Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jun 14, 2007, 11:25 PM   #31

CoolD-

I pretty much have already answered most of your question about your posted photos. Check www.bhpotovideo.com for a screen protector. Exposure Compensation is accomplished using the lowest button to the right on the back of the S-700. Another use for that button is to press it when you are playing back an image. It will show the histogram for that image and the actual aperture and shutter speed used.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2007, 3:20 AM   #32

Some good advice provided by Mtclimber. CoolD i strongly recommend that you read a beginners guide to photography 101 - to learn the basic functions and photographic principles. I have had my S5700 for about 2 weeks. I haven't had time to use it very much yet but so far i am very impressed with it. It takes good photos and is the best price-to-peformance camera on the market at the moment, at only $340(AUS).
We've been getting some crazy rain on the East coast(Sydney) here lately and i spotted a beautiful dual rainbow across the dark grey sky. I promptly whipped out my camera and captured it. I will upload it later, haven't even installed the supplied software yet. Although it is still early release and there aren't many solid reviews, the S5700 looks to become a great entry level digital SLR camera, and sucessor to the popular S5600.
This is my first 'proper' digital camera that i have owned and i am an amateur getting into digital photography as as serious hobby. My brain almost exploded reading hundreds of reviews of different camera models trying to find the 'best' one. I'm so glad that i have finally been through all the frustrating research and buying decision process. I have still yet to use my camera in a proper 'test run' environment. I have only taken some random photos around my house of my dog and stuff, lol.
jmp1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2007, 3:22 AM   #33

Some good advice provided by Mtclimber. CoolD i strongly recommend that you read a beginners guide to photography 101 - to learn the basic functions and photographic principles. I have had my S5700 for about 2 weeks. I haven't had time to use it very much yet but so far i am very impressed with it. It takes good photos and is the best price-to-peformance camera on the market at the moment, at only $340(AUS).
We've been getting some crazy rain on the East coast(Sydney) here lately and i spotted a beautiful dual rainbow across the dark grey sky. I promptly whipped out my camera and captured it. I will upload it later, haven't even installed the supplied software yet. Although it is still early release and there aren't many solid reviews, the S5700 looks to become a great entry level digital SLR camera, and sucessor to the popular S5600.
This is my first 'proper' digital camera that i have owned and i am an amateur getting into digital photography as as serious hobby. My brain almost exploded reading hundreds of reviews of different camera models trying to find the 'best' one. I'm so glad that i have finally been through all the frustrating research and buying decision process. I have still yet to use my camera in a proper 'test run' environment. I have only taken some random photos around my house of my dog and stuff, lol.
Old Jun 15, 2007, 7:25 AM   #34

My Fuji S5700 is now5 weeks old and going great - some of my personal thoughts re reviews and opinions. Firstly a camera has to be seen in the light of it's target audience, features, image quality and PRICE. I can see some reviewers making a big deal about the "awful" purple fringing or maybe "terrible" noise at high ISOs, or still not having lens or CCD shift stabilisation technology etc etc. No camera is perfect and I can see evidence of some purple fringing and noise depending on the scene. It is worse than my old Fuji S3500- BUT, looking at the overall performance, the S5700 is so versatile, easy to use and a great learning ( a step above pointand shoot)camera. I can take good looking shots with the S5700 I wouldn't have even considered with the older camera. eg super macro, hand held 10x zoom, low light without flash hand held etc. If I look at the pics on the monitor at 'normal' size (eg 25%) or print them up to a reasonable size, they look great! Imay see a bit of fringing, especially if I'm LOOKING FOR IT. It's not enough to be a problem for me but if I was to become focussed (no pun intended) on just one aspect of the pic it would spoil it for me and I'd not enjoy all the benifits in most every other area of a budget priced but very versatile camera. If I zoom right intoa corner of the image - say leaves against a bright back ground I can seesome purple haze but I realize I'm looking at it from an unrealistic perspective. I know things like this really bother some folks but not me. If I want a near perfect still shot, I'll borrow my son's Canon DSLR!! Try taking a nice movie (which you can't with an SLR) or a super macro or long zoom shot with the Canon without spending a fortune on extra lenses.! Rob
Rob Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2007, 7:26 AM   #35

My Fuji S5700 is now5 weeks old and going great - some of my personal thoughts re reviews and opinions. Firstly a camera has to be seen in the light of it's target audience, features, image quality and PRICE. I can see some reviewers making a big deal about the "awful" purple fringing or maybe "terrible" noise at high ISOs, or still not having lens or CCD shift stabilisation technology etc etc. No camera is perfect and I can see evidence of some purple fringing and noise depending on the scene. It is worse than my old Fuji S3500- BUT, looking at the overall performance, the S5700 is so versatile, easy to use and a great learning ( a step above pointand shoot)camera. I can take good looking shots with the S5700 I wouldn't have even considered with the older camera. eg super macro, hand held 10x zoom, low light without flash hand held etc. If I look at the pics on the monitor at 'normal' size (eg 25%) or print them up to a reasonable size, they look great! Imay see a bit of fringing, especially if I'm LOOKING FOR IT. It's not enough to be a problem for me but if I was to become focussed (no pun intended) on just one aspect of the pic it would spoil it for me and I'd not enjoy all the benifits in most every other area of a budget priced but very versatile camera. If I zoom right intoa corner of the image - say leaves against a bright back ground I can seesome purple haze but I realize I'm looking at it from an unrealistic perspective. I know things like this really bother some folks but not me. If I want a near perfect still shot, I'll borrow my son's Canon DSLR!! Try taking a nice movie (which you can't with an SLR) or a super macro or long zoom shot with the Canon without spending a fortune on extra lenses.! Rob
Old Jun 15, 2007, 7:27 AM   #36

Sorry about the double post

Rob
Old Jun 15, 2007, 9:05 AM   #37

I got a skylight filter, and it doesn't seem to have made a whole load of difference. However post production has.

It seems the S5700 is overly sensitive to blue, and in very bright conditions it creates this purple/blue halo. Although I am a Photoshop fan, the free program Irfanview (www.irfanview.com) not only gives you fantastic batch processing, but also really simple tweaking for speedy edits. If you go into Enhance Colors, and decrease the blue a couple of notches, and correct the gamma, you get the results posted here.

Photo 1 is the untouched original.
Photo 2 is the gamma corrected, blue decreased version.

I may have overdone it with taking out the blue, but you get the point. Further to this, the fine detail has got much clearer.

Steve.

PS I use Firefox, and when I type a post and click Send it hangs. However if you don't worry about it and go back to the page, you'll find your post has been added. If you worry and click Send again you get a double post!
Attached Images

Dogsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2007, 9:07 AM   #38

Here it is with the blue content decreased, and gamma corrected...
Attached Images

Dogsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2007, 4:58 AM   #39

I took this photo of a rainbow after the torrential rain we have been having here. I added maximum saturation in post-processing to pronounce the colours.
Attached Images

Old Jun 16, 2007, 5:03 AM   #40

This is one of my little cuttie. With flash.
I hope to take better looking photos with my S5700 as i get better aquainted with its features and progress as a photographer.
Attached Images