Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Mar 18, 2007, 8:58 PM   #1

I just brought a FinePix S9000 a couple of weeks ago, before that I had a Canon S45 a 4 megapix camera. When I recieved my new camera, i tried some test shots and I was not impressed with the sharpness and color of the S9000 compared to my old Canon, so i searched the net an found this forum.

When I am viewing my S9000 captured pictures at my laptop which have a resolution of 1024 x 768, the images are too noisy specially when theres a shadow on the image. The dark parts look like grey speckles, but when I am viewing it on a monitor its not that bad at 2048 x 1536. But when i view pictures captured by my Canon S45 it shows a good image on both laptop and monitor. Is there anything wrong with my camera?

I will attach 100% crops of two photos to show what i mean
This first photo is Taken at 9M Fine setting, 1/250, F/5.6, ISO 80 at 22mm

Attached Images

rsmacaalay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 18, 2007, 9:01 PM   #2

Here is the whole image resized, to see where i cropped it from
Attached Images

Old Mar 18, 2007, 9:07 PM   #3

Now this is another 100% crop 9M Fine, 1/600, ISO 200, F3.7 at 17mm
Attached Images

Old Mar 18, 2007, 9:08 PM   #4

And here is the full image resized
Attached Images

Old Mar 19, 2007, 1:12 AM   #5

I will try again. Don't know what I am doing posting pictures yet. Sorry!

I downloaded your picture and ran it through a new program I am trying out called "Neat Image". I do not know how to run the program very well yet but I feel it did a fair to good job of reducing the noise in your photograph.

Good luck!

Attached Images

eagle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2007, 1:20 AM   #6

rsmacaalay: Quite frankley I do not know why you are getting this much noise at ISO 200. I just purchased a S9100 and have been taking a lot of pictures under a lot of different lighting conditions and I am not seeing this kind of noise at ISO 200 you have in the picture I worked on.

I feel I am seeing this kind of noise when I shoot at ISO 400. But you have taken a rather small crop from your original picture.
eagle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2007, 10:57 AM   #7

This discussion has been going on ever since the 9000 was released. I am going to give you some answers but you are not going to believe me. And since that is the case, you would be well advised to get rid of the camera and choose something else.

First of all, it is a total waste of time to evaluate your images and 100 percent magnification. It has been stated many times over that typical monitors will not have the capability to adequately resolve the image.

Next, I do a lot of reading online. Not all of it is from Fuji. In fact, most of it is not from Fuji. If you are evaluating your images for print, 50 percent magnification is what you should use.

Next, if you want to evaluate the quality of your images print an image that is at least 8x10 inches or larger. The quality of the image is there. I have printed a number of 8x10 and even larger images that have been significantly cropped and they have been very clear.

Next, do not use the Auto mode on the camera. I use aperture preferred or programmed most of the time. It does make a difference.

In my opinion, your full shots that you posted look very good. You aren't going to be trying to look at them at 100 percent. It doesn't make a lot of sense to do all the pixel peeping at 100 percent. I can assure you you are just wasting your time.

Now I realize that it won't be long until someone responds that I don't know what I'm talking about. I will not argue that issue. I have only had my S9000 for about 15 months. I went through all the initial shock of expecting everything to be crystal clear, razor-sharp, and everything else you can think of that you would expect from this 9 MP camera. The pictures are not as sharp as those from a digital SLR. The sensor is much smaller. That is a fact that cannot be changed. I worried about it for quite some time before I finally settled down and became more thoroughly familiar with the camera. All I can say is that I am very happy with what I get. I don't post pictures very often anymore because they lose a lot of quality when they are downsized for the Web. And besides that, most people don't like my pictures anyway. So you are going to have to decide whether you want the camera or not. From what you have posted, it looks to me like your camera is working just fine. But like I say, you aren't going to believe what I have written. All I can say is that the camera is producing better images than what you think it is producing.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2007, 5:42 PM   #8

What JP saidrsmacaalay, I have the same camera and it takes wonderful pictures..

Just take the time to learn the camera...after all, experimenting is free with digital cameras. Print off your best and then decide.

I'm always amazed at these types of dicussions.....has everyone forgot the "noise" inherent in film......

bill soper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2007, 4:02 PM   #9

Whats your reaction to this one then http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...=16&page=1

Old Mar 20, 2007, 5:02 PM   #10

In theory, what you say is correct. That is why many of people who have bought the 6000/6500 are convinced they have higher quality images than what can be obtained from the 9000 series. But in the end, I believe it is all relative.

Last summer I was asked to photograph a wedding. Not one of my favorite tasks, but he is a very good friend. I had a little problem with my 9000 and had to send it in for repair. I also have one of the older Fuji S5100 cameras. It is just a 4 MP camera that does not have a super CCD. My son-in-law also let me borrow his Nikon D70. I used it as the main camera for the wedding, and the 5100 was used for "extra" pictures. I assembled a photo album that I sent to mypublisher.com to have printed. There were images from both cameras included in the album. There were full-page images from both cameras. They all printed beautifully. It would be difficult, if not impossible, for anyone to pinpoint what images came from what camera.

My point is that the images are really very good from any of the digital cameras. Worrying about sharpness at 100 percent is not worth the time. Some people really like to get technical and try to find a camera or a software program or a technique that will give them the absolute sharpest cleanest photograph possible. But in my experience, when I share pictures people are not worrying about sharpness, or noise, or any of that stuff. When my last little granddaughter was born last summer we were taking pictures of her, and she did not like the flash. So we switched the camera to the natural light mode and took some more pictures. Some of them are a little noisy, ISO 800, very low light. But when I show the pictures I have yet to hear a complaint. We have pictures of a newborn baby that let us see what the baby looks like. And that's all people are worried about. I just wish people could enjoy the pictures for what they are rather than worrying so much about all the technical stuff.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote