Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jul 29, 2003, 9:24 AM   #1

Default New S7000, S5000

I have been looking very closely at the S602 and was about to buy it when rumors of the new s7000, s5000 started circulating.

I love the s5000 10 x zoom and am wondering if I should just go with the s5000 so that I don't have to buy a telephoto ext.

Do you think that the picture quality will be comparable? They seemed to have done some tweaking with color saturation. But if that is something I can fix myself with pic software I think I should go with the s602 because from what I can tell it allows 5fps as opposed to the 3fps offered from the s5000.

Then again the s7000 looks sweet. I could just use the extra pixels and crop getting a great shot.

Just when you narrow your selection.... More choices. Really think that I might be able to get a deal on the s602 now, in the next couple of months, considering the new additions.

All help and advice apreciated.
GIGGLEZALLDAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 29, 2003, 12:39 PM   #2

Default Re: New S7000, S5000

hi,

if you see the image quality i don't think you will be satified with a some $700 camera.. though the s5000 looks really cool, i think image quality should be preferred.. i haven't seen images made with the s7000 and i am very curious about it.. i know the s2 well and if the s7000 can do its job as well as the s2 does it would be really cool.
i am actually using my canon g3, image quality, performance (stunning battery performance!!) is all cool, but still its slow in response and focusing..
in fact most people don't think you can make good pictures with a cam that looks small like the g3..
unfortunately i am out out of money otherwise i would immediately decide for a slr especially because of the bigger sensors and better depth cue issues
everyone that works on >35mm knows what i mean..
btw.. love my nikon fm2!

cheers andi
atek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2003, 6:54 PM   #3

If quality counts example photos of 2 new 3 m pixel cameras;
Photo samples of the S5000 are at http://www.finepix.com/lineup/s5000/sample.html (1/2.7 superccd HR)

Photos samples of the F700 http://www.finepix.de/53__40000189.html (1/1.7 superccd SR)

Actually I'm a bit suprised they publiced the S5000 flaws in capitals even before the camera gets hot. That said, it could be photo's taken with a beta cam (and for the price segment anmd features it is not bad at all).

The S7000 has a different make of ccd than S5000, no example photos found yet.
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2003, 7:19 PM   #4

So what do you all think about the noise then on these F700 shots at 200ASA? NeatImage cleans it up, but I doubt if they'll be including it in the firmware! Perhaps the camera was too HOT when the pics were taken?

I thought the F700 had good dynamic range? look at JPEG1, the shot of the girls' neckerchief - Highlights blown, all at 255!

More sample shots needed I think.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2003, 8:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
I thought the F700 had good dynamic range? look at JPEG1, the shot of the girls' neckerchief - Highlights blown, all at 255!

More sample shots needed I think.
Dynamic range is difficult to judge looking at a jpg on screen. To my taste the F700 looks better. Atleast it has not these ugly black pixel dust as the S5000 does have.

Indeed far more examples are needed to make a sound judgement.
Old Jul 29, 2003, 9:48 PM   #6

So - is it a safe bet to go with the S602??????
GIGGLEZALLDAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2003, 9:59 PM   #7
djb

yes!!! the s602z is a fine choice.

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2003, 5:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Dynamic range is difficult to judge looking at a jpg on screen
Ah, but I didn't do that! I used the eyedropper in PS and it said the data values on the test image were 255 = Burned out!
Old Jul 30, 2003, 6:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
Ah, but I didn't do that! I used the eyedropper in PS and it said the data values on the test image were 255 = Burned out!
Sounds 'grundlich' enough. My suspicion is that if the same photo was taken in Raw file format, dynamic range would improve a tiny bit. I noticed in the past, color change in a file with 100% quality jpeg save in photoshop.

Personally I'm still impatient waiting for the S7000.
Old Jul 30, 2003, 11:57 AM   #10

Yes I think you are right, but for all practical purposes we are mainly talking JPEG to suit present storage capacities/price and processing.

As the Mpix goes up which is the usp, so I think the camera will become to memory/processor hungry to consider RAW except for 'exceptions'. And you've got to process every shot in the PC, so that's a meaty workflow for regular shots.