Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Feb 6, 2007, 9:07 PM   #11

It appears that your flash is putting out at the maximum output, regardless of ambient light or distance to the subject. Either your flash sensor is defective, or it is dirty, as coldshot suggested. Are you sure you cleaned the sensor? Based on coldshot's description, I might have cleaned the AF assist lamp by mistake. I believe the flash sensor is located directly below the flash on your camera. If that doesn't work, you might try an external flash and forget about the built in flash unit.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2007, 4:05 PM   #12

Hello,

Thank you. I cleaned this sensor already. It didn't help.
How I can use external flash? I mean how I cah sync flash with shot?
mkfromvlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2007, 8:14 PM   #13

I remember seeing a set up somewhere online...of course I can't find the link now, where a slave flash was used, with a little arm that blocked the built in camera flash. The built in camera flash would fire and trigger the slave flash, but the built in camera flash was blocked from reaching the subject. Therefore, in your case, the slave flash would properly illuminate your subject, while the only thing your built in flash would be used for would be to trigger the slave.

If I find the link, I'll post it.

Sorry...

the Hun

Old Feb 7, 2007, 9:50 PM   #14

Your flash is way too bright. Go back to your memory try to remember what you did out of ordinary to the camera before it failed, like you lost your car key and now follow the trail to find it.

Did you let someone use the camera? Did you bump iton a hard surface? Did you use any different battery? Did the flash get stuck you had to force it up with your fingernail? (I did it on my S5000 one time). Did you or someone slam the flash down hard atanytime? Anything you can recall then we go from there.

The pop up onboard flash of any camera is the most vunerable part, everytime you pop it up you create vibration to the tiny sensor time after time it could cause misalignment to the unit.
coldshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2007, 10:26 PM   #15

Thanks, but I don't remember. It started in one day without reason.

Is it possible tofind sensor or whole flash for replacement?
Old Feb 7, 2007, 10:57 PM   #16

rinniethehun wrote:
Quote:
I remember seeing a set up somewhere online...of course I can't find the link now, where a slave flash was used, with a little arm that blocked the built in camera flash. The built in camera flash would fire and trigger the slave flash, but the built in camera flash was blocked from reaching the subject. Therefore, in your case, the slave flash would properly illuminate your subject, while the only thing your built in flash would be used for would be to trigger the slave.

If I find the link, I'll post it.

Sorry...

the Hun
Thank you. It is interesting.
I found a lot slave flash units, for example http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...955&is=REGbutthey arelearning fromcamera's built-in flash and don't block it.
Old Feb 7, 2007, 11:41 PM   #17

The flash is ok, only the sensor is bad. The repair workhas to bedone under the microscobe, very costly. My best guesstimate is some wire connected to the sensor is broken, there is no direct contact with the circuit board.

In the meantime you can cut a small piece of a plastic milk container and stick it in front of the flash to reducethe intensity, add more if needed.
Keep in mind, your camera now consumes more batteries than before due to max flash output.
coldshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2007, 9:30 PM   #18

This isn't exactly what I was looking for, but it might work for you...

http://bermangraphics.com/digicam/sg-2.htm

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

The little arm in the first link is designed to fit into a camera's hot shoe, which your camera doesn't have, but I think you get the idea.

the Hun

Old Feb 12, 2007, 11:59 AM   #19

Thank you.
Old Mar 7, 2007, 1:19 AM   #20

the problem sounds like the flash capacitor is charging way to much. thus your very strong flash. it must be replaced. two things will eventually happen one the capacitor will explode not pleasant the other if your lucky it will simply stop working. but adding an external flash triggered by your existing flash is like putting a Band-Aid on a gunshot wound
shaultapuach is offline   Reply With Quote