Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Mar 25, 2007, 9:13 AM   #1

:??:? Hiya all. Know nothing about cameras but bought Fuji F31 on strength of wot i've read here, going to use it under water. Can anybody give advice - will i need a strobe - wot settings to use for best results. can practice on land before hols but could be entirely different under water majority of photos will be taken at 15- 20 meters ish. Any advice will be appreciated.
wkddilligaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 25, 2007, 7:38 PM   #2

I think the F31, with its high ISO capability was an excellent choice on your part. Their are so many variables when shooting underwater, it would be impossible to anticipate actual camera settings in advance. Water clarity, time of day, direct sunlight or cloudy conditions, angle of the sun, fresh or salt water, actual depth, distance to subject, etc. You can use the camera's internal flash to illuminate your subject. I would recommend you practice taking pictures in all different lighting conditions, and learn the various setting options on your camera.

This may seem like a real dumb question, but you did buy the underwater housing for your camera, didn't you?

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2007, 7:03 PM   #3

wot underwater housing? ..lol.. Yes.Thanks 4 reply, have been taking underwater pics for few years with sea and sea MX10, great lil camera but dont do it often enough, also by the time i get them developed forgotten what settings i used, but last time took more notice and vast improvement. Thought easier to go digital and cirtainly more convenient as only recently bought computer (use one in work and tried to stay away as long as i could but converted now). One thing though when i get it spot on with MX10 pics very clear and can be enlarged without loosing detail will i still have this clarity on enlarged pics with digital?
Old Mar 27, 2007, 8:01 PM   #4

The nice thing about digital photography is that you can look at your pictures on the LCD screen right after taking them, and delete and reshoot as necessary. In addition, after you've uploaded your pics into your computer, you can review the EXIF data embedded in you pics, and see all the pertinent exposure parameters you used for each shot. If the shot came out a little dark, and you only used ISO 200, next time try ISO 400. If the subject is a little blurry, and you used a shutter speed of 1/60 second, crank it up to 1/125 next time out (or down, as the case may be).

The amount of detail you lose when enlarging a digital image, depends on the quality of the pic, and the degree of enlargement. I don't know how large you are considering, but the F31 pics, taken at the 6MP Fine mode should permit excellent enlargements without loss of detail.

Good luck with your new cam, and post a couple of underwater pics when you can.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2007, 8:59 PM   #5

Took delivery of camera todaybut not had much time to have a play with it, hopefully more time tomorrow. The advice about the EXIF data is really useful as it was unknown to me, thanks again.Nodoubt this info alone will have saved me many hours ofless than fruitfull photography