Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Dec 28, 2006, 11:01 AM   #1

Hello! Newbie here!

I've had my FinePix S5200 for just over 6 months and love it.

Just wondering if anyone has any tips...for example...when I turn my flash off and use only natural light...if there is any movement at all the pic is blurred. Any way to remedy this? I was told when I bought it that it took excellent pics without blur.

I'd really like to take pics without the flash since they turn out so much better to me!

Thankyou!
funtotakepics is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2006, 11:43 AM   #2

Taking pictures in natural light, without the flash, forces the camera to use slower shutter speeds. That is the plain and simple fact about natural light photography. The camera must be held perfectly still to get good clear pictures. The best way to accomplish this is to use a tripod or place the camera on something that will provide firm support. Some people use a beanbag.

Generally speaking, for handheld photography, the shutter speed should be at least 1/focal length. That means that if you have zoomed your lens to an equivalent of 100 mm, the absolute minimum shutter speed that you should use for handheld photography would be 1/100 sec.. And that is if you have a good steady hand.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2006, 2:51 PM   #3
Administrator

Try manually setting your ISO value higher, like 400 or 800. There will be more image noise at higher ISO speeds but that's just the way it works. Some people think it looks more like film as noise often looks like high speed film grain. A higher ISO means a faster shutter speed in low light situations. Be sure to set it back to Auto or 64 when using in bright outdoors.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2006, 3:17 PM   #4

Thankyou very much for your help!

I actually do use a tripod and it still is blurry. I guess I just need to play around more with the ISO and the shutter speed.

My hubby bought me two umbrella lights for my "studio" (to take pics of my kids...not that I actually have a studio) so I've been working with those without the flash (with a tripod). I have been using Auto ISO so I'll try setting the ISO myself!

Thanks again! I appreciate it!
Old Dec 28, 2006, 6:06 PM   #5

fun,

Could you post a couple of pics so we can see what is going on?

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2006, 1:32 PM   #6

Sure...here's 1.It was taken without the flash...ISO 400...everything else was set to Auto.

I was using a tripod. If I turn the flash on they do not blur at all...I'm sure it's just me!

Thanks so much!
Old Dec 29, 2006, 1:34 PM   #7

Here's one more!

Same thing...ISO 400 everything else set to Auto. (These are unedited also...)

Thankyou!

Old Dec 29, 2006, 3:00 PM   #8

According to the EXIF data, both pictures were taken at 1/20 sec.. The first picture of the two children looks to me like the faces are pretty much in focus. The blurriness appears to me to be from movement of the children's arms. The EXIF data said that the focus was good on this image. The faces of the children might have moved slightly. But such a slow shutter speed will not freeze the movement of the children's arms. The reason the flash will do this is because the duration of the flash determines the length of the exposure, and an electronic flash burst is always shorter than 1/1000 sec..

The EXIF data for the second image indicates that there was an out of focus warning. The autofocus on this camera is not as responsive as you get from a digital SLR. Do you recall if you got a focus confirmation beep on the second image?

Just another thought. You said that the ISO was set to 400, and that everything else was on auto. But the EXIF data indicates that both images were taken in manual mode, NOT auto.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2006, 4:31 PM   #9

Hmmm...maybe I did take them in Manual...but I'm almost positive I shot them in Auto...

Anyway...I don't recall if I heard a beep for the focus...probably not. (I'm really new to this..can you tell?)

So, should I try manual and set my shutter speed? Would that help with the movement blur?

Thanks for all your help!
Old Dec 29, 2006, 4:56 PM   #10

fun,

jp is right - you shot them in Manual, and you had a blur warning and an out of focus warning on Daughter1...your camera was trying to tell you something...

Don't be afraid to experiment - that's how you learn. Just don't change more than one variable at a time - if you do, you won't know which one helped or made things worse. Next time you take a picture on the tripod, repeat the same pic again, but this time use the camera self-timer. Maybe you're pushing down too hard on the shutter release and shaking the camera. Doesn't take much a 1/20 second to mess things up.

Your pics can certainly be spruced up a bit by post processing...hope you don't mind that I tried...she makes a lovely model!

the Hun

Attached Images

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote