Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jul 13, 2003, 6:51 AM   #1

Default What Pixel Settings ?

Hi, this has probably been done but I have read a few reviews and they talk of noise and a few other things at 6m pixels esp in TIFF mode. As I am a novice, the easy way to find out is to ask you here. What pixels would any of you more experienced S602Z users set it at? I have been told to set it at the higher settings for the best pics, Yes or No?

Thanks in anticipation,

Shane.
Frols is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 13, 2003, 11:30 AM   #2

Default What Pixel Settings ?

To answer the question, the higher the pixel setting the better the photo will reproduce. I take most of my photos at 3m and have no problem printing photos up to 8x10 in size (the printer also has to be able to print at a higher resolution). If you really want to blow it up or print just a small portion of the photo shoot at 6m but I feel that for everyday shots 3m is fine. This is only the opinion of one person and I am sure others will give advice on the subject.
k1par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2003, 1:50 PM   #3

I agree with k1par. I usually shoot at 3m and get great 4x6 and 5x7 prints. I was trying to use 6m for a while, but when trying to chase my kids and snap pictures the lag time was too long. 6m was great though when I took their portraits and blew them up to 8 x 10.

Good luck!
futbol mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2003, 1:51 PM   #4

Frols - The absolute best settings concerning resolving ability/lowest level of artifacts are:

ISO: 160
MODE: 6M HIGH(TIFF)
SHARPNESS: SOFT

However, certainly the above is not feasible. YOu would experience:

(1) Slow write times and recovery(Large tiff files)
(2) Shoot only in very good lighting conditions(lowest ISO)
(3) Have tp post process all images in external software(noise reduction and sharpness).(SOFT sharp mode)

While the above WILL result in the highest quality, can you live with the handicaps these impose?

Base your selectinos on your needs. If you do not mind post processing, then it would be feasible I beleive to use:

3MP or 6MP Fine(highest jpeg setting)
ISO: 160-400
SHARPNESS: SOFT

Usuing the unprocessed(that what the SOFT setting actually is) images from the camera will require some basic skill at image processing, or you will not good results. A good basic procedure i find is to (1) Run the images through Neat Image(www.neatimage.com) using carefullly produced custom noise profiles and conservative settings(otherwise detail loss will results) (2) Process color/contrast, etc. as needed. (3) Use2-3 stages of unsharp mask. But the cost for using in-camera processin in lieu of your own post processing will be: higher noise, less detail in lower contrast areas and severe haloing.

You can reference some technical examples at my link(as well as read a detailed summary on the effects of the in-camera processing IF allowed to engage):

http://www.linaeum.com/productinfo/d...les/index.html

-Chris
WmAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2003, 7:37 AM   #5

Thankyou all for the input, it sounds like I am on the right track, I am due to develope my first lot of photos so we will soon see. Chris thanks for the link also and the input, it took a couple of reads to get some of your tech talk but was helpful. Thanks again all and if there are any other helpful tips please feel free to help a rookie.

Shane.
Old Jul 14, 2003, 11:55 AM   #6

Frols - Since you asked for additional tips, i will provide some that are based mostly on my subjective preferences. But, they may help you.:-)

(1) Never use AUTO mode, unless you don't care about capturing a high quality image. AUTO mode forces incamera sharpening on you, and you can not even control shutter or aperature the least bit.

(1) Learn your camera's meter behaviour! The s602 i have found objectively, to have more lattitude then other prosumer cameras in dyanamic range. However, the meter is a little bit 'stupid' at time, per say. Learn at what point on your LCD/EVF the preview images correspond to a blowout roughly. This is a trial and error process, since the EVF/LCD can not begin to show the dynamic range of the s602. BUt you can roughly correlate the way the EVF displays an image realtively as a guide. The histogram is not very useful for many shots, so i pretty much ignore this. If you are not sure about the hilites in a scene, underexpose by a 1/2 stop or little more. Their is plenty of data in the lower midtones/shadows to bring back out with a levels change in post process. I use negative exposure compensation for almost every shot, due to the meter's tendency to overexpose.

(2) Adjust your EVF/LCD screens brightness! At least my unit, the default settig was horrible. The EVF or LCD adjust seperately. CLick the EVF/LCD button to view through one or the other. The one you adjust while viewing is the one that will be effected. Hold down the SHIFT + DISPLAY buttons at the same time and you will have a menu pop up with the option to adjust brightness. On the EVF, I keep it adjusted tothe 1st or 2nd mark on the left.

(3) Purchase a 55-55mm adapter tube and uv filter to keep on the camera at all times. The telescoping lens is the most susceptible part on the s602 to damage. You will need a 55mm lens cap too, as the 602's cap will not fit the tube. You can purchase a generic tube, uv filter and lens cap for less than $30 including shipping from either www.2filter.com or www.cameragear.com. I recommend these two, because i purchase from them often and have not *yet had any problems.

(4) Get an external flash. The built in flash is next to useless, if you want good fill. Get a flash with adjustable angle/swivel and consider getting a diffuser dome for it(www.omnibounce.com). Note: you will have manually white balance, the AUTO mode when using a flash on the 602 will produce a strong color cast in most cases.

(5) Get used to manually white balancing! The built in presets are not very accurate in most cases. Even the daylight one is usually useless IMO. Consider that varoius pollutants, position of teh sun through a distance of atmposphere, etc. are all variables tha effect teh light temperature. A pringles potatoe chip lid diffuses light well, and is a reather nuetral color material. Holding this over the 602 and pointed at the primary light source will provide you with pretty accurate white balances. Or you can purchase a white balance tool such as the expodisc(www.expodisc.com).

Good luck.

-Chris
Old Jul 15, 2003, 6:17 AM   #7

Chris, again thanks for the info mate. You killed me with one blow on the don't use the AUTO mode but as you say trial and error and a bit of study and all should come good with practice. Still I hear the great Vinnie Babarino off welcome back Kotter saying "I'm so confused". Alas I will overcome this.
I do have one question, I have seen the question of memory cards and which to get. I need to know if these cards are universal for all S602 cameras around the world or if they are regional. You may not know this but I will also ask in the memory card section. I ask this as I am flying from Australia to the US, Europe, Hong Kong and home again soon and I may be able to buy bigger, better and cheaper memory OS.

Shane.
Old Jul 15, 2003, 6:29 AM   #8

I got my first photo enlarged today and was very pleased with it. It was printed to A4 size and looked great. I am sure as Chris points out though it can get better. I would post it but don't know how, it is a photo of one of my twin girls holding a butterfly.

Shane.[/img][/url][/list][/quote][/code]
Old Jul 15, 2003, 1:57 PM   #9

Frols - The priority modes (A an S on the dial) are automatic modes, and they allow you almost the entire flexibility of manual mode. THey merely lock the aperature or shutter speed and adjust the corresponding dynamicly. I recommend you try these modes.

As far as posting an image, go to www.imaging-resource.com fuji forum.

Their bulletin board allows you to attach an imge and upload it to their server. I regularly go their, so post your full size images unedtied from camera and I will be more then happy to evaluate them and let you know of any changes to camera settings, or other photographic adjustments you may need to compensate for. It is important you post the full size image from camera unedited though.

http://www.photo-forums.com/[email protected]@.ee8bb68

Just click on one of the REPLY buttons, you don't even have to register to post. Just attach you picture at the bottom and bam.

-Chris
Old Jul 16, 2003, 6:41 AM   #10

WmAx, I tried to post the photo but the site was down for some reason, I will try tomorrow. Thanks mate.

Shane