Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old May 15, 2007, 6:51 PM   #1

Has anyone had any experience shooting drag races or any type of racing with this camera?
My concern is with shutter lag time.
One other concern would be the flash as this model does not allow for external flash.
I am thinking the S9100 has more useful features. For myself I don't shoot over 800 iso so that is not much of an issue between the two.
From what I read th S9100 is very fast and may be better suited for action type shooting..

???

Come join our photo group.. http://www.flickr.com/groups/hotrodracing/

Thanks
KB

zoomdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 18, 2007, 3:41 PM   #2

OK.. Got the S600fd ran it through a couple of days of shooting.. This camera is amazing. Very hard to beat the high iso quality.. But As I was asking in my first post about shooting lag this is where I think it falls a bit short. When compared to the S9100 with a very good feature set I believe it would be the better choice. I don't use the higher iso (tripod instead). So I returned the S600fd for the S9100..

Have a Great Day!

PS..

Do More With Your Photos
http://www.pixelexpressions.net

Old May 18, 2007, 5:25 PM   #3

KB,

I didn't respond to your original post, because I've never attempted to photograph drag racing. However, I would be interested in your evaluation of the S9100 vs. the S6000FD regarding shutter lag. In the only professional review site that I have seen both cameras extensively tested for shutter lag, the S9100 was slightly faster prefocused (by 0.007 seconds), and slower when using full autofocus (by a considerable 0.19 seconds) at the telefoto setting. I doubt that you would be able to comprehend a difference in shutter lag of 0.007 seconds, but you should be able to detect a difference of 0.19 seconds. At any rate, both cameras are very fast when prefocused.

Let us know how you make out.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 5:44 PM   #4

I would be very interested in hearing how the s9100 performs. I think these kind of cameras are a lot more capable than the "it's got to be an SLR crowd" believes. But no doubt it will take some timing.
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 6:31 PM   #5

Ok Got 9100 today have been shooting with it and would have to concur on the focusing between the 9100 and 6000. The 6000 is no lager at least in my estimation and may have the edge as you stated Hun. By the amount you say I am not sure. But the 9100 is almost instant regarding shutter lag. I have mixed feels now about the two cameras. I shot car races and macro,nature and the 6000 preformed very well with the macro and stills.
I have not printed anything yet as I do print poster size and would believe the 9100 would have the edge.
If you are in the market and not sure, either one of these cameras can do a very adequate job. For sure the high iso performance goes to the 6000. But with a little noise ninja the 9100 you can clean them up pretty good...
If the 6000 was 9mp it would be a killer of a camera!!
If the 9100 had better high iso output killer of a camera!!
One last note.. The 6000 may be a bit sharper out of the box..

Both are great for this class!!

KB