Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jun 16, 2007, 9:45 AM   #41

jmp-

The rainbow shot looks great, and increasing saturation helped to make the rainbow more visible in the finished photo. However, there is indeed an easier process to accomplish this. Use some minus Exposure Compensation when taking the rainbow photo. The natural question to ask is: "How much Excposure Compensation?" Generally, I begin with EV -0.7. Then I visually check the LCD screen. If the image on the LCD screen is still too high (in this case if the clouds are not sufficiently darkened, and you are not wanting to make them totally black, just dark enough toappear ominous) further increase the EC. Meaning, set to EV -1.0. If the clouds are already too dark, go the other way and set EV-0.3.

In the case of this photo, the minus Exposure Compensationserves todarken the sky a bit and in the process enhance the colors within the rainbow itself all at the very same time.

Regarding the flash photo of your cute little dog. I have found the Fuji Intelligent Flash to perform very well indeed. Better in fact that any other built-in flashusnits on most cameras.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2007, 9:40 AM   #42

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
jmp-

The rainbow shot looks great, and increasing saturation helped to make the rainbow more visible in the finished photo. However, there is indeed an easier process to accomplish this. Use some minus Exposure Compensation when taking the rainbow photo. The natural question to ask is: "How much Excposure Compensation?" Generally, I begin with EV -0.7. Then I visually check the LCD screen. If the image on the LCD screen is still too high (in this case if the clouds are not sufficiently darkened, and you are not wanting to make them totally black, just dark enough to¬*appear ominous) further increase the EC. Meaning, set to EV -1.0. If the clouds are already too dark, go the other way and set EV-0.3.

In the case of this photo, the minus Exposure Compensation¬*serves to¬*darken the sky a bit and in the process enhance the colors within the rainbow itself all at the very same time.

Regarding the flash photo of your cute little dog. I have found the Fuji Intelligent Flash to perform very well indeed. Better in fact that any other built-in flash¬*usnits on most cameras.

Sarah Joyce
Hi Sarah,
I'm glad you like the photo of the rainbow i took from my backyard. Thanks for that advice, i actually did take some shots with -1 EV and they turned out good but i wanted to test the supplied FujiFilm software out. It is pretty good and covers the basics of photo 'touchups' and simple editing, photo organising and archiving, and support for email/printing/backups etc. The VCD/DVD slideshow maker looks pretty cool, although it's only a time limited trial version, unfortunately.

Yes, i am getting awesome looking photos with the flash on in dark conditions. It's a very strong flash and has enough power to fill a moderate sized room i'd say. The fact that you can adjust the flash power is another advantage of this camera. However, i am still having a bit of trouble getting really good shots in low light without flash. There is a substantial amount of noise in the subject. I have tried limiting the ISO to 200, reducing shutter speeds to under 1 sec, and widening aperture but it still isn't perfect. I guess it all depends on the strength of the natural lighting in the room. The natural light mode is not very effective either, as i found more noise on preset settings than using manual mode. I'm not an expert, still a hobbyist learning.
Any advice you could provide me with?

So far, i'm having great taking photos and learning on my new S-5700. If i capture any new interesting and above average photos i will be sure to upload them. Cheers, Jean.
jmp1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2007, 6:20 PM   #43

jean-

Many thanks for your comments. I happen to think that the S-5700/S-700 is an excellent camera. Always feel free to post your photos. Here is a sunrise photo from yesterday (17 June) morning.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Jun 19, 2007, 8:39 AM   #44

Hi. After going nuts trying to decide on which digital to get I settled on the S700. It has all I need in a camera. I like the fact there is manual control as well as point and shoot. Out of the box the enclosed pic was my second shot. Mtclimber I love that seascape. Definately a keeper. Thanks for sharing.
Attached Images

Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2007, 12:06 PM   #45

Bynx-

That is an excellent photo for your second photo with the Fuji S-700/S-5700 camera. Are you doing any photo editing? I would reduce the brightness a bit and add a tad of contrast.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jun 19, 2007, 12:12 PM   #46

Bynx-

Here is your photo with a bit of post processing done with a photo editor (in the Case MS Digital Image Pro) It took me less than a minuted and added some "polish" to your photo. What do you think?

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Jun 19, 2007, 1:26 PM   #47

The pic is as it came from the camera. I only cropped it in Photoshop. By comparison to what you produced it looks pretty washed out. Thanks for the tip.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2007, 8:46 PM   #48

mtclimber,bless you and Steve.

white-out fixed,yep was metereing as you both said,had it on Spot,ermm cause i,m always taking marco shots of flowers,and forgot all about that setting.

set it to Multi,white-out probs cured,bless you both so much.

jmp1987you told me to red the beginers manual,lol,trust me i,ve done nothing but read,i,ve read the camera manual threw at least 20 times now,and the more i read the more confused i get and the faster i forget what i read. but i do,i keep at it.

i found i understand more here from reading whats posted then trying it and asking questions about what i don,t understand.

I,m learning here because you very lovely people have patients and take the time to help people like me,you exslpain things out in detail,where-as reading from a book/manual the terms and techy sometimes is abit much and goes right over our heads,lol.

i feel so blessed to have found this forum and the people in it that has the patience and understanding and is will to stick by us and not give up on us(me especialy).

ok,i,m blabbering on again,sorry,gonna read more in here,n learn till i finialy get something right.

CoolD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2007, 9:36 AM   #49

Hi,

A trick I use when taking macros with no tripod is set the 2s timer to avoid the trembling when pressing the button.

I'm really amazed with the capacity of the S5700.

Cheers,

Paulo
Paulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2007, 9:29 PM   #50

[align=left]I own Fuji S5700 over a month now and I realy love it. I used to use Olympus C-360 for point and shoot and I hated it.
Now that I have little bub I got interested in photography and started learning a bit more about it in order to take better pictures of my little one. And I think S5700 is an excellent choice for beginners. Great learning tool.
Now a question :-):
I noticed that all my photos are set to 72 idp. Do I need to change every photo to 300dpi in order to print better quality pics?
I have vague understanding of dpi, and I know 72dpi is for web and 300dpi is for printing. All explanations I read on internet were a bit confusing to me. Like, one entry said that if you just change to 300dpi, you'll loose quality of the pic but if you do it 10% at time you'll remain it ....what the?...:?:?...:?

[/align]
ceca2love is offline   Reply With Quote