Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Feb 27, 2007, 5:06 PM   #1

Hello all. I am just a new guy in this forum so I thought I would say hi.

I first started using digital cameras about 11 years ago with a friends Casio something. I had never even heard of digital cameras in those days and had to have one, but back then this Casio model was about $450 and was a basic plain Jane camera, but it was digital. $450 was a lot of money back then... I used this camera for about 6 months and then got offered a super duper deal from a computer shop I virtually lived in. They had a then new Kodak DC50 but none of the people working there knew anything about digital cameras so they made a deal with me. You pay half price, you use it, then you tell us about it etc etc etc... It still cost me a tidy bundle of dollar notes (it sold retail nearly three timesthe price of the Casio above) but I could not have asked for a better opportunity, so I took it.3 dayslater I showed them how it was used, how to use the software blah, blah, blah. They were impressed and I had a cool digital camerafor that time... Looking back at it, I have to say it was pre-historic but I took so many photos and showed so many people,that I started a small digital camera war in the local district. All my friends soon got them, and my younger brother joined in too. After about a year, I lost the urge to take photos and I sort of let it rest as there more pressing matters at hand, like getting my life back ontrack as a bowel disease nearly killed me. It took me 7 years to get over that episode and when I finally got the urge to get out and about again, I thought "Where's that camera..??" The DC50 was sad pathetic sight when I finally found it in the cupboard and the pix were even more shocking, so I decided to get another camera. I settled on a Finepix E500, just a few years ago. I loved it, I still do, but once again I decided to upgrade a little. 2 weeks ago I bought a FinepixS6000. I know it's only a budget style camera but it seriously looks the part and you know what,, I payed the same amount as the Kodak DC50 way back then. Geeez, what difference. For a budget style camera, this thing takes abnormally good pictures. On average, I use it at only 2 MP and on my 22" LCDmonitor I am astonished at the digital reproduction... I am really glad I bought it... I was going to really splash out and buy a camera about 3 times the price but I know from past experience, I will only want another in a years time, then another etc... So, I used common sense and bought a camera according to justification vs price. The S6000 was ideal...

Questions...

What is the difference between the S6000 and the S6500..??? I can't actually find an S6500 anywhere here...

Is there any plain software which will enable me to see the S6000 in Win XP as another drive..??? At present when I plug it in, XP pops up with the default scanner and camera viewer and is an ugly program to use. I usually use a file handler like Total Commander and when a camera is plugged in (like the E500)XPsees itas another drive and I can copy to/from the device no troubles. The S6000 does NOT register as an extra drive.Adversly, is there a way to make it register as another drive..???

Well, that my lot for the moment. I hope to pop back in here and pick your brains in days/weeks to come...

Cheers all...
fewpics is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 27, 2007, 5:54 PM   #2

fewpics,

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new camera purchase. The answer to your first question is easy...they are the same camera. Fuji markets cameras under different model numbers depending on geographic distribution. Here in the US, it is the S6000...in Europe, it is the S6500. I don't believe there is any difference between the cameras.

The answer to your second question may not be as easy. If I understand you correctly, the problem is you don't care for the FinePix Viewer software that you installed on your computer. When you plug your camera in, you get a popup window that offers you some choices to use for uploading pics from your camera...is this correct? If you click on My Computer, instead of seeing a removeable drive, you see a little icon of a camera and the title FinePix S6000FD...is this correct?

Now, if you want to click on my computer, and see a removeable drive, simply uninstall FinePix Viewer. Then you should see the camera as a removeable drive. You may also consider using a card reader for uploading pics to your computer.

Good luck, and let us know how it works out.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2007, 4:53 AM   #3

rinniethehun wrote:
Quote:
fewpics,

The answer to your second question may not be as easy. If I understand you correctly, the problem is you don't care for the FinePix Viewer software that you installed on your computer. When you plug your camera in, you get a popup window that offers you some choices to use for uploading pics from your camera...is this correct? If you click on My Computer, instead of seeing a removeable drive, you see a little icon of a camera and the title FinePix S6000FD...is this correct?

Now, if you want to click on my computer, and see a removeable drive, simply uninstall FinePix Viewer. Then you should see the camera as a removeable drive. You may also consider using a card reader for uploading pics to your computer.

Good luck, and let us know how it works out.

the Hun

Hey, thanks for the reply but unfortunately, you got it the wrong way around...

I haven't installed any viewer software. I haven't actuallyinstalled anything. In the past, I had NEVER installed any software for any cameras. I merely plugged them into the PC via the USB cable and let Windows detect them,, usually it would see it as an extra drive. From there you could use any file handler (in my case - Total Commander) or even Windows Explorer which would see it as an extra drive and create a Drive Letter andicon for it. You simply clicked on that icon and it would read the cameras memory just like reading a hard drive or a flash drive or CD or DvD. Now all you had to do was select which files (*.jpg) to copy and then copy them to which ever folder you wanted to...

What happens with the S6000 is,,, when I plug it in, up comes Windows default Scanner and Camera Wizard, rather like an Install New Software Wizard, with its Back/Next/Cancel options. I click on Next and eventually the contents of the camera will pop into view with a tick box next to each pic. As a default, all pics are ticked so all I do is to explore where to store them and press "Next". All the selected pics are copied... It not that bad-a-piece of software but I still hate it, as it's too Windows'ish if you see what I mean...

I didn't actually realize that you could go into My Computer and see the S6000 icon so thanks for pointingthat out. Usually if Windows sees it, them my Total Commander will also see it and create an icon for it but this time for some unexplainable reason, it does not see the camera, but what I did was to create a shortcut from theMy Computer S6000 iconto the desktop. Total Commander can read the desktop as a folder (which it is anyway), since Total Commander sees ALL of Windows in its native form as simply a bunch of collective files. Now I simply launch the S6000 icon and Total Commander will read the S6000's memory...

In the long runyou did help me out so many thanks Hun...

May the gods of the camera world shine a light onyour path for you... Cheers...
Old Feb 28, 2007, 6:19 PM   #4

im not sure about the s6000 but in my s9500 there is a option in the setup menu called usb mode, which allows you to choose between camera mode and file mode, as i said though not sure about the s6000, hopefully this is of some help
borrie869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2007, 2:27 AM   #5

I'll check that one out.. I also have a Nikon D80 and it has a similar USB protocol to what you are talking about... Thanks...

I did however try one of the suggestions made by rinniethehun.. I cancelled the Windows XP scanner/camera wizard and quit out of Total Commander file handler and clicked on "My Computer" to find an icon that represented the S6000. I copied and saved this icon to my S6000 directory and everytime I plug the S6000 in I click on that icon from Total Commander and voila, I can see the memory of the camera and simply transfer the images....
Old Mar 29, 2007, 5:40 PM   #6

Fewpics. Im a little puzzled as to why you would only use 2 mp and as to where you are. i see you have Auckland there. i was just looking at a New Zealand Fuji site and all the s6000's are sold there as 6500's. Cheers
Keithg is offline   Reply With Quote