Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Feb 7, 2007, 10:46 AM   #1

Hi

I've just received my S9500. I bought it off Ebay and it's supposedly new.

My first obsevation is that the shutter release button is very loose compared with my S7000, so loose in fact it almost rattles and doesn't feel very precise. It does work as it should. Is this normal please?

Does serial number give clue as to date of manufacure?

Is there a facility to interrogate camera to find out how many times shutter has been operated (as per Olympus E-500?

Many thanks

Sean
seanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 7, 2007, 11:37 AM   #2

That doesn't sound like normal behavior for a new camera. It is situations like this one that has prevented me from purchasing anything from eBay. There have been threads in the past that have tried to document good/bad serial numbers. But I don't think they would be valuable to you from what I have read. The camera has two methods of numbering images. One of them is a continuous setting, and the other resets the number whenever a new card is inserted into the camera. If yours is set to the "reset" setting, I don't know of any way for you to check to see how many times the shutter has been released.

I have seen too many people who have purchased things from eBay only to be disappointed. Many of the sellers cannot be trusted. And in many instances you have no recourse when you discover that you didn't get what you thought you were getting.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2007, 6:24 PM   #3

I have the S-9000 (same thing) and the silver release button does travel a small amount before it engages the shutter. It feels like there is a spring of some sort underneath it. Shaking the camera does not cause this to rattle.

Maybe the spring has sprung....! Take it to a camerastore and compare.
bill soper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2007, 6:44 PM   #4

Hi

Thanks for reply. I have bought over 80 items on Ebay with few regrets, and both

Ebay and Paypal will refundup to full cost.

The camera works as expected, looks new and nothing is broken or scratched, I just wondered about the shutter release compared with the S7000.

I've been playing and comparing with the S7000, Olympus E 500

and Kodak P880. Economics seem to rule, IMHO best build quality is the S7000 then

Olympus, then 9500 and last the Kodak. The 9500 handgrip I find most comfortable

and the manual zoom is bettered only by the Olympus. I look forward to comparing

picture quality. Value for money, it's hard to beat the 200 pounds/300 dollars I paid.

Old Feb 9, 2007, 3:55 PM   #5

I have just checked my S9500. The silver, central part, of the shutter release button does move easily from side to side within the constraints of the on/replay/record switch - I guess you could say that it almost rattles (but doesn't). I have had the camera just over a year and the button hasn't dropped off yet!

I hope you enjoy your new camera.

programmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2007, 7:40 AM   #6

:-)Hi Programmer

Thanks for that. It is what I hoped to hear and I am now much happier that camera is as it should be.

Regards Sean

Old Feb 11, 2007, 3:46 PM   #7

Sean,

It has occurred to me that there is something else that might give you cause for concern with the S9500. If you point the lens vertically upwards and gently tap the lens in the back of the EVF (the lens or plastic cover that is closest to your eye when you look through the EVF) you may find that it rattles. The one on my S9500 does this and I have heard of others that do the same, may be they all do. Mine hasn't fallen off in the year I have had the camera and I have seen no reports of this happening to other S9500s - so don't lose any sleep over that either.

Once again I hope that you enjoy your new camera.
programmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2007, 6:51 PM   #8

programmer wrote:
Quote:
Sean,

It has occurred to me that there is something else that might give you cause for concern with the S9500. If you point the lens vertically upwards and gently tap the lens in the back of the EVF (the lens or plastic cover that is closest to your eye when you look through the EVF) you may find that it rattles. The one on my S9500 does this and I have heard of others that do the same, may be they all do. Mine hasn't fallen off in the year I have had the camera and I have seen no reports of this happening to other S9500s - so don't lose any sleep over that either.

Once again I hope that you enjoy your new camera.
I just checked my S5200, and the shutter button does seem to have a little side-to-side play, but it doesn't rattle or feel like it's about to fall off or anything. The EVF window is rock-solid, as is the rest of the camera. So far, I've taken almost 9000 pictures without any problems, and the camera feels like it's ready for 9000 more.
toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2007, 9:52 PM   #9

Hi All

Returned camera to seller and got full refund less my postage and paypal fees so the system does work! I liked the lens,so I might try the 9600fd next.

Sean