Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jul 14, 2003, 10:46 AM   #1

Default Fuji 2800 - Low lighting with webcam

I just got a fuji finepix 2800, and tried using it as a webcam, it was aweful. The light was sooo low you could barely see me and I had THREE lights on. Has this happened to anyone else? Wondering if its the camera or my settings?? I tried going to settings while in webcam mode but nothing helped.. and it appeared that the settings were greyed out.

Another thing I've noticed with the camera, is it's horrible in low light.. is that common among digital cameras? I mean yea, when the flash goes on, the pic comes out pretty ok, but in order to SEE what you are actually shooting is nearly impossible.

Anyone out there with a 2800 experience these things?

One more thing.. it looks to me as if there is no way to turn the flash off.. is that right?
Panthera75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 19, 2003, 4:51 PM   #2

Default Re: Low lighting with webcam

The 2800 is indeed very dark in webcam mode -- my friend and I had setup no less than six 60-watt lamps facing us and the image was still dark. I believe it has something to do with a very high shutter speed used for the video speed but it could certainly use improvement.

As for seeing what you're shooting in low light, the 2800 has an electronic viewfinder and low light conditions is a weakness of all EVF's. Once you've used the camera enough your guesses will be fairly accurate.

You can turn the flash off, it's in the first menu in record mode. The icon looks like a no smoking sign and should be the 4th or 5th one up. This will disable the flash so it does not fire under any conditions.
Vladimir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2003, 7:20 AM   #3

Default 2800

Hello, I have had a 2800 for over a year now. Yes it is hard to see through the view finder in low light, but as the other response said, your guessing gets really good as soon as you are use to the camera. It is the same as the small delay in the picture taking time also. From the time you push the button until the picture takes is also a small delay, but you learn to work around that. Just push the button a little earlier than you normally would. I have made some really nice pictures with the camera. The only thing that bothers me about the 2800 is that it does not have the Super CCD feature. That is a great freature that Fuji has put on other cameras.
About the flash being turned off. go into the FLash mode and it is the second icon from the top. THe other reply was correct with teh way the icon looks. There is a 45 degree line through the flash icon.
Bagsfan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2003, 7:17 AM   #4

Thank you so much for replying, that helps a lot
Old Jul 23, 2003, 7:26 AM   #5

I found that "suppressed flash" icon.. it's almost like a circle with the arrow inside. I noticed when I use that feature, the hand appears on the screen. I read somewhere about it being a camera shake warning. I cannot hold still enough for it to go away.. so what's the purpose of this feature if you don't have a tripod. Does it still take good pictures even with that hand on the screen?? I wish I would've researched this camera a bit more before buying it.
Old Jul 23, 2003, 12:30 PM   #6

Default HAND ICON

THe Hand Icon will NOT go away unless there is NO MORE danger of the camera having enough light to take a SHARP picture. You can put the camera on a tri-pod and the icon will still be there. THe icon is just a WARNING that there is a possible chance that there will be unsharpness due to low light. WHO know, you may even want the lighting like it is. The camera cannot think. It is just programed that when there is a shortage of light the icon must come on.... You will NOT waste film with a Digital camera, SO just try and see what happens. That is one of the great things about digital cameras. YOu can test out stuff and get results right away. Have fun and hope you have a nice day with your camera. :lol:
Bagsfan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2003, 5:29 PM   #7

The hand signal warns when your camera shutter in auto mode is likely to be open longer than 1/80th second. The 2800 is a 100ASA camera - not that sensitive. It is not a focus warning, but you will get blurred pictures if you cannot hold the camera still enough, prop it against a wall or chair, or put it on a tripod. Even then, anything which moves in the scene will be blurred. This is when you really need to consider flash - even a more powerful external unit than the built in flash.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote