Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old May 25, 2007, 4:25 PM   #1

I am a novice user with no real picure taking skills. I am an out of the box point & shoot user. I used to have a canon sd400 but hated the low light photos and photos with any camera shake at all. I therefore purchased the F30. Trouble is that all my photos seem overexposed. I am tempted to sell the camera on Ebay & purchase a canon SD700. The reviews though love this camera. Anything simple that I can do to rectify the overexposure & in general to get better picures? Any responses would be greatly appreciated. Anyone who woulk be kind enough to e mail a response can do so at [email protected]. Thanks
bbsstmez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 27, 2007, 4:43 PM   #2

I don't have a F30, but I do have a F20 that I use quite a bit. Could you possibly post a couple of these overexposed pics you are talking about? It's very difficult to offer advice when you can't see what the problem is.
mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2007, 10:59 PM   #3
Administrator

If they're consistently overexposed, just use a -EV setting with Exposure Compensation to give you a darker exposure.

You may want to make sure you didn't accidently use a +EV setting causing your overexposure issue, too.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2007, 7:04 PM   #4

These here are not overexposed but they do not look as clear to me as the pictures that I got from my old Canon. I am frustrated that the pictures do not look as real. Do you agree? Id it just my ignorance? Any suggestions?

PS. I removed the faces as my friend will kill me if I post his kids here! I hope thats OK!
Old Jul 5, 2007, 7:06 PM   #5

Opps! The images did not post. I guess that I do not know how to do it. Can someone tell me? Thanks
Attached Images

Old Jul 5, 2007, 7:13 PM   #6
Administrator

This link might help:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...amp;forum_id=2

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2007, 9:53 PM   #7

It worked, I added the photo. Thanks!
Old Jul 7, 2007, 11:26 AM   #8

bbsstmez,

Regardless of which camera you use, the quality of the lighting will make all the difference in the world in your pictures. In the picture that you posted, the sun is very low on the horizon, and is behind you. You're subject is in the shade, which isn't a bad thing by itself. But quite often it is a good idea to use a little flash to provide some fill light.

I think if you had taken this picture a little earlier and had oriented yourself so that the sun was creating a cross shadow on your subject, and then used the flash to provide some fill it would have been a better picture.

Just for general information, the worst time of the day for taking outdoor pictures is between 10 AM and 2 PM because the sun is so high in the sky that it doesn't creating pleasing shadows. And shadows are needed to help create contrast and depth to our photos.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2007, 6:00 PM   #9

Hello, I have a 42 page pdf file that has a ton of info and illistrations download it from
http://www.pixelexpressions.net Check it out!!
Also just keep shooting and try differnet settings..
Happy Shooting,
Kevin
zoomdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2007, 7:54 AM   #10

Thanks, I printed it & will try reading it.