Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jan 5, 2007, 6:08 AM   #1

people seem to own this camera here, and no one has bought one online for a good price? Is there something wrong with the camera that not many people seemto have it here? Am I asking these questions in the wrong part of the forum if so please tell me. Or please suggest a forum that has these answers for new comers.

Thanks
Serafin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 5, 2007, 7:51 AM   #2

Here's a couple:

http://www2.butterflyphoto.com/shop/...aspx?sku=S9100
http://www.clickfordigital.com/produ...oducts_id=7901

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2007, 9:51 AM   #3

Try Froogle?

Not that the S9100 is a bad camera, but I believe most people who research it find that A) for just a few $$ more they can get a DSLR or B) the S6500fd is as good or better of a camera, and less $$ to boot.
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2007, 9:55 AM   #4

You are asking your questions correctly. But, in my opinion, this type of camera is quickly losing its appeal with the introduction of the very competitively priced digital SLR cameras. The 9100 is a very nice camera. But you are not going to really be able to evaluate pictures that anyone posts, because they have to be significantly reduced in size in order to display them on the Web. Fuji is trying to expand the market for this camera by introducing the infrared model. They are hoping it will appeal to law enforcement agencies. But I don't think it will be a big seller in the consumer photography market. For about $100 more, it is now possible to get a digital SLR that will clearly outperform this camera, especially at high ISO settings. I am comfortable with my S9000 because I am on a tight budget that would prevent me from investing in additional lenses and other accessories. And for the type of photography that I do, the limitations of this camera are tolerable. But we are living in a time where as soon as a new model is introduced the consumers are already speculating about what should be included in the next camera. People want and expect more, and I think their expectations go beyond what a camera of this type can deliver.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2007, 11:32 AM   #5

I have the S9100. I got a good deal on it from Dell about 2 months ago. I think it's a decent camera. I like the 28mm wide angle. I like the articulated LCD. I like the dual memory slots. However, it's kind of big compared to many other superzooms. Also the lens is not so bright at 300 mm full zoom (F4.9), compared with many of its competitors (f3.2 to 3.7 or so). Lastly, it doesn't have image stabilization. Also, its little brother, the S6000fd, is $100 cheaper and takes better shots in low light.

Lots of people bought the S9000 a year ago. The S9100 is a slight upgrade to that. However, the price of DSLR's has dropped dramatically in the last year. If you are happy with a kit lens, you can get a Pentax K110 for slightly less than the S9100. As a former owner of a Pentax *ist DS, I can tell you that the picture quality of this camera at ISO's 800 and above is better than that of the S9100.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2007, 6:57 PM   #6

I just got this camera for xmas. Butterflyphoto.com was the best deal I could find($454/free shipping). I tried many sites, including ebay, and with the shipping and everything butterfly photo was the cheapest price. I am new to photography and would eventually like to step up to a dSLR, but I don't have the money to spend $200 a piece on lenses, especially until I am certain this is a hobby I really want to persue.

I did a lot of research before deciding on this model. Some things that sold me on it were the use of AA batteries, the manual zoom lens, the price, and the features. Last weekend I went to LA and used the trip as an opprotunity to take this camera out for a test run, and I took almost 500 pics with it(needed 10 pics of everything in different settings ). And while the camera isn't perfect, it did what I wanted very well.

Some of the things that I learned I didn't like were: A) While continuous shooting the screen goes blank so you can't see what you are shooting. B) Takes a long time to store continuous shots, even if you only get 1 shot and it just happens to be in that mode(15-20 secs). I think I got a fake sandisk card so that might contibute to the slow store times (not sure, got a 2gb card on ebay for $70. It looks real but for that price I doubt it). C) EVF and LCD can't be on at the same time (although I'm sure this saves battery life and I got used to it, so it wasn't a big deal) D) Flash recharge time was a bit long(about 5secs), and you can't take a pic until the flash charges.

Some things I learned I liked about the camera were: A) The 28mm wide angle lense B) Ease of use, all the buttons to change settings are located so well, that by the end of the trip, I was making changes while looking throught the EVF. C) The battery life. The batteries that came with the camera barely lasted a day, and all the reviews I read stated that this camera was a battery hog. However, I bought Energizer 2500mah NiMH batteries, and they lasted a lot longer than expected. Out of the 500 pics I took I changed my batteries at about picture 400(and that was with a lot of "on and off" and reviewing pics while getting driven around town, it is a new toy after all). I was really impressed. D) Start up time is lightning fast. It seemed that as soon as I flipped the switch on I could snap a picture. E) Picture detail (this might be beacuse I am coming from a 2MP Canon ELPH thing, so I might not know what a "good picture" is, so you might have to have someone else comment on this, but from what I can tell they look really good, even full size)

