Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jul 3, 2003, 12:55 PM   #1

Default s602 picture size

When I download the pictures from my camera to the computer, they are huge. When I make them smaller, I lose some of the quality. Is there a way to make the pictures smaller when they are taken?

Thanks!
pvm624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 3, 2003, 1:54 PM   #2

Shoot at the highest quality/biggest files you have memory for. If an MD or big CF go 6Mpix Fine, If SM128 go 3Mpix Fine. The pictures on your monitor do not represent the size/quality of your camera file. Your editor/ viewer screen display should have some VIEW options. You have 1:1 selected when you should select FIT TO WINDOW. Read the following which you'll need to know as well:

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ghlight=300dpi
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2003, 2:28 AM   #3

pvm624 - The devil is in the details! Quite superb image quality, tehnically, (relative to other prosumer digital class cameras) can be had from the s602 whe proper modes and post processing are implemented.

Based on objective testing, I can only conclude that the best mode is SOFT sharpen mode on the s602. ANy other sharpen mode cuases unreversable damage to the files, including severe haloing, high noise, resolution loss in low costrating areas.

IN additoin, proper stages of unsharp masking and noise reduciton routines will allow you to maximize the quality.

Please see my basic analysis(which has a link at the beginning to my more precise analysis of modes):

http://www.linaeum.com/productinfo/d...les/index.html

-Chris
WmAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2003, 5:18 PM   #4

This is now slightly off post but whatever objective tests are carried out, a lot of these issues depend on what sort of pictures YOU take, you might not always see a significant difference. So 3Mpix Normal might look just as good as a 6Mpix, and 6Mpix soft can look soft!.

My own conviction towards 6Mpix Soft came when shooting cats. The fine textured fur turned out very unreal with 6Mpix normal. So WmAx is quite right that once you've allowed the camera to do its own sharpening in Normal or hard - you can't undo it.

The price you pay for shooting soft sharpening is always filtering your shots afterwards, which takes time. So I think there are times when you may want a quick response from the camera with more shots per card, and just need to get shots in for printing 6X4's quick, when even 3Mpix normal could be acceptable. Find a pussy if you want to see what your 602 makes of very fine detail, at each of its setting options!
Old Jul 29, 2003, 4:51 PM   #5

Hi
I am new to digital photography and have just purchased a 602, i was wondering when i have my image on the screen and i want to change the resolution is it always best to select 300 dpi. As i have been using 600 dpi.
Davee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2003, 1:36 PM   #6

It's not clear what you are saying. What editor programme displays your pics for you. Do you mean you are 're-sampling' and changing the original file size or do you mean you are setting a resolution before printing, but the original file size always stays the same?
Old Jul 30, 2003, 4:28 PM   #7

I am trying to set a print resolution, and say i want an image of 7x8 inches.
Davee is offline   Reply With Quote