Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Aug 21, 2003, 1:23 PM   #21

NeatImage is the defacto software of choice for noise reduction at the moment. Go here and try it out, even on web scaled photos!

http://www.neatimage.com/index.html?
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2003, 9:36 AM   #22

Default Fuji 602 Z con---

I have a 602 Z and the only con that I have found on it so far is that your lowest ISO is 200 and 160 with manual.... If it is sunny and you want to shot landscape, you have to start doing Math :roll: I dont like math..... :lol:
Bagsfan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2003, 12:52 PM   #23

Why not get a couple of neutral density filters (ND) of different values for the bright sunny day? But doesn't the 602 shutter go up to 1/10,000th second?

That should be good enough for solar eclipses!
Old Aug 22, 2003, 1:08 PM   #24

djb....does anyone seem to think (like i do for now) that the 3MP setting seems much crisper and sharper than the 6MP setting?....

Yes, you are right - that is the perception I had for some less detailed scenes on a monitor, and generally only printing professionally up to to 6X4.

But, then I started looking a bit more critically at edges of detail, and grot that appeared in plain areas like sky. I came to the conclusion that for ordinary shooting to print 6X4's for regular shots the 3.2Mpix Normal was fair. But, I could do a better job in post (cleaner sharpen, less background grot) which mean't bigger prints would be much improved. You will find that the amount of in-cam sharpening added in Normal at 6Mpix is less, so you think 3.2 is better. But if you sharpen the 6Mpix Normal a bit more in post,you will see better edge detail - but not in my view a quantum leap. Remember the 602 always acquires a 6Mpix image, 3.2 is a downsample.

Since I could never remove in-cam sharpening and artefacts (whether it was the appropriate camera setting or not) I decided to run with 6Mpix soft. Actually you will probably find contrast and level corrections pull more out of a picture. Sharpness can be and is illusion! VOX
Old Aug 22, 2003, 3:22 PM   #25
djb

Vox, thanx!!! i was comparing 6 MP fine and soft with 3MP fine and soft. when looking at the 3 MP pixel edges when increased in size 200% or more they looked sharper and clearer than the 6MP pixel edges. as for editing and printing, well, i have an extremely long way to go before i become proficient using photodeluxe home ver. 4.0 which is now discontinued. i will still use the 6 MP settings for most shots. thanx!!!

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2003, 5:08 PM   #26

djb... There's been some resolution tests done and these convinced me that the Fuji 6Mpix can look close to a 4.2 Mpix cam. What others say is what you see on a monitor, doesn't bear out the result when you print.

This seems strange, but when you think about it, everything you view and zoom into is scaled by your monitor graphics card to the resolution of your screen. I think when you come to print a 3.2 Mpix image file and a 6, the printer has more information to work with.

I once did a down sample from a 6 Mpix image to a 3 and with some post sharpening could get similar results to the camera. However on detailed scenes, say with lots of grass or foliage, the camera can over sharpen and pics can then look horrible. Also, in plain areas where the jpeg artefacts become more visible (at 3 Mpix), the in-camera sharpening can enhance them. The turning point was when I tried to get some good pics of our re-homed pussy cat. If you want a good test model for 3/6 Mpix and in-cam/post sharpening - then shoot some cat fur close up!

In the end I decided, for most shots where I might print or enlarge, 6Mpix soft would be OK and I'd do the extra work in post. But if I went to a wedding as a casual shooter and needed lots of (100+) general pics on a CDROM for the happy couple, hours after shooting, then 3.2Mpix Fine, Normal sharpening would be OK.