Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Mar 26, 2007, 5:31 PM   #1

So I'm down to the F30/31 and Canon SD 800 in my research that will (hopefully soon) end in my buying my first digital camera. I think I'm pretty familiar at this point with the pros and cons of each camera, but I had a question about the F30/31 that seemed ambiguous in places...

Does the f30 interface with a Mac running OSXv10.4.x? Will I need an external card reader, or will it be possible to plug my camera directly into my ibook via the USB cable? I didn't see the f30 on Apple's list of compatible cameras, but it seemed odd that it wouldn't work with the newest OS.

Can anyone help me with this issue? Feel free, as well, to offer any other tidbits of info about the f30 that might be useful to know and aren't already in all the reviews that are out there...

Thanks,
A
ams78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 26, 2007, 6:00 PM   #2

I don't have the F30, but I haven't read of any problems connecting it to the Mac. I just checked the Fuji USA website and looked in the manual for the F30, and it indicates that software is included that will allow you to connect the camera directly to your computer. Having said that, most of the "experts" that I have read say that using a card reader is a more reliable and safer way to download your images. I'm sure there are others who will disagree with that, but that is what I have read, and that is how I download the images from my cameras.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2007, 6:06 PM   #3

I've seen that written too, but, to be honest, with a camera, case, and memory card all coming at once, I'm not wild about adding the purchase of another accessory, at least not right away. I've had no issue with direct transfer when borrowing a friend's canon, but I wasn't certain if the situation might be different given the differing types of memory cards...
ams78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2007, 6:13 PM   #4

Card readers are not very expensive at all. But the camera does come with a cable that will connect to your camera. Just make sure your batteries have plenty of power, and make sure the camera is connected before you turn it on. And turn it off before you disconnect. Personally, I think a $20 investment in a card reader is pretty good insurance, though.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2007, 11:19 AM   #5

Hi to you all,
I have a S5200 and I plug in directly in my iMac Intel OS X 10.4.9. No problem at all. Use the USB cable and the camera will mount on the desktop as a HD and you can download any photos you want from there. I also have a Nikon D50 and it's the same. However, if you want a photo app like iPhoto to manage your downlaod when a camera is connected, you need a card reader then iPhoto starts and takes charge of the download. Voilà. In a nutshell two options: with a card reader, any photo management app (iPhoto for example) will take charge of the download; without a card reader, the camera mounts on the desktop like any external device would on a Mac (CD, DVD, HD, etc). So go on an tke photos.

Germain
Karmin is offline   Reply With Quote