 5:09 PM   #8

Hi Shari, just wanted to let you know that the F30 does not have an image stabilizer. Well, I guess it does in a sense, but instead making an optical adjustment (like Canon and Panasonic) the F30 pumps up the ISO, resulting in noisier photos.
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2006, 7:18 PM   #9

Thanks - I did realize that. If I use any of these cameras in auto does the image stabilizer kick in and with the Fuji does the ISO change accordingly. Sorry - really don't know too much about photography yet.

Shari