Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jul 25, 2003, 1:38 PM   #1

Default How to maintain quality of files/Resaving, etc. - Fufi 6t02S

The manual, in several places, says that if you Save AS and select EXIF-Jpeg, it will lose quality. That would be the same if I rername it, and use that format. I don't understand that. I don't have that problem in any of my other programs, although this format is 'new' to me. I have been useing a Canon up until this week (just bought a new S602).

Reading furhter, it says if I Save As and select EXIF-TIFF, I won't lose qualityi. But guess what? I just change a 296KB file to almost 4MB!

And, of course, the Fuji camera uses the same names over again, unless you keep the last image on teh camera, argh.

I see that I can have it automatically rename the files and save them at the time of downloading, which would, I assume, eliminate the problem of duplicate file names.

Of course after the files are downloaded, I like to organize them in different folders by topic, etc. I presume copying them around wont' be a problem, as I'm not having the software reformat them.

So, how is everyone else handling download, organizing, and saving files from their S602? Any recommendations?
ewingr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 25, 2003, 3:09 PM   #2
djb

i'm sure there are easier ways than this but, i use a sandisk 6in1 reader. plug my card in it and copy the files to my disk. i then rename them and put them in appropriate folders. after that i can manipulate the pictures anyway i want.

dennis

p.s. after they are on my disk i delete them in the camera.
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2003, 10:58 PM   #3

I'm a scrapbooker with three children. I like to keep things in cronological order. When I download the pictures I use the date as the file name and put them in a folder labled "organize". I have folders for each of the kids labled with the month and year. After I download I just "copy or move" the picture to the appropriate folder. Then everyone has copies or the actual picture that belongs in their photoalbum (when I get to them )

Good Luck.
futbol mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2003, 1:25 AM   #4

Default &02 files in Computer

I do exactly what Dennis does. It has worked for me for almost a year now. In some folders, such as the one for my puppy. I do like futbol Mom. For example. I file a picture as n Luke26July2003.

Luke is my dog. The picture was taken on 26th July 2003
Bagsfan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2003, 5:53 AM   #5

jpeg is a "lossy" format in that it each time it saves, it recompresses the data, and in doing so you lose a bit of picture quality each time you save. for a drastic example of this process, take any picture and save it under a different filename, only in the lowest quality highest compression setting (1 or 10%). you will get a very small file but see the jpeg "jaggies" in the picture, or in this case, huge hunking block like smudges.

anyway the technology is such that each time it saves, it reprocesses your picture, and thus you lose a bit each time you save. generally you should save at 10 or higher in photoshop, or 90% or higher to keep such loss of quality at "trace levels"

tiff files are non-lossy, but are huge, and imho not worth doing. png format is smaller but processor intensive, so also not really worth the time for me. what i do is i straight copy (not open & resave) all my pictures and automatically save them in an "original" folder or burn em onto a cd. no renaming, no nothing. then anything i need to do, i make a copy of that original picture and work on that. that way you always have a set of "originals" and do not lose any noticeable amounts of quality in any of your pics. hope this helps =)

Somy
somynex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2003, 6:17 AM   #6

Default VERY INTERESTING SOMY

WOW, this makes me a little nervous because I have only saved by renaming files. So what you are saying is that just because I rename a picture, I reduce the quality of picture :?: That is TOTALLY NOT COOL :shock: Thank you very much for passing this on. YOu said that you brn the pictures on a CD without renaming them. When you do that , IS THERE ANY QUALITY LOSS ???????
Bagsfan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2003, 6:25 AM   #7

sorry, i did not mean to illicit such fears =) read on and rest easy...

i don't believe if you just rename a picture, like through windows explorer or the rename function in DOS or the batch rename function in irfanview, that there will be any quality loss. anyway if there is any, it will be minimal if you only do it once and not of a concern.

burning onto a cd, which implies a straight copy will also not involve any quality loss.

what i believe is that if you open a file in an viewing/editing program such as photoshop or irfanview, then do a save as, and choose a different name, that the program will probably not be smart enough to detect that you had not made any changes to the file and thus reapply the compression algorithm. in such a case, you will see a loss of quality in accordance to the compression setting you had chosen.

saving and resaving at minimal compression (large jpeg files, 90% quality or higher) will result in minimal quality loss that you really don't have to worry too much about unless you wanna really get nit-picky ultra-technical on things that you most probably will not see or notice

hope this puts your fears to rest. take it easy. is all good =)

Somy
somynex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2003, 8:08 AM   #8

Renaming a jpeg file DOES NOT INTRODUCE LOSS! As explained it's the recursive saving of the same JPEG to another that is progressively lossy each time. However, repeated saving of the HUGE TIFF is OK because it is not a compressed format.

What I do is rename the original camera JPEGs, access their properties by 'select all' in the same directory, then check the read only box. All editing is then made on a copy in one single session. If I think time is short and I need 2 sessions, I save the first as a TIFF, then bring that back, finish the work later and finally, save as a JPEG.

When I save as a JPEG I tweak the compression sliders until the new file size is about 10% bigger than the camera original.

If you have done a lot of complicated editing work on a pic, and think you might do more in future - save as the larger TIFF format.

Unfortunately, photo editor software writers haven't woken up yet to the useful facility of allowing the saving of an edit decision list (which is only the undo list) as a small file which you run with the copy of the cam original to reproduce the edit moves, to avoid saving the TIFF.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote