Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Feb 13, 2007, 7:33 PM   #1

I have been a photographer for over 25 years and shot professionally for many of those years. I have only dabbled in recent years and realize that I have fallen way behind in technology. I have spent the last 2 months catching up reading reviews and forums and gained valuable information from all. Ok, now thats out of the way..... I have read many opinions on the S6000 and the S9100 and have come to this conclusion. I'm going to buy one of them. Everything I've read and seenputs these 2 cameras at the top of the list. The reviews are very scatted though. I have a real hard time trying to figure out why reviewers rave about the canon s3. Side by side in almost every review I've seen, the Fuji cameras take better images up to 200iso and completely blow away all competition 400-1600iso. To me that more than makes up for the IS that the Fujis lack. The fact that they are 132 mm less on the long end supports that argument more. Add to that the manual zoom and focus, wide 28mm lense, low light advantage, Raw mode, metal filter threadsand a high and powerful flash, I just can't figure out what I'm missing.

I am aware of the obvious differences between the 2, but Ido have a few questions...I haveread a few times that the 6000 takes better pictures in low light than the 9100....doesn't make sense. Is this true? If so why? Has the master control knob problem in the 9000 been eliminated in the 9100? Has anyone had any experiences breaking off the LCD in the 9100? Anyone had or heard of any repair or major problems with either of these cameras?

This seems to be the best forum site that I have found. The people here seem to be very honest and intelligent. Thanks in advance for your opinions. Good and bad news is welcome... Thanks

Soundman500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 13, 2007, 8:34 PM   #2

I also spent many years as a pro wedding photographer, the way I see things is most reviewers use Canon and Nikon cameras as a bench mark, yes they both make great products but there are other brands that produce picture quality that is as good.

Like you I have been reading up on the S6000 and 9000 series cameras, I would be happy with either model as they are both very capable cameras, the one thing that realy annoys me is the way reviewers insist on comparing them to DSLRs, I have seen nothing from Fuji that reads like " this camera is as good as a DSLR", both models are high quality Prosumer cameras and when judged as such leave most of the opposition for dead.

The only thing that would sway me towards the S9000 series is the flash sync socket, I have not written off the S6000 I can always use a slave to fire off an external flash.

Have to say I have always been a non conformist when it comes to cameras, most of my 25 years I used Minoltas, only towards the end of my career did I use autofocus Canons, have to say I was happy with them but still give other brands the due respect they deserve, that includes my two Fuji's.

Please any Canon and Nikon owners do not jump on my head, I am not knocking them, just pointing out that they are not the only brands that take good pictures.

Regards

David.

aussiedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2007, 9:07 PM   #3

I agree with you about the hotshoe. Also the EVF is much brighter and responds faster which is a big plus. One thing that I haven't seen anything written on is the quality of the flash contacts. I have a Vivitar 285 and a 283. The 283 is a much higher voltage than the 285 at the contacts and I'm wondering if the camera contacts will be affected. I also have some Lumidyne flashes that could present the same problem. Will they stand up to the higher voltages flashes? It just may make better sense to slave them and avoid any possibily of damage.

The other question I have (which has never been really answered well) is what is the advantage of the increased megapixels in the 9100? From what I've read the image quality is the same (or better) in the lower 6000 camera.....so why???
Old Feb 13, 2007, 9:32 PM   #4

The sensor on the S9100 is only marginally larger than that of the S6000, yet they have attempted to cram another 3 MP in there - that will tend to increase graininess in the images. The S6000 has the same lens as the S9100, but uses the sensor from the F30, which blows away the competition in the low light arena. I don't know if Fuji has fixed the command dial problem, although I haven't heard of any falling off yet.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2007, 10:00 PM   #5

Thanks for your responses...

I don't think the problem was the master dial falling off, I think it just stopped functioning. I don't remember reading about any problems with it on the 9100, but have seen several on the 9000. Hopefully it's a non-issue now.

I'm beginning to feel the difference in image quality between the 6000 & 9100 is marginal. The megapixals don't seem to matter here. I thinkwhat it boils down to is to choose based on features that work for me.

Thecost difference of $80 is not that bad, sothat's really not a factor.

I know this subject has been beat to death, but I'd appreciate any comments...
Old Feb 13, 2007, 10:20 PM   #6

No, they were falling off...here's an example:

http://stevesforums.com/forums/view_...t=command+dial

Fow what it's worth...if I were buying one or the other, I'd choose the S6000.

Good luck with your choice.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2007, 11:31 PM   #7

Soundman, I completely agree with your 1st paragraph. I am very pleased with my S6000fd, and am sure I will appreciate it even more as my skills improve.

I don't know how much of a difference this makes in the S6000 vs S9100 image quality debate, but the S6000 uses a "6th generation" CCD vs the S9100's "5th generation" CCD.
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2007, 1:25 PM   #8

I was asked to photograph a wedding for my friend last summer. Those are often suicide assignments, but I agreed to do the job. I borrowed a Nikon D70 to use as the main camera, and I had my wife take secondary pictures with my Fuji S5100. I created a wedding album that I sent to mypublisher.com to have printed. I used images from both cameras. I even included a couple of full-page images taken with the Fuji. And the quality of the printing is good enough that you cannot tell which camera was used to take the pictures. The responsibility is on the photographer to learn how to use any camera properly. Either one of the cameras you are considering will take excellent photos. All you have to do is decide which camera offers you the most features that you want. The image quality is there in either one of them.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2007, 4:30 PM   #9

I don't think you will notice much difference in image quality between the two in an actual print unless you are making huge enlargements - then the extra pixels of the S9100 MIGHT make a difference. In low light the nod seems to go slightly to the 6000. So overall perhaps image quality is a toss-up. The two features that will sell me on going with the 9100 to replace my late, beloved Minolta 7Hi (a very similar camera in all respects) is the PC flash socket (I get to use my Vivitar 285HV flashes when I want some realflash firepower) and the Compact Flash card slot. The 6000 uses only the Xd card, and frankly since only Fuji and Olympus were proponents of this ridiculously small card I could see availability becoming an issue down the road (Fuji seems to be adding cameras to their line up that havethe ability to use the more common Compact Flash and/or SD cards). Maybe that's not a big deal, asjust as likely the cameras will be long-dead before that happens. But moreso, I HATE such a tiny little card - even SD cards are too small for me.I tend to fumble around with changing them in my carry-it-anywhere point-&-shoot. I much prefer the larger CF cards, plus I prefer having the ability to share the same cards with my Canon 20D.

Like my Minolta before, the S9100 will be everything I need when I'm out and about wanting to have the capability to do some "serious" shooting without lugging the heavyweight Canon and all its lenses. So unless Steve publishes a report on the S9100 that shows the 6000 is really superior in some way, I'll get an S9100.

jZ
AutoXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2007, 4:55 PM   #10

Like several of the photographers here, I have been considering the S9100 VS the S6000fd. I have read everything I can from all the boards I've been able to locate.

I have been quite concerned, and honestly quite mystified, by the fact that the S9100 came out "After the S6000fd." Yet the 9100 has the Fifth generation electronics and the 6000 has the Sixth generation electronics, and thus the S6000fd has much better "High ISO Low Noise Characteristics."

My frustration stems from the fact that the S9100 viewfinder has twice the the number of pixels that the S6000fd has. This is quite appealing to me. The 9100 also has several other features, such as the tiltable LCD and more external button control of important camera functions as opposed to menu oriented behavior, so I would like to buy the S9100. But the ISO settings from 400 up definitely appear better in the S6000fd.

I have even thought about waiting until the next generation of top end bridge camera is announced by Fuji. (9200?) But that is a long time to wait and I'm sure the cost will be more untill it slowly goes down over six or eight months. So to get to the new generation of flagship super zone at a decent price looks like to me that it will be at least a year or more.

Frustrated!
eagle2 is offline   Reply With Quote