Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jan 5, 2007, 5:35 PM   #1

I was taking long exposure shots of the moon over my garden. I took the first shot in my blog (http://picturegraphs.blogspot.com) over 30 seconds, it turned out ok. I then took the shot shown below - lo and behold, crazy speckling in the middle This is showing up now when I take dark photos, the longer the shutter is open, the more the speckles.. eg, less than a second, one or two, 30 seconds is what you see here. What the hell? Ever heard of anything like this before? I just got the camera on Tuesday, I'm devestated Are you not supposed to photograph bright things like the moon for 30 seconds? Any advice at all would be appreciated.

Attached Images

Quackles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 5, 2007, 10:53 PM   #2

Good Lord, I hope not. I have the S6000 and have taken a dozen moon shot swith no ill effects. Perhaps there is some debris on your lens?
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2007, 2:52 AM   #3

Certainly no debris visible to the naked eye.. will clean it to be sure. Same thing happens if I take a picture with the lens cap on, though. Surely with no lightsource, lt shouldn't pick up dirt.. 1t can't be that sensitive, Can it?!
Old Jan 6, 2007, 8:19 AM   #4

I tried to follow the link you posted, but I just get a "server not found" error. Is that blotch on the photo you posted exactly where the moon was when you were shooting previous photos?

Sometimes it is very difficult to see a smudge on the lens unless you view it from a certain angle, or hold the camera near an open window. I sincerely hope it is something a little dab with a microfiber lens cloth can take care of. If not, can you return the camera?
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2007, 9:23 AM   #5

It looks like it is in your first picture two, although very faint and not as noticeable as the second.

EDIT-The page can be reached at http://picturegraphs.blogspot.com/. The original post included a ) at the end. That is why the page wouldn't load.
sprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2007, 5:13 PM   #6

sprof wrote:
Quote:
It looks like it is in your first picture two, although very faint and not as noticeable as the second.

EDIT-The page can be reached at http://picturegraphs.blogspot.com/. The original post included a ) at the end. That is why the page wouldn't load.
By jove, you're right!! Didn't spot that!!! The reason it isn't as noticable in the 1st is that was a 4sec exposure, and the second was a 30sec. It's still broken.. I will return it, I just haven't decided whether or not to return it to the seller (ebay) or direct to fuji..
Old Jan 6, 2007, 9:23 PM   #7

Are you sure it is not a finger print or something smudged on the lens? Take another long exposer picture to make sure it is still there then clean the lens and try again.
sprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2007, 12:05 PM   #8

sprof wrote:
Quote:
Are you sure it is not a finger print or something smudged on the lens? Take another long exposer picture to make sure it is still there then clean the lens and try again.
Absolutely positive, I've bought a dedicated lens cleaning cloth and given it a jolly good scrubbing, it didn't improve, move, nothing. Looks pretty much identical to the way it was.
Old Jan 7, 2007, 6:16 PM   #9

Here's a picture taken with 30sec exposure and the lens cap on. Should be black, right? Not with my camera

Attached Images

Old Jan 8, 2007, 5:12 PM   #10

I had a strange ISO related issue with an S5600 a year back, that was probably a CCD issue.

See: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=16

It was still less than a month & Fuji was very prompt in ensuring I got a replacement issued.

What you're seeing is possibly a CCD issue as well. Contact Fuji tech support with the pictures & see what they have to say about it. Do keep us posted.

Cheers,
Lionel
lionellobo is offline   Reply With Quote