Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jul 30, 2003, 3:23 PM   #1

Default G3 vs S602z Pro or to wait for S7000 reviews

Hell-o to everybody...

Facts: I need a digital camera for today...and for tomorrow, for taking "good" pictures (without involving my talent, at least for a while). The machine should be fast, full of features (In case I have some creative talent) and to be customizable (i don't know if this is an english word) ...and to be under $900

G3 was my fav choice 'til I played with it. I said "was" bcz the autofocus in low light is sloooooowww (even my 90 years old neighbor who had a stroke 2 days ago is moving faster)...Somebody should tell Canon guys and the other peope involved in digital cam. biz that we are in the 21st century...damn it

S602z Pro is an impressive machine. I forgot what I don't like about it (probably bcz i'm in a Fuji forum)

If you are still here I have a question for you...

Question: How good is the S602z Pro autofocus compared with G3's?

Another one: is S602z Pro a better machine than G3?

Last one: What to do...wait for S7000 or buy S602z pro or G3?

Thank you...
dolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 31, 2003, 1:00 AM   #2

Default hi

go ahead and read my post .
as i said if ur hunger for img quality is satisfied with 602 , then theres nothing to stop you . and for focussing , ofcourse, 602 kicks the a** outta g3 .m but in sm diff conditiond it goes slow also ...but hey its prosumer not professional . personally, i wld wait for s7000 review to be out . c'mon its another weeks time b4 v get the review on our hand . i gs i can wait that long .
nutty_me!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2003, 8:52 AM   #3

Default Re: G3 vs S602z Pro or to wait for S7000 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphin
Question: How good is the S602z Pro autofocus compared with G3's?
the 602 is the fastest consumer (non-dSLR) digicam out there that i know of where focusing is concerned. it more or less leaves all other cameras of the same category that i have tried in the dust. but then again, it is in turn left in the dust by a dSLR. however, the G3 has an AF assist lamp, which should give it more accurate focusing in low light situations. while i have had no problems so far with my 602, the 602 does not have this, and it may or may not be a concern for you.

Quote:
Another one: is S602z Pro a better machine than G3?
it's really quite relative & dependent on your own needs. they are both excellent cameras. with the caveat that i have not really looked at canon cameras (i went for olympus instead as my other camera), offhand, i'd say the 602 has the edge in zoom and speed, making it a great camera for sports. on the other hand, the g3 takes excellent landscapes and portraits, is less noisy, and has the AF assist lamp and more flash options i believe (the 602 only has a basic hotshoe). to me they would complement each other, just as my 602 & oly 5050 do. also the main differences i see between the pro & regular 602 is that the pro has a pc connector cable and a thread for a cable release. you will have to consider if these will be useful for your needs.

Quote:
Last one: What to do...wait for S7000 or buy S602z pro or G3?
this is also up to you. you mentioned you need a camera now. obviously you will have to wait till october (at the very least) for the s7000 to be released. if you're a basic user, i am not sure how much benefit you'd derive out of the doubled pixel count of the s7000 but seemingly similar features it has to the 602. unless you're looking to print huge prints or crop a lot, you'd still have the majority of the features (except for raw which in itself is real nice to have if you like post processing) of the 602 in a much cheaper package. but then again, perhaps waiting till then may see the the 602 prices drop such that if you happen to find the 7000 not to your liking you'd still be able to spend less on the 602. who knows... anyway, just my two cents' worth. hope it helps =)

Somy
somynex is offline   Reply With Quote