Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Dec 9, 2006, 12:26 AM   #1

Ever since the F30 came out, I've been wanting to upgrade my old camera. However, I've decided that my next camera would have the optical image stabilization feature.

It seems Fujifilm is not interested in bringing out cameras with this feature even in the near future.

Anyone know why that is? Is this feature not considered an almostmust-have nowadays (it seems its available in both point&shoot and DSLR models of major digital camera makers)?

The low-light performance of the F30 (and F31fd) is superb and I thought it could only be more superb with optical image stabilization, right?
sxy2385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 9, 2006, 6:25 AM   #2

sxy-

Of course, you are correct about the advantage of adding IS to the wonderful Fuji high ISO capable camera. I believe that, like it or not, that Fuji will soon or laterbe forced to add IS to remain competetive and to retain their market share. In the meantime, I intend to thoroughly enjoy my Fuji F-10, F-30, S-6000, and S-9000 cameras. I still have not had any photos in the last two+ years that need the advantage of IS.

So you see, sxy,this becomes a rather academic, as oppossed to a real life situational argument. Thousands of excellent photos and a lot of funwill pass you by while you are waiting for a Fuji camera withIS. Please, no offence intended at all! I agree, it would be nice, but in the meantime I am going to have a ball enjoying my Fuji cameras.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2006, 12:25 PM   #3

Hey sxy, I agree with everything MT has stated. Also, Fuji's reluctance to add ois works from a marketing standpoint. See, optical image stabilization (like Canon, Sony and Panasonic use) helps compensate for camera movement, but not at all for subject movement. But Fuji can advertise that their "picture stabilization" alleviates both camera and subject movement, because it works by automatically boosting the ISO, thus killing 2 birds with one stone. Of course, the resultant photo may be rather noisy, which is why probably most capable Fuji users (like MT) will manually set the ISO when necessary.

In fact, there is a printed Fuji ad right in front of me, and it says:

"THE KIDS WERE BOUNCING.
THE CAMERA WAS SHAKING.
THE LIGHT WAS LOW.
THE PICTURES ARE PERFECT.

HOW'D THAT HAPPEN?"

(2 snapshots of 2 kids having a pillow fight in a dimly lilt bedroom - the 1st is blurry, the 2nd, presumably taken with a Fuji camera, is clear, so the kids look "frozen in motion".)

OIS will not help with "THE KIDS WERE BOUNCING." - the only way to cature that is with a higher ISO, and Fuji allows you to go higher and cleaner than any other current p&s camera. No basically, from a marketing perspective, Fuji has no need to implement ois.

Hope this helps.
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2006, 1:10 PM   #4

I have a friend who was an executive at Panasonic and we discussed the development of their stabilization. Their engineers worked for several years developing the components. They were at a disadvantage compared to Sony with only digital stabilization in their camcorders and developed the system well before the release of the FZ10. It was not a simple or cheap system to develop.

Many companies haven't gone to the expense of developing stabilization systems. Olympus used a Canon stabilized lens in their famous 2Mp UZI. Canon has had stabilized lenses for 35mm cameras and for binoculars for many years so it wasn't a big R & D effort to modify them for their non-DSLR cameras. They had a 2.5 Mp camera with the same lens as the UZI but let Panasonic steal the march with stabilization. I was surprised it took Sony so long to integrate it as well since they have had the technology in their camcorders for many years.

There are several major manufacturers who don't have either optical stabilization or decent high ISO performance. At least Fuji has developed the high ISO capability with acceptable noise. Stabilization will give better photos of still subjects in limited light, but if anything is moving you just get a blur when you use the stabilization to shoot at lower shutter speeds. I don't use my 12X Panasonic for general photography, so stabilization works out better for me. But the high ISO in the Fuji cameras like the f30 and S6000 is a much better approach for general purpose photography IMO.

I would be hard pressed to buy a camera with high contrast and no contrast controls. And I see no reason for a large camera without a hot shoe or even a sync connector. Even so I would probably buy a S6000 if they put stabilization on it.

I agree with MT that you can lose a lot of good photos waiting for just the right camera to come out. I think Fuji considers their high ISO to be an adequate substitute for stabilization, and in most cases they are right. Everything on a Fuji seems to be designed by them, unlike some companies. So I would guess they are unlikely to buy stabilization from someone else. It isn't a sure thing by any means that waiting will get you a Fuji with both stabilization and their great 1/1.7 6Mp sensor plus the good internal noise reduction.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2006, 4:41 PM   #5

I have a question about image stabilization as well. I notice on my S6000fd, there is a Picture Stabilization option on the command dial. Is this the same thing everyone is talking about, or is the IS a different feature that can be turned on at any time in any other mode?

Thanks
Rich
bud2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2006, 6:16 PM   #6

On the s6000fd , picture stabilisation basically boosts the ISO and allows flash if necessary , to give you the fastest shutter speed and the ability to freeze motion, thus giving a blur free picture.

Other cameras use true image stabilisation, ie the camera detects shake transmitted through your hands and shifts either a lens element, or the sensor to cancel the shake out.

This lets you take shake free images at typically 2 or 3 stops below normal, ie my camera + x1.7 tcon reaches 734mm, so generally I would need to have a shutter speed at 1/734s or faster when handheld to reduce blur due to shake.

Stabilisation lets me shoot at around 1/180s or even 1/90s handheld at 734mm !

Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2006, 5:12 PM   #7

Sintares wrote:
Quote:
On the s6000fd , picture stabilisation basically boosts the ISO and allows flash if necessary , to give you the fastest shutter speed and the ability to freeze motion, thus giving a blur free picture.

Other cameras use true image stabilisation, ie the camera detects shake transmitted through your hands and shifts either a lens element, or the sensor to cancel the shake out.

This lets you take shake free images at typically 2 or 3 stops below normal, ie my camera + x1.7 tcon reaches 734mm, so generally I would need to have a shutter speed at 1/734s or faster when handheld to reduce blur due to shake.

Stabilisation lets me shoot at around 1/180s or even 1/90s handheld at 734mm !

And that works well for reducing handheld "camera shake" but does absolutely nothing for subject movement. Unfortunately many users (particularly new users) are convinced that IS will take care of subject movement as well as camera shake and have to find out the hard way that it is not so. If IS is important to someone, then by all means purchase an IS equipped camera. For myself I would rather have a cam with great high ISO capability than IS, though both would be nice.

Clyde
Clyde Atkinson is offline   Reply With Quote