Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Dec 5, 2006, 8:32 AM   #1

have been using a panny fz5 but am unhappy with its lousy low light pics and adjustment for a moving sublect. i am a journalist who needs a versatile unit but cant spend more then around 500. someone recommended the s6000 but i cant find it anywhere on the fuji website. i guess its an old model. any thoughts between these three would be greatly appreciated. my needs are: scenery shots both day and nite, candid shots of people, indoor shots both with decent and terrible lighting, subject shots that are not posed so might have jerkymovement. any help is appreciated.
bj5011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 5, 2006, 8:44 AM   #2

http://www.fujifilmusa.com/JSP/fuji/...vBarId=I856004
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2006, 9:00 AM   #3

The S6000fd (face detection) is actually the newest in the Fuji lineup of digital cameras. There has been a lot of talk about it on the forums and in the news. I find it strange that you have not been able to find it. It reportedly has good low light capabilities. But if you are a journalist, it seems to me that you should seriously consider purchasing a digital SLR. You can purchase every other inexpensive camera hoping to get the quality that you need. But in the end, regardless of how many different cameras you try, you will not be able to get the quality that you are expecting. Not from Fuji, or Canon, or Nikon, or anything else.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 9:26 AM   #4

you are right. i wont be able to compete with the big boys but if i was to invest in one i would be wasting my money. you need commitment to make an over $1000 worthwhile and i dont have that time. i just need clean pictures and that will work for most publications. when you get to the full glossys ofthe magazines, then they already send a photographer with me. anything less i just have to take acceptable shots.

with that in mind i need a reliable, versatile, unit that can get me by. sony, fuji, canon, olympus, i am not particular of brand, just of my needs.

i do appreciate your opinion and welcome all. i will be looking at the 6000 unless someone has another one to compare it to.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 10:40 AM   #5

bj-

We have discussed this to some length in the "What Camera Should I Buy" folder. If you do not want to purchase and master a DSLR camera, the FujiS-6000/S-6500 offers a good compromise that will get the photos that you seem to desire.

The S-6000/S-6500 is a veritile and competent camera. Like any new camera, it will take some learning to get the most from it. However, it will not be as demanding as a DSLR camera.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2006, 11:30 AM   #6

thats my conclusion as well. i now on a search for the 6000. thanks much for everyones views and overwhelming expertise. will update when i get it going.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 5:51 PM   #7

Here is one review.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/S6000/S6000A.HTM
Old Dec 6, 2006, 9:05 AM   #8

and here's another:

http://dcresource.com/reviews/fuji/f...ew/index.shtml

and yet another:

http://www.megapixel.net/reviews/fuj.../s6000-gen.php
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2006, 7:21 PM   #9

And a review has just been put up at dpreview, www.dpreview.com/reviews/FujifilmS6000fd/ .

Clyde
Clyde Atkinson is offline   Reply With Quote