Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jan 21, 2007, 12:52 PM   #11

Serafin-

You reposted my post without saying a word. Did you have a comment or a question?

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2007, 12:34 PM   #12

Excellent comparison shots, mtclimber. I think thoseaptly demonstrate that the Fuji is all the camera a good number of advanced amateur photographers will ever need. Really, unless you are into some aspect of photography that requires specialized lenses (ultra wide angle, or telephoto beyond 300mm), huge enlargements (how many times do you really make anything larger than 8x10?), or wide-aperture fast lenses, the Fuji will about do it all for you,and in a lighter, smaller package. And frankly, I sure prefer the separate knobs, dials, and buttons for accessing functions over the endless scrolling through bottomless menu's of those bottom rung SLR's.

I see many folks running around with the bottom rung SLRs with the "kit lens"that can't begin to match the range covered by the Fuji. Talk to them and you find that is the only lens they own. I've seen a rare few who got a long zoom lens in the 28-200 range and leave that on all the time ... so if they leave that on all the time, how does that differ from the Fuji with its fixed 28-300?

I don't know if folks don't know about the Fuji (or its predecessors, the Minolta 7Hi, A1 & A2, Sony R1, etc.), or they think an SLR makes them look more "professional", or even if they are uncomfortable when faced with the numerous function buttons because all they want to do is shoot on full auto. IMHO,an advanced shooter who wants more control than full auto offers can probably appreciate the Fuji more than a snapshooter can.Bottom line, this type of camerastacks up just fine against a bottom rung SLR& kit lens.

jZ

AutoXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2007, 11:13 AM   #13

It's very easy to "talk tough" when we start comparing images from one of these advanced Fuji prosumer cameras, because they take very nice images. In fact, just about any digital camera on the market will produce excellent images if the photographer learns how to use the camera properly, and if the photographer knows how to take pictures.

But to suggest that the prosumer camera is really all that anyone should ever need demonstrates a lack of foresight. The reality is that the digital SLR camera will outperform other types of cameras and are generally much more durable. Maybe some people with their digital SLR and just the kit lens don't have all of the lens power that someone does with their Fuji S6000 or S9100, but they have a camera that is fulfilling their needs for the present. And if their needs change they probably won't have to go out and buy a whole new camera. All they will have to do is purchase a lens that they need.

Don't get me wrong. I have a Fuji S9000. I enjoy using it. It takes very nice pictures. But I have also used a Nikon D70, and there is a big difference in the speed of the auto focus, the quality of the viewfinder, the faster burst mode for continuous shooting, a bigger buffer that enables more continuous shooting. And the camera itself is just plain better built and much more durable. The Fuji cameras take good pictures, that's true. And if they meet your needs, that's wonderful. But as soon as I can, I'm going to switch to a digital SLR and "suffer" through the limited zoom range of the lens just so I know I have a camera I can depend on. I have had to send mine to Fuji repair once to have the USB port replaced. If I wanted everything to work properly on mine I would have to send it in again because my CF slot will not accept cards anymore. But Fuji repair tells me I can still use the xD without doing any damage to the camera. Otherwise it would be another $150 to get the CF slot repaired. And then there is always the concern that my command dial will break. The camera is out of warranty now. And that would be another chunk of cash to get that repaired. With what I have spent for the camera and repairs I could have had a much better built digital SLR. Limited zoom range? Yes, but the quality of the images is good enough that I could0 crop to get anything closer, and still have a good image.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2007, 11:31 PM   #14

I just got the 9100 yesterday.
I kicked around getting a D-SLR or the Fuji.
The SLR I would want with a kit lens and a second lens to match the 10.7x zoom on the 9100 would have set me back almost $400.00 additional.

The fuji's all in one design is fine for me and gives me all the control I could want.

It is my first digital camera (I am no stranger to silver halide technology).

So far I'm fairly impressed. I have not taken it outside to play yet but it seems to be a decent camera......................

third day with it

madecov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2007, 7:58 PM   #15

I have to agree with AutoXer. I think many are losing site of the basic reasons for buying the bridge camera vs DSLRs. The technical advantages and disadvantages are obvious. The not so obvious is the convenience factor. These cameras are the Swiss army knives of the industry. The good news is the advancement in technology has made these cameras, much less of a compromise as compared to DSLRs. The fact that they are being compared now to DSLRs is proof that these cameras now hold a place in the professional marketplace. I own 35mm and medium format cameras and have never considered buying digital until recently. I have a few point and shoots around the house, but nothing serious.

These cameras are intriguing to me now. I love the idea of carrying 1 camera without the external flash and spare lenses. There is great value to this. I think of all of the photo ops I missed because I didn't want to carry around a camera bag full of stuff to get what I wanted.

The image quality is finally for real and from what I have seen the Fujis take beautiful pictures. I think that a lot of DSLR owners are buying these now for the same reasons. I will be buying one of the Fujis in the very near future. Bells and whistles aside, I believe these to be the best of the superzooms. At the end of the day, the only thing that counts is the final image. These cameras seem to do it well.
My 2 cents

Soundman500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2007, 8:59 PM   #16

photographers take pictures, not cameras

fuji finepix 3800 (3meg 6x optical zoom)

Last edited by bernabeu; Jun 27, 2015 at 5:24 PM.
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2007, 9:31 PM   #17

I couldn't agree more bernabeu, but you can't fault a good photographer for wanting thebest tools.....

Soundman500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2007, 10:24 PM   #18

That's a lovely pic, bernabeu, and proves your point. But, as Soundman says, "you can't fault a good photographer for wanting thebest tools". And not just the "best" tool, but also the tool most appropriate to the need.

I like MT/Sarah's KM 5D sample photo better than the Fuji. While the Fuji looks sharper, the KM 5D has a pleasingly smooth look that would sharpen up nicely in Photoshop, and also, to my eye, contains a bit more detail.

That said, I really like my Fuji S6000fd. Here's a photo I took a few days ago. It has been resized (but not cropped), and had some levels and USM applied. I also had to use fairly high .jpg compression to fit the forum's file size limit.

Taken full zoom, ISO 400, shutter 1/300, F 7.1. My default settings in "P" mode for outdoor use are EV -2/3, and camera sharpening set to "soft".
Attached Images

flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2007, 12:27 AM   #19

Very nice photo.

I like that.
madecov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2007, 7:43 PM   #20

For those who are interested, the price of the S9100 has just dropped at B&H Photo to only $399.95 ...

jZ
AutoXer is offline   Reply With Quote