Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Mar 19, 2007, 3:06 PM   #11

As I mentioned when I first posted my comments about my son and myself having the same problem with the S9000, I have talked to a Fuji customer service person today and he says Fuji is repairing my camera under warranty even though it expired at the first of 2007. I have not gotten the camera back yet but he says it should be back to me by the end of this week and Fuji received the camera per my UPS tracking on 3-7-07 and acknowledged me with an e-mail that they had officially received it on Friday 3-9-07, therefore if I get it by the end of this week by this Friday, the 23rd, that would be a total sent, repaired, and returnedtimeof two weeks altogether, which is reasonable as far as I am concerned and also covering it under warranty further helps me to stay loyal as a Fuji customer. Now if all continues to go as well as it has so far, I will be sending my son's camera, once I get it from Puerto Rico, where he lives, to the repair center in NJ and expect the same consideration from Fuji in regard to repairing his command dial, too. I will post again once I get back from Puerto Rico with his around the first week in April. Standby for further news but at this point I give Fuji an "attaboy" for trying to keep me as a customer.
Chevy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2007, 9:26 PM   #12

I got my S9000 back a day earlier than expectedtoday and it definitely seems to be a little better in regard to the clicking of the command dial and I believe it has been upgraded, however, time will tell and I have been given an additional 90 day warranty from them to see what happens. I am pleased greatly at how Fuji treated me in this situation as they did fix it under warranty though it had expired around the end of Dec. 2006. One down and one to go as soon as I get back with my son's camera from Puerto Rico in a few more days. I believe Fuji will give me benefit of the doubt in regard to his, also, and I am going to send it to the same repair facility in New Jersey. Again, stand by for news. Kudos to Fuji for being fair and responsible in my situation.
Chevy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2007, 8:02 PM   #13

My Fuji S9000 command dial also has conked out, right around 14 or 15 months after purchase. This camera has had very gentle treatment. It sounded from my call to the Fuji service and warranty folks today like they are planning to fix the camera under warranty.
chris alex va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2007, 4:59 PM   #14

My Fuji S9000 command dial quit working today. It worked fine yesterday and when I turned it on today it wouldn't change the settings. This is very upsetting since I bought the camera in November of 2005 and I'm the only one who has every touched the camera. I treat it like a baby. This sounds like planned obsolescence to me. This is my second Fuji, I had an S602Z.

I hope I can get this taken care of promptly. This is not the season to be without a camera!

Simonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2007, 6:13 PM   #15

I don't think Fuji's command dial problem was planned - I think they are starting to realize what a nightmare it really is. Back in January of 2006, after following a thread about one of the first command dial failures on an S9000, I suggested that depending on the reason for the failure, it was quite possible that all command dials would eventually fail.

http://stevesforums.com/forums/view_...=16&page=1

I am beginning to believe I was correct in my assumption...if you own a Fuji S9000/9500, your command dial will eventually fail. At first, Fuji denied there was a problem. Now, it seems they are fixing defective cameras, even if outside the warranty period. Apparently they now agree that a significant number (maybe all) of S9000/9500 cameras were distributed with a defect and/or design flaw which would lead to failure of the command dial. I do not know if Fuji caught the problem early enough in production to remedy the situation, or if they just stopped making the S9000/9500's and began manufacturing S9100/9600's which apparently have improved command dial components.

It's great that Fuji is standing behind their products, and is making free repairs on broken command dials, but I think Fuji needs to do more. I think Fuji should issue a recall on these cameras and offer to modify them - before they break. Why should an owner have to deal with an inoperable camera while on the vacation of a lifetime? Or when attempting to capture a moment in time which will never repeat?

If I owned an S9000, I would be emailing, calling, and writing letters to Fuji, asking them to modify my command dial before it breaks.

Just my two cents...

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2007, 9:01 PM   #16

Thanks for your two cents. I agree with you, they should issue a recall. Has any camera company ever done that?
Simonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2007, 6:06 PM   #17

I am not aware of any camera company issuing a recall. Fuji as well as Canon has previously issued service advisories for defective imaging sensors. They offered to fix cameras which had a malfunction related to the sensors. Once again, this means your camera is like a time bomb. You snap away, just waiting for the inevitable malfunction, just so you can ship it off to the manufacturer to get it fixed.

I think it would be a tremendous marketing coup...think about it. Imagine a camera manufacturer offering to fix your camera because it may break, due to a potentially defective part. I think that company's sales would go up dramatically as a result. Not to mention winning over a customer for life.

What do you think Mr. Komori?

the Hun

Old Apr 3, 2007, 12:39 PM   #18

Camera manufacturers have issued recalls but generally for safety reason. Remember, if the camera has a flash it has high voltage inside. Defective LiIon batteries and AC power supplies can be fire hazards.

Recalls fornon-safety issues are probably another story.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2007, 7:40 AM   #19

Fellows , i put some pictures to explain how to open the FUJI S9000 to repair the command dial .

I recommend this procedure to only experienced people.

This is the second time , i open my Fuji S9000. The first time, I glued the small part broken .

Now, it is broken again. Soon ,I will put the solution here.

Good luck !

www.flickr.com/photos/jgustavoam/
jgustavoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2007, 6:56 AM   #20

Now where did I see these pictures before?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jgustavoam/308700916/

http://stevesforums.com/forums/view_...=16&page=1

Taken with the same camera (D60)...even the same pencil!

Will the real photographer please stand up.

the Hun