Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Mar 22, 2007, 7:39 PM   #31

Mate I don't have to spend £260 to make my girl happy. £50 gift voucher for the local shoe store would work just as well lol

I suspect I'll end up hanging back on the SLR for a while now. Have to admit that the more time I spend with the Fuji, the more it seems to be growing on me.

Wouldn't mind seeing some photos taken with the S9600 though. All the demo shots I've seen on review sites really don't do the camera any justice.
TheMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2007, 8:12 PM   #32
cpe

You have probaly done a lot of research already, so I hope you haven't already seen these: http://www.megapixel.net/reviews/fuj...s9100-samp.php or these: http://www.trustedreviews.com/digita...nePix-S9600/p7.
cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2007, 8:15 PM   #33

Seen the first, second link broken but have looked on that site.
Thanks for taking time to reply though buddy. I really mean photography by S9600 users more than reviewers images.
Old Mar 22, 2007, 9:59 PM   #34

The problem with images on-line is you know little to nothing about the image or the photographer. How competent was the picture taker? Did the person hand-hold the image and thus the result is a slightly soft image from camera shake, but that you think means the camera isn't all that great?Is the color off because they had the camera set wrong? Did they do their own Photoshop corrections badly (e.g. oversharpened, or oversaturated color)? How much was the image compressed to put it on line? So much can make an on-line image look horrible.Or they "pixel-peep", enlarging the heck out of the image on their monitor and seeing all kinds of bad stuff, real and imagined, that in fact cannot be seen in a print (which is truly the only realistic thing to judge).

The best image to review is your own. Go find a nicely lit, detailed colorful scene. Put the camera on a tripod, make sure the settings are correct, and shoot it. If you are good at Photoshop, make the corrections you desire.If not, send it to a pro-quality lab for correction. Either way, have the pro quality labprintit in the largest size you expect to have prints made of - 8x10 at least, or 11x14 or even 16x20. This print now demonstrates what the camera is capable of. Look at the print from the proper viewing distance (not way up close, and not with a magnifying glass). Are you happy? Then the camera is perfect!

Don't think that the camera that shows the finest little detail is "the best", one that shows a bit more than yours is "better", or even that more detail is whatmakes "a good print" -its about the entire image and how it speaks to you. Some of the finest images ever made were with cameras that can't produce a tenth of the resolution of a modern little point-&-shoot camera. Technical perfection does not make "a good photo". Hand a noted pro a 3 megapixel point & shoot and they'll produce images that blow us all away.

Too many are hung up on what is the "best camera" - but its the eye behind the camera that makes a good or bad print. The camera simply doesn't matter - its a tool, nothing more. Its all about the photographer's vision. Don't worry about anyone else's images - if yours make you happy, that's what matters. If they please others too - then all is well in the universe.

Jim

AutoXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2007, 11:38 PM   #35

The other problem with online images is that they must be significantly reduced in size and quality in order to be small enough to be published on a website. And then, no matter what type of image gets displayed, invariably you will find that you are looking for something that is just a little bit different. You will need a different type of photograph to show what a camera can do in your specific situation. I have some wonderful images from my 9000. But by the time I get them posted on the website they have been reduced in size so much, and the depth of the color is reduced to the point that you cannot see the real quality of the image.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2007, 12:41 PM   #36

I had a walk through the local wilderness here today and snapped a few shots.

I have to admit that I was very impressed with the camera.

The first thing I experimented with was the super macro feature which is fantastic, especially with used with the manual focus feature to adjust the depth of field in the shot as featured below.

Attached Images

Old Mar 23, 2007, 12:53 PM   #37

The zoom isn't as powerful as I'd hoped, but it's still very good and a clear improvement on my P880.

I shot this critter at around 40 feet with no time taken to frame or focus.
Attached Images

Old Mar 23, 2007, 1:02 PM   #38

And again from around 30 feet.

Attached Images

Old Mar 23, 2007, 1:15 PM   #39

Here's a 3 step zoom from the same position.

Attached Images

Old Mar 23, 2007, 1:25 PM   #40

More depth of field testing.

Attached Images