Overall, after that trip I feel I got a good value for the money. It's not a dSLR, and I see a lot of people using that as a "negative" aspect of this camera, however, my thought on that was "then I won't spend another grand(that I don't have) on lenses/accessories". I can just see me stewing in anticipation while I save my pennies to afford a lens/accessory I convince myself "I need." Seemed a bit like self torture. So for me, it's the right camera and it does what I want for the time being. Hope this helps.
OverXposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2007, 11:38 PM   #7

I just got this camera last week (ordered from Costco online $449+shipping). Also, there is now a $50 rebate at Fuji for digital cams costing over $200. I haven't put the camera through a lot of paces, like OverXposed has, but I have been working my way thru the manual. I am super happy with my decision on this camera. 28mm, the ease of use, the EVF has enough pixels its not overly grainy, the LCD is great, the creative options that are possible with what the camera has to offer. So far, for me, the camera is fantastic!

It took me about 2 months to do my research and decide on this camera. I went from trying to get what I wanted in a small point and shoot, looked as dSLRs and didn't want the hassle of the various lenses, and really really wanted the 28mm-300mm capacity, plus the 235k EVF and LCD. Even so, having made the decision, then I waited and waited for "the perfect price" - waited thru the holidays, hoping for a sale; waited for after holiday sales; and finally made my purchase when the price seemed so static. I also learned from a salesperson's perspective that cameras don't go on sale, they have price drops. Fuji has this rebate which makes the camera come in under $400.

If price is the big concern, do a price alert thru Pricegrabber.com or Nexttag.com or some such. At some of these sites you can also get price trend info and follow price drops for this or other cameras.

Go ahead and make the buy - you'll feel like a weight has lifted off your shoulders, plus you'll have a new camera to play with!

poppop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2007, 5:43 PM   #8

I gotta chime in on this one. Comparing an S9100 to any digital SLR results in one realizing each camera has its advantages- ultimate picture quality in huge enlargements,interchangable lenses, and maybe faster multi-frame shooting for the SLR vice smaller, lighter by 1/3, and some superior features like that flash PC cord connection that allows you to use professional studio flashes with the S9100. Certainly if your maximum print size is 8x10 or maybe even 11x14 picture quality is likely pretty darn close (I have 2 professionally printed 16x20 prints on my wall that came from a similar camera, the old Minolta 7Hi, which was only 5MP, and they stand up to anyone's scrutiny).

I have my Canon 20D for shooting weddings, Bar Mitzvahs, and portraits, so I understand perfectly the quality the larger sensor SLR's can deliver, but I found one doesn't really see the advantages until one is making some pretty large prints. As a result, when I wanted to just go shoot for fun, that Minolta 7Hi was the way to go for me (at least until the crap Sony sensor died and it was found to be unrepairable due to a lack of parts - Sony bought it back from me). Small, compact, light weight, never any dust on the sensor, great image quality, and all the lens I generally needed for "walk-about photography". The Fuji S9100 issimilar to my late, much-loved Minolta, which is why I'm considering gettingS9100 even though I have a pro-quality SLR.

However, anyone who thinks the prices are closeis definitely doing some sloppy math. Using B&H Camera pricing, the least expensive SLR body to be had is a Pentax 110D or a Nikon D50, both around$450 as of mid-January. But that is a body with NO LENS. And the basic kit lenses that come on these cameras cannot compare with the Fuji's 28-300 eqivalent. Adding a lens that equals the Fuji's 28-300requires buying an 18-200 zoom (28-340 with the 1.6x factor), the least expensive of which is the Sigma 18-200 for $379. So that lens and the Nikon body, for example, is about $830. The Fuji S9100 is only $480. Personally I don't think a price difference of $350 (73% more) is "just a little bit more". I think there is plenty of price room for the Fuji. to succeed.

Bottom line is, if you compare the features you really use and want, the Fuji just may compare quite wellto those bottom-rung SLR's and be all you need.

jZ

AutoXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2007, 10:22 PM   #9

Because I teach photography courses, I easily had two camera available to take to side by side photos for you to compare. The DSLR is a Konica-Minolta 5D and the ultrazoom is the Fuji S-6000fd. The Fuji S-6000 is 50 to 60% of the cost of the KM5D. Anyone for a half off sale?

After comparing what do you thinl?

MT/Sarah

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2007, 8:33 AM   #10

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Because I teach photography courses, I easily had two camera available to take to side by side photos for you to compare. The DSLR is a Konica-Minolta 5D and the ultrazoom is the Fuji S-6000fd. The Fuji S-6000 is 50 to 60% of the cost of the KM5D. Anyone for a half off sale?

After comparing what do you thinl?

MT/Sarah

Quote:
Thanks everyone for your answers I ended up getting a FZ50. Mainly because I allready have a substantial investment in SD cards.
Quote:
Personally I think the Fuji pic looks better than the Minolta.
Serafin is offline   Reply With Quote