Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 16, 2007, 10:45 PM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 5
Default

thanks jphess :-)
bene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2007, 9:14 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Carskick's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 276
Default

These Spots are mostly due to the camera's weird sharpening algorithms. I found turning the overly aggressive sharpening to normal keeps these weird speckles to a minimum.
Carskick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2007, 4:05 PM   #13
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 12
Default

If there is any doubt about the image quality of the 6000, check out this site:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

Compare the 6000 test photos with the s-3. Look at the 6000 at 400 iso compared to the canon at 80 or 100. That tells the story. And if you want proof that this camera can compete in photo quality with a DSLR , compare the 6000 at 200 iso to the canon EOS 400D Rebel XTi at 100 iso. I'm not saying that this is better than a DSLR. TheDSLRs have their definate advantages,but the images speak for themselves. Let me know what you think. (I'll be expecting hate mail from dslr owners........)
Soundman500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2007, 9:44 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 822
Default

If you want to see what results other users are getting (from any camera or lens), a good place to look is pbase. They're searchable by camera. Over 1000 s6000 shots there to browse:
http://www.pbase.com/cameras/fujifilm/finepix_s6000fd



kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2007, 3:25 PM   #15
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 13
Default

I too have just bought myself a 6500fd (I believe that to be the same as the 6000?) and I am slightly disappointed with the picture quality. While they look great on the LCD and at reduced sizes, when viewed at actual pixels, I find the picture quite poor. I've been taking photo's of birds in the garden with a Kodak 10x DX7590 and the quality of pictures from that has been noticeably better than those from my 'upgraded' 6500. I am attaching a sample and would appreciate opinions or suggestions on howthe picture could possibly be improved, either with different settings or with a bit of photoshop magic.


Robin (Taken on Fuji DX6500FD)
Robin (Taken on Kodak DX7590)

Both photo's are taken straight from the cameras with no editing (hence the rubbish exposure!)
themosttogain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2007, 6:44 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 137
Default

themosttogain wrote:
Quote:
I too have just bought myself a 6500fd (I believe that to be the same as the 6000?) and I am slightly disappointed with the picture quality. While they look great on the LCD and at reduced sizes, when viewed at actual pixels, I find the picture quite poor. I've been taking photo's of birds in the garden with a Kodak 10x DX7590 and the quality of pictures from that has been noticeably better than those from my 'upgraded' 6500. I am attaching a sample and would appreciate opinions or suggestions on howthe picture could possibly be improved, either with different settings or with a bit of photoshop magic.


Robin (Taken on Fuji DX6500FD)
Robin (Taken on Kodak DX7590)

Both photo's are taken straight from the cameras with no editing (hence the rubbish exposure!)
Pixel peeping at 100% or greater on a monitor is the absolute worst method of judging results, on the Fuji you are looking at a very small part of a 30"x50" or so picture. Print your Fuji pics on a quality photo printer and then see what they look like.

Clyde
Clyde Atkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2007, 12:39 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
flippedgazelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 930
Default

Clyde Atkinson wrote:
Quote:
themosttogain wrote:
Quote:
I too have just bought myself a 6500fd (I believe that to be the same as the 6000?) and I am slightly disappointed with the picture quality. While they look great on the LCD and at reduced sizes, when viewed at actual pixels, I find the picture quite poor. I've been taking photo's of birds in the garden with a Kodak 10x DX7590 and the quality of pictures from that has been noticeably better than those from my 'upgraded' 6500. I am attaching a sample and would appreciate opinions or suggestions on howthe picture could possibly be improved, either with different settings or with a bit of photoshop magic.


Robin (Taken on Fuji DX6500FD)
Robin (Taken on Kodak DX7590)

Both photo's are taken straight from the cameras with no editing (hence the rubbish exposure!)
Pixel peeping at 100% or greater on a monitor is the absolute worst method of judging results, on the Fuji you are looking at a very small part of a 30"x50" or so picture. Print your Fuji pics on a quality photo printer and then see what they look like.

Clyde
Neither pic is particularly good; each sample pic has its own problems. In the Fuji pic, the bird seems slightly out of focus, or perhaps was moving and the 1/100 shutter was too slow. In the Kodak pic, the highlights were blown, and you used a slightly faster shutter. Looks like there was more ambient light, too.

As Clyde has said, pixel-peeping isn't really a good way to judge the photo quality, but you shouldn't have to rely on prints to judge, either. Many folks, including myself, seldom print photos, but I always scale my photo down to the desired size, and of course I post-process.

Here's an unprocessed photo (except for resizing) from my S6000fd, taken a couple of days after I got the camera. BTW, I use the "soft" setting, as this seems to alleviate some of the jpg artifacts, and I post-process anyway.
Attached Images
 
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2007, 4:09 AM   #18
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 13
Default

Thanks for the advice...I have to say though...the Kodak pic was actually a duller day, it seems the lens on that camera was much brighter for some reason...I could get away with slightly faster shutter speeds on that. That said, I can see fom your photo, and many others that you can achieve some fantastic results with the Fuji, so I guess its well worth experimenting. I'm gonna try the soft setting today (providing the rain stops) and I might even try some RAW shots and see how they come out as i've never tried it.
themosttogain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2007, 7:47 AM   #19
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 7
Default

Clyde Atkinson wrote
Quote:
Pixel peeping at 100% or greater on a monitor is the absolute worst method of judging results, on the Fuji you are looking at a very small part of a 30"x50" or so picture. Print your Fuji pics on a quality photo printer and then see what they look like.

Clyde
I didn't know that it was called pixel peeping but I sure am guilty of it. :-) Thanks Clyde for the information. Always learn something new on the forums. Regardless, I just want to say that I'm in agreement with bene and I'm sure glad someone else has posted about their dissatisfaction with the S6000's piture quality. I've posted some over at DCResourses but this is the first time I've seen this kind of post at Steve's.

I constantly try to compare my S6000's to what I was used to getting with my S5000. While doing this I've come to the conclusion that for a 6 megapixel camera the pics aren't that much better. I'm still fighting with it and I'm not saying that the camera is not a good camera, just not that much better in my opinion.

themostogain's post about his bird pictures are exactly what I'm up against. With the S5000 I've taken hundreds of pictures of birds in a small Japanese peach tree about 20 feet or so from our kitchen window. Of course I got a lot of bummers but also got some very good shots. The thing is, I can't duplicate any of the good ones with my S6000 yet. Very discouraging.

I've gotten some good pictures of course but overall I'm still giving this camera a 6 on a scale of 1-10. I'll keep plugging though, got no choice. :-) Just glad to know I'm not alone in my opinion.

Bud
Bud1880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2007, 5:21 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 137
Default

Bud1880 wrote:
Quote:

I didn't know that it was called pixel peeping but I sure am guilty of it. :-) Thanks Clyde for the information. Always learn something new on the forums. Regardless, I just want to say that I'm in agreement with bene and I'm sure glad someone else has posted about their dissatisfaction with the S6000's piture quality. I've posted some over at DCResourses but this is the first time I've seen this kind of post at Steve's.

I constantly try to compare my S6000's to what I was used to getting with my S5000. While doing this I've come to the conclusion that for a 6 megapixel camera the pics aren't that much better. I'm still fighting with it and I'm not saying that the camera is not a good camera, just not that much better in my opinion.

themostogain's post about his bird pictures are exactly what I'm up against. With the S5000 I've taken hundreds of pictures of birds in a small Japanese peach tree about 20 feet or so from our kitchen window. Of course I got a lot of bummers but also got some very good shots. The thing is, I can't duplicate any of the good ones with my S6000 yet. Very discouraging.

I've gotten some good pictures of course but overall I'm still giving this camera a 6 on a scale of 1-10. I'll keep plugging though, got no choice. :-) Just glad to know I'm not alone in my opinion.

Bud
It is easy sometimes to get disappointed when you get a new piece of gear, we tend to think that the new one will work just like the old one, so we do the same things we used to do and expect good results. You have to remember thatthis is a newer and differentcam that you will have to learn how to get the best out of, all new gear has a learning curve, some more than others. Be patient, read the manual, glean info from forums, do whatever you can to learn more about the S6000 and how to make it work to your advantage.

Clyde
Clyde Atkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 6:21 AM.