Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Dec 7, 2006, 4:34 PM   #11

Ok thanks. It will probably show up eventually. Can you say if switches are used?

Thanks
flymhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2006, 5:09 PM   #12

The operation of the USB cable release is very simple. Plug it in, turn on the camera, push the button. There are no menu switches, there is no instruction booklet, there is no mention of the cable release in the manual. The button has two separate positions. You press the button slightly and you feel a click which activates the auto focus and the metering. Push it a little farther and the picture is taken. End of story.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2006, 5:35 PM   #13

Thanks, thats what I was hoping. The button operates2 switchs.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 3:27 AM   #14

I picked up a cheap and cheerful traditional mechanical cable release on Ebay. Had it shipped from China and used it very successfully at a firework display a few months back. Well worth a couple of quid.

Paul

Bumble_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2006, 11:53 AM   #15

I doubt that this is a simple switch only solution. The USB protocol does not have provisions for a dry contact closure scenario.

My guess would be a small dedicated chip that takes the closure from the switch and turns it into USB aware signal. Power supplied by the USB connection.
bill soper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2006, 12:08 PM   #16

There was a guy who used to make cable releases for the S5100/5500. I would imagine it would also fit the S5200 and S6000. The original post is here:

http://stevesforums.com/forums/view_...se+s5100+s5500

If anyone finds this guy and gets one, let us all know.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2006, 12:18 PM   #17

Actually, I have one of those too. I have a 5100, and I bought one of those. It works OK, but at least for me, it falls off too easily. I guess if you are taking pictures of people or action photos where timing is critical one of these different cable releases would really help. But since I have become accustomed to using the two second timer, I just don't bother with any of them much anymore. I guess it's all in your shooting style and what your demands are. My "specialty" is landscape and architectural photography. Timing is not a big issue for what I do, and the timer method suits me just fine.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2006, 7:42 PM   #18

There`s no telling how it works. There are 5 connections in the camera end of the plug. I don`t know how many are used to download pics. Two of them couldconnect to the switch assy under the shutter button.

I`ve made a wired and RF releasefor Panasonic FZ20,30,50.It has 3 resistors in the circuit . The strange thing is it won`t wake the camera up from the sleep stage. Apparently it does`nt connect directly to the shutter switch contacts.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 6:16 PM   #19

USB works the same as the DB9 and DB25 ports, except smaller and faster.

http://pinouts.ru/Slots/USB_pinout.shtml

only 4 pins are active - +5v / Gnd / Data + / Data - (TD/RD)

bud2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2006, 1:49 PM   #20

It's odd that Fuji would supply a USBshutter release for the S9000 which already has provision for a manual cable release, but nothing forother cameras like my S5200. If Fuji would update the S5200's firmware to accept the USB release I'd probably buy one, but I think they'd rather I buy a new camera instead.:-x
toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote