Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jun 22, 2003, 9:49 AM   #1

Default Which card to buy for my new S602?

Well I did it! I bought a Fuji S602 and now need some type of media card.

I remember reading that there have been some issues. Which card should I get in 512 - 1 gig?

Thanks 4 the help guys :lol:
Tony D is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 22, 2003, 5:08 PM   #2

I posted a reply under your duplicate post in 'Memory cards'
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2003, 5:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
I posted a reply under your duplicate post in 'Memory cards'
well if you read close, it's not a duplicate post. Here I am asking wich brands of media cards had problems.

The other post i want to know which of the 2 cards is a better choice.

Thanks for the reply.
Old Jun 22, 2003, 6:37 PM   #4

So many cards had problems it's difficult to remember which one's didn't. I haven't come across droves of 602 users who confirm a particular card is O.K. And anyway, 6 months down the road, the same size card in the same package may have different architecture.

The only card recommended to work in the 602 is a Microdrive, and that's confirmed in the Fuji handbook, whereas CF carries a health warning.

This Forum has a very good search engine.
Old Jun 23, 2003, 10:04 AM   #5

vox,

Thanks for the help and i did search ......crucial when you belong to a car forum.

I could find a unanimous vote on a particular CF card. The Fuji site says that CompactFlash™ type II cards will work so i'll give them a shot. Guess I'll try what you said and go to the local future shop and see how that goes.

Thanks for the help
Old Jun 30, 2003, 1:45 AM   #6

Tony:
I bough a S602 at the beggining of the month and got me a Scandisk 264Mb CF, it work well for the first two weeks but then the camera just did not read it and gave me a message "card not initailized" I have to reformat the card and it work again, and I luckily did not have any pictures on it since I moved them to the computer the day before. I wouldn't want this to happen when I have really important pictures so I return CF to the store. I got me a 1Gb microdrive and it works well so far. I heard it really eats up battery power so I also got me a 128Mb Smartmedia, that I'm using now as my primary card, keeping the microdrive loaded in the camera for those just in case moments.
Hopefully this will help you to make decisions.

Willy
willhiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2003, 2:25 PM   #7

Thanks for all the help guys.

The response i got from Fuji Canada was that if I was to use a CF card that it had to be the new CF II cards.

I'm getting one mid week and will let you know the results at months end.
Old Jun 30, 2003, 11:01 PM   #8

I am using an IBM MicroDrive. I know I read it has issues...so far none.
JBsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2003, 11:56 PM   #9

The Ridata 512MB and Transcend 512MB cards are great!!!!! I have been using these cards in the S602z for a while for weddings...no problems. Also my wife uses it all the time for videoing the kiddies...no problems......
vlai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2003, 12:53 PM   #10

I do as willhiro, use 128Mb SM for small shoots where I don't mind pulling the card in and out to read it externally, but switch to MD for bigger jobs. All are at 6Mpix .

Incidentally, the power overhead is not as bad as it's made out unless you're shooting TIFF's. Yes the batt drain is higher, but in short bursts. Doing a lot of preview searching (which I don't) will take more off the batts. However, CF's are not power 'lossless' - remember for writes they need an erase cycle, as the card speeds go up one might expect the power to go up as well, but true it's not as high as MD.

You have to look at it relative to the EVF/LCD which is on far longer and is a real power sucker!