Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Feb 14, 2007, 1:31 AM   #1

I just got my s6000fd last week. Since I coach the high school team, a student manager shoots, and I post process. There is a learning curve with the camera, but I can't imagine much better performance out of a point and shoot, albeit a very advanced one.

This shot was at 43mm zoom, f4.2, and 1/108th of a second, shot in program mode with an ISO of 3200.
Attached Images

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 14, 2007, 10:35 PM   #2

The fact that you can even get a usable picture from ISO 3200 in an impressive feat in the ultrazoom market.

Here's something to try: use ISO 1600, and set the exposure compensation (EV) to -2/3. The resulting image might a bit darker, but since you are not adverse to some photo editing, you can adjust the levels to get a bright enough shot with more detail.
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2007, 2:54 AM   #3

Thank you for the suggestion. I had Marcella (my manager) shoot tonight's match with the settings you suggested. The results overall were a slight improvement, definite reduction in noise. There was more problem with motion blur, but the best shots were significantly better. She was also working with a monopod for the first time. We were on the road and stadium lighting was far poorer than that to which we are used. I'll be interestedin seeing how these setting work with our lights, which are as good as many smaller colleges and universities.

Most of the adjusting I did in Photoshop was working with the mid-range slide in the levels control, a slight USM, and Neat Image noise reduction. That I am still winding down through photo editing at 1:50 am tells you that the match was a particularly unsatisfying 1-1 tie on a 33 degree night, lol.

The shot I'm attaching was shot at ISO 1600, 46mm zoom, f4.2. Shutter speed was 1/ 58th of a second. There were few problems with having enough light. With the stronger lights in our home stadium, would bumping the EV down one more stop to a -1.0 be a possibility to help get a faster shutter speed?

Attached Images

Old Feb 17, 2007, 8:18 PM   #4

mmm, ties are never satisfying, although from what I understand, in the Japanese baseball leagues, not only do they have ties :roll:, the trailing team will often play for it, rather than go for the victory.

I would set the EV as low as I could possibly go while still retaining enough detail that boosting the levels in Photoshop could bring out the image. The photo you posted looks quite bright, so I'd try to go down the EV ladder another notch or two.

Here is your photo, adjusted downward by 1 1/2 stops in Photoshop. This is only an estimate by Photoshop, of course, but at least you will have an idea of what the photo would have looked like - and, of course, there would have been less motion blur.
Attached Images

Old Feb 21, 2007, 1:29 AM   #5

We tried your suggestions tonight. See what you think. The first is at a substantial zoom....60mm, which means it was fstopped down to 4.6; the second was much closer...a zoom of 13mm and at f3.6. Both have been post processed, although little was required on the second. In each case....ISO was 1600 with EV at -1.0. I found that you just can't go any lower without introducing substantial noise when you up the levels in Photoshop.
Attached Images

Old Feb 21, 2007, 1:31 AM   #6

second shot......btw, temp tonight was finally soccer weather....no more of that 33 degree stuff....lol

Attached Images

Old Feb 24, 2007, 3:35 PM   #7

I think these are quite good. To me, the most important thing is to have fairly clear facial detail, which you have achieved, as well as being able to read the uniforms. The blurring of the arms and legs doesn't bother me, as they indicate movement.

IMO, you've done a fine job with this! I'm inspired to try a few pic's of my buddy's ice hockey games...
Old Mar 13, 2007, 9:29 PM   #8

These are stunningly better shots than whatyou started with. May I ask what were the sub-settings that you used with USM (radius, strength, clipping, etc.) and Nose Ninja (radius, correction, sharpening, etc.)?
hfc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2007, 10:48 PM   #9

hfc....I'm embarassed to admit that I've been experimenting so much that I don't remember the exact USM settings I used on these particular shots. Lately, I've been using a two-pass USM I read about on this forum. The first pass is at Radius 0.3, Strength 250, Clip 0.....Second pass is at 15-45-0. I used Neat Image for noise reduction, and I eyeballed the sampled sections and played with the settings, probably about 40-60 percent on the Luminance and Chrominance channels. I pull the Sharpening down to about 10 percent in Neat Image.

I'm sorry I can't be more precise, but I've tried so many different things that I forget whatI used on what image.

Thank you for the kind words. We're still learning.

Old Mar 15, 2007, 1:04 AM   #10

I was so discourage previously with the ISO3200 and ISO1600 shots that I had that I was going to jump to the DSLR wagon at a cost of $$$$. You inspired me not to give up on the S6000fd. Thank you. I'll try harder with this camera.

Hope you can repeat the results with later shots. Now that people saw what you could do with the camera and PS. They'll be expecting the world of you. Heck, we'll too. Show us more. Show us more. :-)
hfc1 is offline   Reply With Quote