Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jun 21, 2003, 7:02 PM   #1

Default Low light pictures didn't turn out again...pthpthpthpth!!

Well, inspite of all the help I have received from everyone regarding low light pictures, I still didn't get one decent photo at my daughters performance. I feel like I have been studying for an exam the way I have been preparing for this day. Vox, I read all the information from Boo's web page. Monkied with apature and shutter speed, took pictures with an ISO of 800 on down to 200, flash, no flash, 6 mp and 1 mp. I don't know. The only thing I havn't tried is a tripod, and I don't see how that will help....feeling a bit depressed here guys. My daughters performances are passing me by and I don't have one decent picture. Everyone I know is still using reliable 'ol 35mm. They kept telling me it was a mistake to switch to digital...now I'm beginning to wonder if they weren't right. I have taken some awsome pictures outside that are just incredable, but then I get to the indoor thing and just go nuts! :roll: Just a thought, does the telephoto lens help with any of this??? I think I'm just going to buy a huge halogen light, tape it to my husbands head and just shoot pictures during these performances. What's one more bald spot to a man with thinning hair???

Thanks for listening to the babble....

Ang
futbol mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 21, 2003, 7:24 PM   #2

what camera did you use?
what flash did you use?
what was the approximate distance from you to the subject?
what was the ambient lighting?
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2003, 9:05 PM   #3

I have a S602. I used the flash on the camera. I was about 20 ft. away. I'm not sure what the lighting was, it was just stage lighting. Nothing real bright, but the audiance was in the dark.

Thanks,

Ang
futbol mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2003, 10:04 PM   #4

first the flash on the camera. that little thing like on my D7Hi is in my opinion fairly useless beyond 10-15 ft. i'm being kind on the 15 ft mark.

cranking up the iso helps but your going to hit a wall there to especially if your constantly at you camera lenses max apeture.

anything below 1/60 speed even with the strobe your risking the shakes.

you being in the dark isn't really a factor though a little more ambiant light would of helped.

you mention you old film gear. did you have a seperate flash unit for it?

it looks like you ran into the "its digital. it can do everything" syndrome.

the imager no no different than a piece of film except that you can change its sensitivity at anytime within limits.

i'll bet the flash on your old camera was a bit larger in power then that pea sized one on the 602.

it wasn't a mistake going over to digital. what the error was and most people make it is that nothing in technique really has changed. your still taking a picture. your 35mm with the same size flash would have netted similar results though you would have found out days later.

there are limits to any instrument. 20 ft or so is too far for the built in strobe i don't care what other digital gurus say. and if there is movement and a lot of lower spectrum lighting as reds and deep blues both cameras would have choked depending on the AF system and ISO. i have shot in some challenging environments and you have got to know the limitation of your gear. the AF system when not to rely on it. how big a strobe will i need if i can use one. and what iso i will have to use to get the job done.

the 602 has a lot of sophistication in it but must be learned by practice practice practice. it has an external hot shoe. that means you can put a more powerful flash on it when needed and that possibly would have made a difference).

you have to experiment before you go into an unfamiliar situation. go in your living room and draw the curtains and lower the lights to make it like the show. even in there the flash would act different it has light colored walls and ceiling to bounce off of. in a audtorium it has nothing but space, no walls . lots of variables in this world.

i just got an EOS-1Ds and shot off over 500 shots of pure garbage just getting to know it in different situations. still working on dialing it in for the way i think and it works. i have learned loads from those shots too.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote