Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Feb 14, 2007, 4:13 AM   #1

Hi,I just bought a fuji s6000 and i have a question regarding the image quality that i get. I cant post a pic now but hopefully someone knows what im trying to talk about. I took a photo of my niece with P mode, iso 100 shutter 1/30 , with good lighting (shot outside the house). The edges of her face and her clothes are not that solid, and her face / clothes shows signs of jpeg compression. Im not sure if this is what really the image quality at iso 100 or im not using the right settings. I viewed it a 100% in my computer monitor,im not trying to pixel peep or anything the image looks good if fitted on screen. Its just that reviews says that at iso 100 the fuji s6000fd gives excellent image quality. I'm expecting crisp pictureseven viewed at 100% or im expecting too much? Thanks so much... i'll try to practice more on getting better pictures. Just want to confirm if other users experience the same thing
bene is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 14, 2007, 5:23 AM   #2

Can't tell anything without a pic (with EXIF data). ISO 100, 1/30 in good light doesn't sound right to me...as a matter of fact, it doesn't even sound possible.

I'd like to see that pic.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2007, 7:23 AM   #3

I agree with Hun. The settings you quoted don't sound correct. I'm not sure if you have ever heard of the F-16 rule, but first look at your exposure settings would make me think your image was way overexposed. Basically the rule is, outside in bright sunlight, your camera speed would equal the iso rating in fractions of a second at the f-16 aperture setting. For example, if your camera was set at 100 iso and f-16 the exposure speed would be 1/100th of a second. Since this camera only goes to F-11, that would double that speed to 1/200. Based on your numbers, if at maximum aperture you are at least 3 stops overexposed. If it was in program mode, the camera should have chosen a much faster shutter speed. Also 1/30 of a second handheld is fairly slow. It's possible to get good shots at that speed if you are holding the camera very still, but if you have moving subjects, chances are they won't be very sharp.

Try playing with the settings and see if your results change. I would be interested to know what you find. By the way, if your interested about the F-16 rule, I found a site that explains it in more detail than I did.

http://www.bradmitchellphoto.com/tips/Sunny16.htm

Good Luck

Soundman500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2007, 10:44 AM   #4

And even if the exposure was correct, 1/30 sec. would require a fairly steady hand and a very stationary subject. I would doublecheck your settings. If the ISO was definitely set at 100, then you need to make sure that you hadn't inadvertently set your exposure compensation for over exposure. Without seeing the image, that is probably about as much help as we can offer.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2007, 9:37 AM   #5

Hi , thank you for all the tips..:-)

Here's a 100% crop..its iso200 i thought iso100...

Shutter Speed 1/30
F Stop f/2.8
ISO 200
focal length 6.2mm
flash: did not fire
metering: pattern

the edges or her face/hair are not that crisp..? or is this normal..thanks again
Attached Images

Old Feb 15, 2007, 10:31 AM   #6

Just a couple of suggestions. The image was underexposed. You might have had better results if you have used a +1/3 or even +2/3 EV compensation. In such indirect light it is often difficult to get a real sharp image. Especially as close as you were and with such a slow shutter speed. Your sample is rather small, but I played with it a little bit. Hope you don't mind.
Attached Images

Old Feb 15, 2007, 8:12 PM   #7

Thanks Jphess, didnt mind at all.. the picture improved, did you use USM?..do you know websites where i could see pictures taken from fuji s6000fd? so i could mimic and learn the right settings...i came from a p&s and this is my first cam with adjustable settings..
Old Feb 15, 2007, 8:45 PM   #8

I have to be honest......technically the second photos are in fact sharper, but I actually I like your original better. Photographers put soft filters on Hasselblads to achieve that softness in portraits and the lighting looks very natural. I'm not sure whether that was intentional or not, but it looks good.
Soundman500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2007, 8:57 PM   #9

Actually, I used the Smart Sharpen filter and the Reduce Noise filter in Photoshop CS2. I also used a special high-pass sharpening action. And, I made a Levels adjustment. It probably would have turned out better if I had been working on the full-size image. Your sample image was quite small and was a little more difficult to work with.

I'm not sure what you are looking for as far as images are concerned. Here is a link to the images that are provided in the Steve's Forum review of the camera:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_...d_samples.html

And, from another source:

http://www.digital-photography-resou...ry.php?cat=836
Old Feb 15, 2007, 9:08 PM   #10

Soundman500 wrote:
Quote:
I have to be honest......technically the second photos are in fact sharper, but I actually I like your original better. Photographers put soft filters on Hasselblads to achieve that softness in portraits and the lighting looks very natural. I'm not sure whether that was intentional or not, but it looks good.
Yes, you are probably right. I sharpened it mainly to illustrate that it was possible. And then, I suppose the lighting is subjective. Everyone has their own taste. I'm not saying mine is the best. I was just trying to illustrate that the image could be massaged. And, as I stated in my previous message, more could probably have been done with the full-size image.