Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

View Poll Results: What is YOUR opinion?
Rubbish, boy-o, Fuji's decision had nothing to do with us moaning on the forums about it 2 20.00%
Good thing for Fuji for listening to our plead 6 60.00%
It would have been better if they stuck to xD only 0 0%
I have no idea what's goin' on 2 20.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 5, 2007, 5:40 AM   #1

Well, some months ago I started a thread and a poll (http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...76&forum_id=16) where I said that Fuji should look toward the SD as their xD format was losing them (some) customers. There were some posters on that thread that thought that would serve to nothing and that Fuji will never go SD. I simply said that consumer opinion does count A LOT and that threads and forums like this CAN change it all. I am sure Fuji must have been keeping an eye on the forums as not only on stevesforums but on others too people have been complaining and reacting towards the xD. Now, with the introduction of ther new A and F series consumer models, it seems that Fuji has indeed incorporated SD support. I say, great for Fuji! Good thing leaning a sharp ear towards the mouth of the consumer. Cheers to us for believing!
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 5, 2007, 7:41 AM   #2

That's some good news.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2007, 10:04 AM   #3

Oh great! I had better trash all my cameras now and buy new ones. I don't have any SD cards, but they are significantly less money. And since xD cards appear to becoming obsolete, I had better get rid of everything I have.

I don't mean to sound cynical. I think it is a good idea that Fuji is changing. That it isn't going to change my mind about buying another Fuji camera. That just isn't going to happen. There are other much better choices for me.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2007, 10:14 AM   #4

Who said anything about obsolescence?! Whyare people taking this as a sign that Fuji is making the xD obsolete? From my point of view it's more like they are reaching out to a wider range of consumers. I mean, the new cameras support SD AND xD. I just ordered a 2GB xD to use in my 2 Fuji cams and I don't feel the least bit worried and neither should you. Iseriously doubt the fact that even considering this unexpectedadd-on in Fuji's productrange, Fuji can allow itself to just drop the xD. That would be close to suicidal in today's market. I mean, who would trust such a company then? I sure wouldn't.

So I say we should all tuck ourselveswarm, don't worry and just enjoy the beautiful pictures coming from the superb SuperCCDs. Fuji is just showing cleverdecision making and there is nothing clever in dropping the xD... at least not in the near foreseable future.

Old Jan 5, 2007, 10:53 AM   #5

I don't care if this is obsolescence or not. I have all the xD cards I need. And I still am not going to buy another Fuji camera. Super CCD or not, there are other cameras and manufacturers that I will consider long before I purchase another Fuji.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2007, 9:36 AM   #6

very good move imo... its like when they removed the proprietary multiport connector on the F10 when it was upgraded to the F20/30/31fd

now they should bring optical image stabilization on the F-series (not the same as the "Picture Stabilization" they have)
CVonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2007, 9:44 AM   #7

One good, one bad, appears to be the way Fuji goes.

For people into Fuji dSLRs, it appears that the new S5 Pro will only work with CF, no xD slot. That's just wrong. I play around with a S3 Pro and if I was looking to 'upgrade' to the S5 Pro, it would seem that all my xD cards would be rendered useless.

While I applaud Fuji's move on supporting both xD and SD on their new compact cameras, I also strongly disagree with their crippling their top pro camera. I don't care if the S5 is based on a D200 body, excluding the xD alltogether is not fair towards Fuji customers!
Old Jan 30, 2007, 4:38 PM   #8

It was annoying when I purchased an XD card only to look next to it to see an SD almost half the price, I now tend to look at the brand of camera I am buying to see what memory it takes before buying it

I own so many different cards due to all the different gadgets about by now, I have SD, XD, MMC, Compact Flash, Sony Memory stick, so there is always one type around should I need it.

Although all doing the same job there is such a price difference, and what with SD being so cheap now it makes sense for manufacturers to use those.

The only thing is memory size I am sure certain cards like Compact flash will always bepopular due to the capacity they can hold.
deanbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2007, 11:49 PM   #9

strange I got 2 1GB xD cards very cheap at bhphotovideo.com almost the same price as fast SD cards

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote