Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Mar 15, 2007, 7:36 AM   #11

hfc, I'm glad that you're encouraged by the shots that we've been getting. I guess I come at the problem with a different set of expectations than many. I first started shooting soccer with an old Casio 8000sx, one of the first "super zooms" back in 2000. At that time I had never heard of post processing, and forget shooting once the lights went on. It was followed by an Olympus C-750, a tremendous improvement, but still very fortunate when you got anything recognizable as human in night matches. Since getting the s6000 and starting hanging around this form, I have learned more about how to maximize camera performance than in all the previous years combined. Obviously, my situation is a little different than most in that I have a shooter who then turns the images over to me for post. 99% of the shots will never find a printer. My main output is posting online for the kids and preparing a memories CD for each player at the end of the season. The pics seem to get better each match because both of us are learning the camera. Frankly, I'm thrilled with what I'm getting because it's so much better than what I've had in the past. Still....when we get to a stadium with poor lighting (see the post comparing ISO 1600 to ISO 3200), there is going to be noise.

Generally, we've about decided that the trade off between noise and performance falls on the side of ISO 3200 when shooting at full zoom and to ISO 1600 when you can get the subject in tighter. This shot was at ISO 3200, full zoom (f4.9)

Attached Images

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2007, 10:16 PM   #12

hfc....another taken at ISO 3200 in last night's match....I like the combination of motion blur on the stationary background while focus remained sharp on the players moving full speed (no background blur was added in PP)
Attached Images

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2007, 2:31 PM   #13

Thanks for the pictures.

There is a definitive drop in image quality from 1600 to 3200. But like you said, sometimes we have to do what we have to do.

I took some pictures since keeping to ISO800. The shutter speed was in 1/40-1/60 range and the subjects were also backlited. However, I was pleased with result after applyin simple autofix with PSP X.

I am waiting for the chance to try out the trick of setting -1 EV in order to get faster shutter speed as well as try to get closer so I don't loss as much in maximum aperture. The lens would give f4 up to 135mm so that should also improve the shutter speed. I was aggressive previously and jumped immediately to over 200mm that resulted in f4.2 and higher (f4.9).

hfc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2007, 3:34 AM   #14

Hey, nice photos. I like the effect of a slight blur - which indicates fast movement, just what you need to portray the soccer players in action.
I'm only an amateur photographer and no expert but i think there might be another way to take good photos in poor lighting conditions instead of turning up the ISO to 3200 which is exceedingly noisy and signifciantly reduces the quality of the images. Try 1600 or even go down to 800 but use a much slower shutter speed(if the camera has a 'shutter priority mode' or equivalent') with a tripod. You will probably need to experiment with the shutter speeds and find an optimal speed to ensure that the subjects are not simply blurs on the image(too slow a shutter speed).
Also, get your photographer to take some 'burst mode' shots spontaineously - you might be suprised what you end up with. Good luck with your soccer snaps!
jmp1987 is offline   Reply With Quote