Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jan 14, 2007, 12:06 PM   #1

I currently have the fuji s5100. But some how on the flash door a little piece chipped off and it doesn't always close all the way. So I want to get a new camera. Mine still works but we will be going on vacation in a few months and I don't want to have to worry about the batteries falling out or worse it dies!

I really like the 5100. I found it was easy to use and fit my brain for function use. LOL! I really started playing with it the last few months and found it can do way more than I was using.....

But now that I have played with it for several years I wonder if I should look for more. Or just stay in a comfort zone and not spend as much money.

I take pictures of kids mainly. I do take a lot of pictures at their school and low light is a concern. Sport wise, diving, swim team and baseball. I have gotten amazing swim team pictures. Good baseball and diving...inconsistant. I have some amazing shots and some really bad ones. My goal is to get great diving shots.

I know I dont' want to go the route of an SLR.

So any input would be great!
spinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 14, 2007, 2:02 PM   #2

I had the S5100, have the S5200, and considered getting the S6000fd before deciding on the S9100, instead.

For casual shots and sports shots in low light, I think the S5200 gives you more bang for the bucks. The reason is its maximum aperture at 10X zoom (380 mm) is 3.2 as opposed to the maximum aperture of 4.9 for the S6000. The S6000 has the advantage of a wider angle 28mm setting for group shots and landscapes. It is a great performer in low light. It also has face detection.

They're both good cameras.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2007, 1:21 PM   #3

Spinning,

You sound a lot like me. I had an S5000 for the last 3 years and really enjoyed that camera. It took excellent 'snapshots' for the most part and I also got some great pictures of wildlife (mainly birds) and my favorite sport, dirt track racing. I'd been getting the bug though to 'upgrade' and financially couldn't afford a DSLR so finally broke down and bought the S6000fd. I can honestly say that I've been somewhat disappointed with the S6000. It's a different camera altogether than what I was used to. Not that it's not a good camera it's just that there was quite an adjustment to learn how to shoot the shots I was used to. The first thing I noticed was that indoors under available light and in 'auto', the ISO was always 800. To me this gave the pictures a 'grainy' look and most were somewhat blurred. I've been reading on other forums that this is inherent in this camera and you simply have to find another program to shoot in. I've gone to 'S' (shutter priority) and adjusted the ISO to 200 and had some success. Nevertheless, in my opinion you shouldn't have to search for things like that. I know it's all part of photography but to my mind 'auto' should work as the 'auto' setting on my S5000 did. I was very happy with that.

My suggestion to you would be to stick with the 5200 for the time being. That way you shouldn't have to 'relearn' how to get the shots you want. I gave my S5000 to my daughter and I'm stuck with what I've got now. :-) It'll take some time and I have gotten some excellent pictures out of this new camera but man, after a week I was ready to send it back. That's just how frustrating it was for me.

I'll go along with robbo here and say go for the S5200 it's nearly identical to what you have. Some day that DSLR may come and I can say this experience with the S6000fd will help me prepare for that. hehe

Check out the Fuji forum at http://www.dcresource.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14 There's some good threads there on the S6000.

Bud
Bud1880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2007, 2:31 PM   #4

I swear I am getting more and more confussed! Thanks for that link. The pictures they showed with the S6000 were very nice!

Then of course today I actually played with a rebel....big mistake.....I couldn't believe how fast I could take pictures in a row! Now I am scared as to what I want! LOL!
spinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2007, 9:29 PM   #5

The digital rebel XT and XTi is a great cameras. You can't match their burst speed (multiple shots)with any digicam that I know of.

I think the S5200 is better than the S5100 and the S5000. Its start up speed is faster. Its shutter lag is shorter. Its low light pictures are superior. Currently, it's also cheaper than either of the other two when they were on the market. What could make it better is image stabilization (IS), the kind that Panasonic and Sony and Canon have on their superzooms. I have heard rumors that the next generation of Fuji superzooms will have this kind of IS.

The S6000/S6500 and the S9100 are not bad for daytime sports shots, but unless you are close to the field/court/rink, I think the S5200 is better, at least for the money. The S6000/S9100 are probably better for portraits and close up daytime shots.

Let's say you spend $250 and get the S5200 now. I think you will see an improvement over the S5000. In a year, the entry level DSLR's or improved superzooms will still be available for you to upgrade to and they will probably be slightly cheaper than they are now.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote