Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jun 24, 2003, 8:34 PM   #1

Default S602 - Shell I be dissapointed?

Just bought a new S602 and what I get is not even close to what the expectation was. I mean I am not an expert in digital cameras, (actually in any cameras, which you will see soon when you read this posting) but even I can notice that my S602 is acting funny. Not sure if its the cam's fault or my fault and would really appreciate your help. Three questions: 1.When I press the button to take a picture, the cam actually takes the picture after few seconds, no matter how I change the settings, which means when I try to take a pic of my 5 years old smiling at me, in fact I get an image when he has already run away. 2. Also, do I have to manually pop up the flash every time? Is it not supposed to come up automatically if/when more light is needed? 3. And finally the only time when pics come out sharp is when the object does not move, but if I take some sports event, or something like that, the pics come out just terrible (in the auto mode, as well as in S, A and P modes have tried various speeds). Please, advice how to fix these problems, or I have to accept the fact that my wife was right when was telling me not to buy this thing but to go away for a weekend instead.
goga is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 24, 2003, 9:36 PM   #2
djb

see my "reply" in general q & a.

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2003, 5:55 AM   #3

1. the 602 is actually one of the faster focusers out there, so a few seconds is definitely unnatural. make sure that i) your hand is not covering any part of the front sensors of the camera, especially the dark red window right above the lens, ii) try spot focus on your camera, and iii) make sure your camera is not in macro or supermacro mode, unless you are very close to your subject.

and as the rest have mentioned, the half-press to get a focus lock is all important, and you should perfect that technique. this basically means you are "on standby" waiting for something to happen, but that's the way with digital cameras unless you go dSLR.

2. yes you have to manually pop up the flash every time you want to use it. it is such that it's harder to keep the flash off than to keep it on, so my guess is if you want to use it all the time, then keep it up all the time and vice versa. one manufaturer i don't remember which, tried the pop up automatically thing, and many times it would pop up unexpectedly on people when they _didn't_ want it to come on. so this is the compromise/solution.

3. not having enough light is always a bane, especially with young children that like to move around, as you may not be able to get a fast shutter speed. you can either keep the flash up, make for better lighting, go into S mode and adjust for a fast shutter speed, and/or adjusting the ISO values up a few, to 200 or 400 (pictures will become noiser though). also check out the sequential & burst mode settings, which will fix the shutter speed for fast captures, although if you don't have enough light the pics may still come out bad.

lastly, browse through various forums, check out the links by given by Mike Peat in the general Q&A, and also www.shortcourses.com for some basics in digital photography (and photography in general). this will help you learn how to adjust the various settings for different situations better.

the 602 is a great camera, and certainly if used to its potential will please most people. best of luck, and let us know how your endeavors turn out.

Somy
somynex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2003, 7:04 AM   #4

Thanks alot!
goga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2003, 8:30 AM   #5

Quote:
2. yes you have to manually pop up the flash every time you want to use it. it is such that it's harder to keep the flash off than to keep it on, so my guess is if you want to use it all the time, then keep it up all the time

Don't forget the built in flash can also increase the delay between shots, as it charges (and uses up battery power). If you keep using flash a great deal, you risk a meltdown crash on your media card, if writing that last big file and re-charging flash with a low batt.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2003, 9:17 AM   #6

Default Shell I be dissapointed?

It looks like most of your questions were answered but I will give a little advice about sport pics. I shoot with a 602 and like it just fine. Generally I will set the camera on "S" for shutter speed and set the shutter speed at 800 or 1000 if at all possible with the ISO setting at 400. The camera does have a little delay from when you push the button to when the pic is taken but it should be only a fraction of a second. If you would like to see some of my work go to:

www.k1par.com

and click on the Downeast Maine Photo Site link. The 2003 Little League Photos are all with a 602. :lol:
k1par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2003, 4:14 PM   #7

Nice Pics! It froze the chopper blades O.K. That's pretty fast shutter, even for ISO400. I suppose the other bit of advice is, expect to under expose a bit, even at full aperture, because you can pull up the pics in editing.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2003, 3:33 PM   #8

goga,

You might want to try taking some sport pictures in the continuous mode. I have some great shots of my son playing soccer, one inparticular is of him taking a shot on goal in mid-air. Also being a newbie myself, someone recommened that I start taking pictures in P mode. That is where I have learned tons!

It really is a great camera just practice and have fun. Happy shooting!

Ang
futbol mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2003, 3:11 AM   #9

goga -

(1) Try some different metering modes(spot and average are usually the most useful IMO).

(2) Be certain to have plenty of light available, especially for action shots. The s602 focuses faster in bright light.

(3) Be sure you are not covering the red window above the lens with your hand when shooting. This is a focus assist sensor.

(4) DO NOT use AUTO mode. Use manual mode or one of the priority modes.

(5) For indoor shots, an external flash is needed. The built in flash is really a gimick(as on most cams). Note that you need to custom white balance the external flashes or you will have strong color casts in most cases IME.

(6) TO focus faster, aim on your subject to an area where a contrasting vertical line is present for quickest focus.

(7) Don't be afraid to use ISO 200 or 400 if light availabe is low and you can not use a flash. In event you have too much noise, develop carefully produced noise profiles for and purchase www.neatimage.com . Used PROPERLY, the program will perform what some might consider near miracles in some cases. The full version for $30 is more than a bargain.

(8) Learn to use the burst modes, especially the last 5 mode. These will greatly increase the number of usable action shots you capture.

Good luck.

-Chris
WmAx is offline   Reply With Quote