Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Mar 5, 2007, 7:04 PM   #1

Hi guys.

I'm a hobbist when it comes to taking photographs. About 2 years ago I decided I needed a decent camera. After some looking around I went for a Fuji 6900Zoom. It was a great camera & when I was offered a S7000, late last year, I thought it would be daft to pass it by.
I think, for me, the 7000 is way & above what I need for the time being as a year on I still can't take fantastic photos, & am still grappling with may of the camera's functions - but we all get there in the end right?
Anyway onto my litte problems.

First a quickie, I am currnetly using Duracel batteries but find the S7000 has a liking for them & can go through a set of batteries in one sitting. I have been wanting to get some rechargeables for sometime, what would you guys recommend?

Second, I live out in the middle of nowhere. Great for living, not so great for taking photos - one field tends to look like another. One of the great things we do have are very colourful sunsets. I was out taking some snapps the other day of said sunset &, on viewing the pictures on my computer, found them to have alot of 'noise' in the shot.
Here is a link to one of the shots, I have left it completely uneditied so its 1600x1200 (hence the link)

http://tinyurl.com/29743f

Can this be fixed on the camera or is it the nature of the CCD?
I belive the image was taken at 3Mb. Would I be better off taking them at 12, then editing them down for website/photo use?
I have found in the past if I do this it tends to make the image blury & sharpening it up tends to over compensate the image, here is a example:

http://tinyurl.com/yt238t

Its the next shot in sequence, after I played with some of the cameras settings.

Thanks in advance

Ross
rossnunn.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 6, 2007, 8:27 PM   #2

Hi Ross,

Your S7000 is a good camera capable of some very good pics. I've had mine for about two and a half years. I rarely shoot in RAW, most of my shots are done in 12mp fine soft, they look excellent when printed, for viewing on the computer they need to be resized. To me it is how they look when printed on a quality photo printer, not how they look at 100-200% on a monitor screen.

Clyde
Clyde Atkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2007, 8:33 PM   #3

thanks for the reply, ok I'll wind the res up & try some more.
I don't shoot in Raw, standard Jpeg. I find this easier to manage once in the PC.
Old Mar 7, 2007, 4:34 PM   #4

Nice to see another s7000 user on here also. As far as batteries go I have been using therechargeable energizer batteries. But if you are going to have your camera sit for a few days or so I would go with the enloope batteries. B
dbrown7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2007, 7:53 PM   #5

rossnunn.com wrote:
Quote:
thanks for the reply, ok I'll wind the res up & try some more.
I don't shoot in Raw, standard Jpeg. I find this easier to manage once in the PC.
Most of my shooting is in jpeg, but 12mp fine soft jpeg. Forgot to mention about the batteries, a couple ofgood sets of 2500 mah NiMh rechargeables is the only way to go, quite a few good brands out there.

Clyde
Clyde Atkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2007, 2:16 PM   #6

Thanks for the replys & apoligies for the late response.
It had absolutly nothing to do with me loosing the site address. :O

I recently took my 7000 along to a car show & it did quite well. Durning the day I started with shots set at 12Mbps Fine & Finished on 6Mbps Fine as I was rapidly running out of room on my memory card.
In total I spent 1 & 1/2 sets of Duracell's (rechargables are on the way!!) & as near as damn it 2x 512Mb SD cards.

The noise seems to have gone which is good.
The other day I found my Tripod so I can get & take some better looking pictures.
Old Jul 7, 2007, 12:21 PM   #7

Hi guys.

Here are a couple of the images, both taken at 6mp Fine, they are in a unmolested form hence the links - they're rather large.
I had taken all the images with colour chroming switched on, not sure if this was the best way as one could always richen up the images afterwards.
The camera was set in Auto mode.
This picture:

http://web.onetel.com/~glynnunn/ross/pics/1.jpg

was taken in multishot.

This:

http://web.onetel.com/~glynnunn/ross/pics/2.jpg

I was right up in the eves of a gradstand with the camera on near full zoom, I tried a couple of shots before hand but they came out blury - I wasn't able to see the car coming round the corner - as the camera was focusing on either peoples heads infront of me or the billboards etc beind the car. So I switched to center focusing & pre-set the focus level at the curb & waited for the cars to apper in the shot then held the multishot for 3 frames.
The only down side really for me is I found it difficault to keep the car focused & blur the background, but in this shot I think one still get the sense of movement with the smoke?

Let me know your opionions, good or bad I don't mind.

I have ordered a new adapter tube, UV filter & flower shade as well as a Polorizing filter ready for the next show (Next Sunday (15th) so any tips would be greatly recivied.

:|
Old Jul 12, 2007, 1:40 PM   #8

Hi guys,

Quick question, I am off to a show on Sunday, however it maybe raining.
Is there anyway of protecting the camera while I use it? or do they have some sort of 'drissle' protection or is it a case of under the jacket, out, shoot, back under the jacket??

Cheers
Old Aug 12, 2007, 8:02 PM   #9

I've been experimenting with my s7000. Someone said you shouldn't judge how
your photos look on your monitor. My MP settings on my camera seem to be working in reverse for some reason. The higher MP setting I select the more grainy the photo and less detail on the monitor anyway. 1&2MP look far better than 6MP and I have never tried the 12MP. Still I don't know that 6MP should look
more grainy on my monitor than 1 or 2MP but it does look worse. Is there anything wrong with the camera that I might not have checked? It's just weird
that the higher I go the worse it looks.
Kyguy05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2007, 2:28 PM   #10

Ok's just got back in from taking some photos at dusk of my car.
I had the camera wound up to 12MpF & pretty much all the shots are utter rubbish.
I was using a tripod & had the camera set on Auto as I was freezing my butt off & wanted to grsome shots before sundown.
Anyway, get them back home & every single one is grainy, & not just not a little bit either.
I have printed one of the photo's out to see if it's my montior screwing them up, so upped my Epson R300 to flatout & ran off a 6x4 & the result? grainy!

This is starting to get me down, I see some peoples photo's are pin sharp & crystal clear & they're only using cheapie point & click jobbies.
I'll try downing to 1Mb & see what happens tomorrow night.
I'n the mean time here is one of the images:

http://web.onetel.com/~glynnunn/ross/pics/106/side.jpg

I've resized it so if you want the native let me know & I'll upload it.
You can seen the grain on the red parts & on the alloys.

H.E.L.P