Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Apr 20, 2007, 2:45 AM   #1

Just taking my first few shots with the new camera. I'm sure this is user error, but wondering what might be to blame for the noise levels in these shots. They arent in great light, but the ISO speeds are all under 800, yet the noise is still very noticable as far as I'm concerned. Not sure how to pull EXIF data, but will try to include as much info as possible. Any advice is appreciated. All pics are handheld.

First is ISO 400, 1/10 Sec, F 3.8

Attached Images

SoundDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 20, 2007, 2:54 AM   #2

Pic 2
ISO 400, 1/2 sec, f3.7

Attached Images

Old Apr 20, 2007, 6:20 AM   #3

You need to post your pics here for us to see your EXIF...linking won't do it. I resized your first pic, but the EXIF wasn't there.

I don't know how you're viewing this picture, but I don't see noise. I see some motion blur because of the slow shutter speed you used. Try taking this pic with another brand of P&S camera - you will know what noise looks like. If you're going to be looking at pics under a microsope, you will see grain on those taken with a $7,000 camera with a $12,000 lens. Try printing it out and see how it looks.

the Hun
Attached Images

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2007, 7:34 PM   #4

I see plenty of noise in both photos, but it is generally unobtrusive. Even though Fuji makes the best non-DSLR cameras for non-flash, low-light usage, they are not noise-free - they are simply better than the competition in this regard.

As the Hun has stated, the main issue with these photos is blur due to slow shutter speeds while taking a hand-held shot.

Also, note that noise characteristics at a given ISO are not finite. An outdoor shot with the S6000fd at ISO 400 may result in comparatively little noise, whereas a low-light indoor photo shot at ISO 400 may show considerably more noise. However, imo, it's not so bad when it is a fine, consistent grain.

ISO 400 shot, hand-held, full zoom:

Attached Images

flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2007, 7:41 PM   #5

This image was taken handheld, but I was propped against a sofa. ISO 800, zoom around 3x. There is grain, but no current non-Fuji camera can get this shot this good. I had owned my S6000fd for about a week at this point.
Attached Images

flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2007, 8:19 PM   #6

SoundDust,

I have had quite a bit of experience fighting the noise issue on the s6000fd over the last couple of months....shooting in the noisiest mode you can imagine....night-time soccer shot at full zoom. The attached shot was at ISO1600 at full zoom with a 1.7X Sony HGD-1758 teleconverter on the front.

There is noise present, but I would challenge any non-DSLR to match it. I know how much of an improvement it is over the Olympus C-750 it replaced.

(BTW....shot taken at a distance of about 55 yards across the field, about 15-20 yards down the field)
Attached Images

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2007, 8:44 PM   #7

I had meant to display a shot taken at a match where we had to go to ISO 3200, but all of the shots taken at ISO 3200 with the long lens attached on our home field were overexposed. I had to go back a match to a poorly lit field we visited to get a photo that stretched the camera's capability. Noise is present, but the image is very usable.
Attached Images

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2007, 2:24 AM   #8

I think it was mostly an issue of pixel peeping. I was up in SF/Napa this weekend and took some really excellent shots. Its just a matter of me becoming familiar with my new toy Here is one of my favs from the weekend.

Attached Images