Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Dec 27, 2006, 12:42 AM   #1

I am ready to put in my order for the S9100, and want to get everything I need. Do I need any filters? I use a polarizer with my film camera, the kind where you rotate the little ring aroundthe filter. Iam unsure if one is needed for digital, and I am confused on whether the type of polarizing filter I use with film is the same as digital. Also, I have an extra 55mm polarizer and UV filter in my bag - is this the thread size for the S9100?

Thank you!
poppop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 27, 2006, 7:46 AM   #2

I believe the S9100 lens has a 58mm thread, so you would need an adapter ring to use your existing filters (or obtain 58mm filters). Are filters needed? You'll probably get mixed responses to that question. Some people keep a UV filter on at all times to protect the lens...I don't.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2006, 8:16 PM   #3

ok - thankyou! Do you use a polarizer? What kind?
poppop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2006, 8:28 PM   #4

I do not own a polarizing filter. I do own a UV fllter, it is a Cokin, 55mm.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2006, 10:51 AM   #5

On rare occasions, I use a linear polarizer filter that I purchased at the local Ritz Camera store. I also have a UV filter that I purchased there that I leave attached to my lens most of the time. The UV filter is primarily for protection of the lens element. The polarizer filter makes a difference in some situations, but if I had not already purchased one I probably wouldn't get one. What little bit of correction I need to do my pictures can be done just as easily in Photoshop.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2006, 1:48 PM   #6

You are waisting your money on filters with digital photography. Filter companys are worried about film loss sales. Put your money into a good software program such as PS. I have owned many very expensivelenses and never felt the need for a filter to protect the lens...I see a filter as a barrier between a quality photo.
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote