Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jan 16, 2007, 5:03 AM   #1

Ok, I seem to have spent every night searching for the ultimate answer to this question, and still am toying with the decision.

Cameras i'm interested in are the Fuji s6500fd (s6000fd) and the new s9600 (s9100)

I'll elaborate my current situation.

Current digital equipment:
I have a Casio QV-R61 6MP "snappy" camera, bought 2005. She's been faithful to me, and I like her image quality, but alas, the time has come to upgrade. I've decided on a bridge camera, as I cannot afford a dedicated SLR. My price limit is £300.

What I want to do:
I used to own Pentax 35mm SLR kit, and had a great time taking landscape and architecture shots. Im not really a "people" shot person, more of a "places" person, however the camera I choose should be versatile. I want a camera that replicates the SLR experience, allows me to play around with settings, and generally be creative.

What I've found:
On the internet, I can get the S6500fd for £218.00 and the S9600 for £274.00.

What I like about the s6500fd:
Face recognition looks like a gimmick, but a fun one. Cheaper camera, heard a lot of good reviews about its ISO capabilities.

What I like about the S9600:
Higher spec camera at about £50 more. More megapixels than you can shake a stick at, and more than my current camera. Flash hotshoe. Looks like it has more settings and easier navigation. Feels a bit nicer to hold than the 6500. CF compatible.

I've heard mixed reviews about the 9600 though, mainly hearing about huge noise at high ISO settings. Is this true? And if so, is the 6500 a better bet for decent shots, or is the extra £50 worth it for the 9600.

So. What on earth should I do before i press that elusive ADD TO CART button... Can anyone offer any information into either of these cameras, and help a man who's losing hair at an alarming rate to this predicament! Are these cameras a good choice, are there better ones out there for the same money?
alkalineb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 16, 2007, 6:46 AM   #2

I just sent my S9600 back due to a problem with the CCD sensor, but besides that, I love it! I have some examples of landscapes, portraits, macro shots and general mucking about shots on my blog if you want to take a look : http://picturegraphs.blogspot.com . Yes, the highest of high ISOs were noisy, but I took some at 200 and 400 and was more than happy with what I saw. I was coming from an S5500 background, and saw a marked improvement in what I can get out of the S9600.

Happy hunting!
Quackles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2007, 7:27 AM   #3

Thanks, i'm impressed with the shots I see.

Will wait for a few more replies, but definatly swinging towards the 9600 now i've seen some more samples.
Old Jan 16, 2007, 8:35 AM   #4

Thanks for the vote of confidence You're wise not to rush into this decision, it's like choosing a wife I'm sure there are people who could put up fantastic photos for the S6500fd, but I was just delighted with the camera - as a novice, I felt that it was fairly intuitive, and the flash hotshoe was one of the main reasons I was upgrading in the first place.. That's because I do intend to do a lot of portrait work, proud parent and all that! Hope you find the one that suits you perfectly!
Quackles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2007, 3:58 PM   #5

Yeah i know what you mean, theres just SO many cameras out there, and so many mixed reviews

Tonight however I've discovered I can obtain a Nikon D40 "proper" SLR with lens for about £70 more than the 9600. This puts me above budget and with a 6MP camera, but I've heard many good things about this camera, AAGH, what to do. Confused doesn't even come close to how i'm feeling!

Old Jan 17, 2007, 9:38 AM   #6

That was a fortunate discovery. Although you won't have nearly the zoom range, you will have a much more dependable camera that is much better built than any Fuji you would consider. Won't go into details, but I have had it with Fuji repair support and warranty service. Not to mention the shabby build quality of my S9000.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2007, 8:27 AM   #7

Ordered a D40 for £365.00 delivered to the door, just waiting now! Cheers for everyone's replies, much appreciated.