Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old May 7, 2007, 7:29 AM   #1

Just wondering if anyone here has tried it and what did you think? Thanks!
ruach is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 7, 2007, 8:41 PM   #2

I love it. I have owned the S6000FD as well. Advantages of the S700 are: non moving lens (less chance of dirt in it) , it can be used with only one hand, sd memory, faster flash recycle time, auto "up to" iso feature, and more zoom. Ifelt the FD on the S6000 was just a gimmick and I had just as good results with it off. Ialso did not like having to always use 2 hands to use the camera.The S700 also has a red auto focus lamp instead of the weaker green in the S6000fd.

Goofas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2007, 11:55 AM   #3

www.dcresource.com has a Fuji S-700 in the review "pipeline." It could be published by the end of the month. That will be the first professional review that I know about, and I will keep looking.

The photo samples that I have seen are pretty darned impressive. As a result I ordered the S-700 and I hope to be posting some sample photos, next week. IMO it is a REAL camera value. Certainly, it will make a great family camera.

Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2007, 10:07 PM   #4

DP-Expert has just posted a short but good review. They are real DSLR fans and still gave the S5700 a 'recommended' rating, just short of 'Highly recommended" due to noise at high ISOs. There's some nice S5700 pics linkedfrom the page, too.

http://www.dpexpert.com.au/archives/...00_review.html

I love the S5700 (see my previous post)

Rob
Rob Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2007, 10:51 PM   #5

From samples I posted around the web, the S700 produces better photos than I thought it would when merely looking at the specs. It does seem to suffer from about as bad a case of purple fringe as I have ever seen from a digicam, though.
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2007, 1:08 AM   #6

I hope some of the pics with fringing were not taken using the Fuji "Chrome" setting instead of "standard". This can really exagerate bluish purple fringing in some lighting.
Rob Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2007, 5:57 AM   #7

Hi I've just purchased a finepix S700/S5700 but being a novice have not used/explored it much yet. But I found few good and bad things about it.

I might upload few sample photographs after few days. on this site or at http://www.discoveryofindia.com or http://www.vivahsutra.com

Pros:
1. Good picture quality but I still need to learn to take better images.

Cons:
1. Does not have a covor on LCD screen and hence very much prone to scratches etc. You need to handle it very carefully not to damage its LCD screen while carrying.

akhilesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2007, 8:47 AM   #8

Thanks very much for your comments, Akhilesh-

Here in the USA you can easily find a cover, or screen protector film to install on your LCD to protect it. It is good to hear that you really like the Fuji S-700. We will look forward to seeing some of your sample photos.

Thanks!

Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 9:18 AM   #9

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for your reply. I'll look for a cover or any other suitable film if available in India. Can you tell me how to clean its lense and LCD screen if you find some dust on it? I'm a novice and thought you must be knowing that.

Regards

Akhilesh
akhilesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 10:32 AM   #10

Hi,

I've just bought the S5700 and so far am very impressed given the budget cost. Where it really excels is macro shots. It truly is possible to get within a cm or so (on the super macro setting) and get very sharp focus. It also allows you to have a very shallow DOF, which you can pretty much pinpoint along an object. The attached macro.jpg is a cropped picture of a fly which demonstrates the shallow DOF.

Other plus points are that although the telephoto is a slow lens, as long as the ambient light is sufficient, you get nice sharp results with little distortion.

The purple fringe people have reported is correct. I have been told a skylight filter (46mm) fixes this, but haven't had a chance to check it. It is a pain, but I can live with it.

Video quality is great on 640*480. I recommend shooting on this, and then reduce it later using a free program like Virtualdub (http://www.virtualdub.org). This way you get the least artifacts. 320*240 produces visible blocking.

Screen is great with nice contrast, but is prone to damage if you're not careful.

The manual override is very well thought out with the 'F' button giving instant access to common features dependent on program selection. This stops the wading through menus and I have found to be as quick to use as a conventional film SLR.

Battery life seems amazing. I haven't touched rechargeables since I bought it because the alkalines are still fine (200 pictures, lots of video and flash so far).

Cleaning the screen and lens, I just use a puffer brush, or a soft lint cloth. Whatever you use it needs to be veeerrrrrry gentle! A better bet is to get a screen protector for the TFT (as mentioned by mtclimber), and a skylight filter to protect the lens and then clean them/ replace when shot.

Great camera, shame about the purple fringe. If anyone has any experience using a skylight filter please let me know what (if anything) it did!

Steve
Attached Images

Dogsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote