Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Dec 21, 2006, 8:13 AM   #1

If you've read any reviews on the S6000, you know that the biggest gripe is that it does not have IS, and while I wish it did, I wanted to see how higher ISO on the 6000 would compare the the lower ISO superzooms out there.

From what I've read, IS usually enables you to save about 2-4 stops depending on who you ask. So if you normally shoot at 1/60 you can do it at 1/15 with IS....

OK, So lets assume that you can use a shutter speed at 1/4 the speed, or in other words, 1/4 the amount of light with IS. In order for the 6000 to take that same shot at the same shutter speed, the would need 4 times the light. So that should equate to 4 times the ISO film speed rating.

If my logic is correct (let me know if I'm missing something) then a decent comparsion between these camera to tests the merits of IS is to compare ISO100 on the Canon vs. ISO400 on the Fuji

Well, here is a test shot from Im. Res. site.... you be the judge... this is from the center of the frame (corner shots were worse for the Canon, as you might guess)

While I do see some noise with the Fuji, the difference are not that great to my eye. Of course the Fuji is still displaying for more detail.

What do you guys think?
Attached Images

ohcello is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 21, 2006, 8:23 AM   #2

In for all those times where you are you not at full zoom or have enough light, let see how much the Fuji blows away the Canon when both at 100 ISO
Attached Images

Old Dec 21, 2006, 10:02 AM   #3

Nice comparison shots. But, in my opinion, they don't really prove much of anything. The reality is that either camera will produce excellent photographs. To scrutinize them on a computer monitor opens them up for personal interpretation of which image is better. I think if the images from both cameras were printed it would be difficult to say which image came from which camera.

Please don't misunderstand what I'm saying here. You have illustrated that the image stabilization, in this instance, makes little or no differerence. But those who insist on having image stabilization will never be satisfied with a Fuji camera. I am on my third Fuji digital camera. I probably will not purchase another Fuji, but image stabilization is not even a consideration.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2006, 10:52 AM   #4

I agree with jp here...while interesting, this comparison doesn't reflect real life usage. If you're going to use a tripod and take a still life picture, you would use the lowest ISO setting on each camera. In that case, the results will be excellent for either cam. It's when you try to take a picture of a moving subject, in a low light situation that things will start breaking down for the S3. IS doesn't help you with a moving subject - you're going to have to crank up the ISO in order to get the shutter speed up to prevent blur. Heaven help you if you have to push your S3 up to ISO 800...

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fuji...00fd/page6.asp

Things are close at ISO 200...after that, forget it.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2006, 4:18 PM   #5

I agree that if you printed both full images on a 4x6 and maybe even an 8x10, they would be very similar, but for me, there are 2 other considerations:

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"1) The better quality of the 'close up' or 100% image, the more I feel I can crop and still print an 8x10 or 5x7 print, etc. So I feel the Fuji would allow much more freedom becuase of the quality of the detail compared to the s3IS.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"2) I find that I view many of my images on computer monitors ONLY. In other words, out of all the images I take and keep, I only print about 10% of them. The rest I'll pull up and enjoy on my monitor from time to time. So for me, how they look up close at hi-res is a factor.

Thanks for your input! The s6000 remains on my short list and I'll probably pull the trigger in a month or so.

ohcello
Old Dec 21, 2006, 5:18 PM   #6

Don't wait too long - rebate offer expires 1/31/07.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2006, 10:51 PM   #7
Administrator

ohcello wrote:
Quote:
What do you guys think?
Look closely at the images. Either my eyes are getting bad (which is quite possible), or the focus points are different.

The Canon images look sharper in the background and the Fuji images look sharper in the foreground to my eyes. I don't think the focus points were the same.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2006, 10:15 AM   #8

theJimC wrote:
Quote:
ohcello wrote:
Quote:
What do you guys think?
Look closely at the images. Either my eyes are getting bad (which is quite possible), or the focus points are different.

The Canon images look sharper in the background and the Fuji images look sharper in the foreground to my eyes. I don't think the focus points were the same.
I'm not seeing what you are seeing. Neither one of these cameras are high enough quality (in my opinion) to try to make a comparison as detailed as you are suggesting. Especially from an image that has been posted on a website. I just think that for general photography, any camera you purchase today will take satisfactory pictures. It isn't worth the big debate (again, in my opinion).
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2006, 5:35 PM   #9

I think you ought to read the copyright notice before borrowing images from other sites and posting them here:

Image is copyright (c) 2006, The Imaging Resource, all rights reserved. Visitors to this site may download images for local, private, non-commercial use. Individuals who have themselves downloaded the images may print copies on their personal printers as an aid to evaluating the performance of the camera(s) involved. Other than this explicit usage, the images may not be published, reproduced, or distributed in print or electronic and/or digital media, or linked or otherwise referenced on the internet or other digital information networks without the express written consent of The Imaging Resource.

Other than that I think the Canon is clearly a bit more detailed when comparing to ISO 400, while they're very close at ISO 100. But I also doubt you would normally see more than about 2 stops advantage in low light from
the IS. I also think it's important to note that the Canon lens is a stop brighter when zoomed in.

I would probably prefer the Fuji, but that's mainly because I prefer the ergonomics, the wide angle lens, and the ability to shoot RAW. Some might prefer the Canon for the swivel screen, longer telephoto, and IS.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2006, 11:25 PM   #10

Good call about copyright. Agree about ergonomics. Disagree about detail and image quality. You're looking at sharpened jpeg out of camera for the 6000. Turning camera sharpening to soft gives better results. ShootRAW and you get a bigger, better, more adjustable image. Finepix software is pretty good for manipulating the RAW files and you can always download s7rawfor free to getslightly different controls. That's if you don't have Adobe Camera Raw.It's not an apples-to-apples comparison, but if you're the kind who wants more control over the images for the best possible output, that RAW capability blows the s3IS out of the box. Advantage: Fuji. Too bad aboutIS,maybe next time.
artlmntl is offline   Reply With Quote