Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Dec 28, 2006, 11:06 PM   #1

I probaly should have posted this some time ago but i have been having problems with my F10. I get some pic with whited out faces. I thought maybe it was the flash but this seems to happen with the flash off. It happens indoors and outdoors.

So my question is what are the best setting for this camera. I just took it out of the box and never touched any of the settings.

Thanks,
Frank

Netman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 29, 2006, 7:11 AM   #2

Frank,

In order for us to help you, we need to see a few pics that show the problem. Post a few with flash on, flash off, inside, outside. Make sure your EXIF data is intact.

the Hun

EDIT: Frank, I just noticed you have threads plastered all over the forum looking for advice on a new camera purchase...am I wasting my time here?
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2006, 7:35 AM   #3

rinniethehun wrote:
Quote:
Frank,

In order for us to help you, we need to see a few pics that show the problem. Post a few with flash on, flash off, inside, outside. Make sure your EXIF data is intact.

the Hun

EDIT: Frank, I just noticed you have threads plastered all over the forum looking for advice on a new camera purchase...am I wasting my time here?
No. I would really just rather keep my current camera. I was doing a lot of research last night before this post and having second thoughts about getting a new camera. I would rather jsut see if I can get the pics I want from my current camera.

I was thinking about going with the Canon SD800IS but really dont want to go and drop $400 on a new camera.

I will sort though some pics and post them. What is the EXIF data?

Old Dec 29, 2006, 1:47 PM   #4

Here is a pic that was taken outside and the face is whited out. This type of thing happens alot.

Attached Images

Old Dec 29, 2006, 1:48 PM   #5

Here is another pic taken the same way but came out good.

Attached Images

Old Dec 29, 2006, 1:49 PM   #6

I thought maybe the flash was causing this whiteout problem. I would take the pics burther away and zoom in with the same results. Then I turned the flash off and still got the same thing.

Old Dec 29, 2006, 4:03 PM   #7

Frank,

Simple solution...on the dinosaur pic, notice the lizards are perfectly exposed? That's because you were aiming at them when the camera locked on. The object in the foreground (as far as the camera is concerned) was ignored. Next time, lock on the main subject first, then pan away to frame your pic. Go ahead...experiment - try a few shots.

By the way, your EXIF data was stripped from those pics - I couldn't tell much about how you shot them. Try some different software to resize your pics - one that leaves the EXIF intact.

the Hun

Old Dec 29, 2006, 4:19 PM   #8

I can post the original if needed. I host all my pics on my website using Coppermine photo gallery and all the pics get resized automatically using GD. So it doenst surprise me that it got stripped.

How do I see the EXIF data of a pic?

How do I make sure I lock on to the correct object?

Also what would be the best way to get familar with the best ways to take pic. I mean is there a taking pics 101?

Thanks,
frank

Old Dec 29, 2006, 4:19 PM   #9

Sorry Frank,

I just noticed your earlier post asking what EXIF is. EXIF or Exif, stands for EXchangeable image file format, which is a standard for storing information in digital pictures. Infomation included is shutter speed, ISO, F-stop, whether or not flash was used, auto or manual mode, scene modes, etc. Handy info to have, so you can refer to it and see why maybe your pictures didn't come out as well as planned. Most modern digicams embed this Exif information into the pictures. Unfortunately, some photo manipulation software strips the info from the pics...like whatever you used, or maybe you uploaded it to an online photo storage site which did it for you.

Took the liberty of playing around with one of your pics - hope you don't mind - really a very nice shot.

the Hun

Old Dec 29, 2006, 4:20 PM   #10

Sorry Frank,

I just noticed your earlier post asking what EXIF is. EXIF or Exif, stands for EXchangeable image file format, which is a standard for storing information in digital pictures. Infomation included is shutter speed, ISO, F-stop, whether or not flash was used, auto or manual mode, scene modes, etc. Handy info to have, so you can refer to it and see why maybe your pictures didn't come out as well as planned. Most modern digicams embed this Exif information into the pictures. Unfortunately, some photo manipulation software strips the info from the pics...like whatever you used, or maybe you uploaded it to an online photo storage site which did it for you.

Took the liberty of playing around with one of your pics - hope you don't mind - really a very nice shot.

the Hun

Attached Images