Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Sep 23, 2007, 10:55 AM   #161

Thank you flutelady. Here is another of the same bird.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2007, 6:46 PM   #162

Bynx, another awesome expression of Curious Blue, I think that Curious Blue really wanted to be photographed.

That is a beautiful photo of the pretty weeds, that would make a fun thread since they are in full bloom.
flutelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2007, 4:25 PM   #163

Just got this camera 3 days ago...

Still getting to grips with it...

Here's some photos i took

here's a few more i took with the s5700

Blind Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2007, 9:08 PM   #164

Hey everyone. Sub-amateur photographer here :G

I've been watching this thread for a while and I'm very impressed by some of your photos taken with the S700. I would like to buy a new camera to do some macro photography among other things. I currently own a Canon A610 and it just doesn't gather enough light for macro. I also want a camera for aquarium photography as well. Has anyone tried getting some aquarium pics with the fuji? Do you think the S700 would be a step up in quality compared to the A610?

I've read all the reviews I can find on this camera and almost went and bought one a few weeks ago. But some people over at dpreview said it wasn't very good and they returned it. Also heard purple fringing is a problem. But looking at your photos, it doesn't really seem that bad.

The S700 has just come on sale here and I'm rethinking the purchase. Do you think it would be a wise choice for what I intend to do?

Thanks
Dave
janger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2007, 10:34 PM   #165

After using 35mm for many years the S-700/5700 is my first digital camera. Its been so much fun to use and carry around Ive been taking pictures more than I ever have before. Id highly recommend it. Dollar for dollar its a great buy. And the proof is in the pudding. Just look at the shots taken by the camera. There is a pretty wide range of shooting situations here.
Old Sep 24, 2007, 11:21 PM   #166

Thanks Bynx.

What would help me in the decision would be someone who has used both the Canon A610 and the S700. That's a long-shot though. The Canon got fairly good reviews when it came out but probably is mediocre by todays standards.

I'm sitting here wondering if I should just go buy the Fuji, considering the store where it's on sale has a 14 day "change of mind" policy. I could just give it a tryout and if it's not what I expected, return it. But going by the shots here, it looks like that won't happen. :-) Has anyone taken some aquarium photos with EXIF data attached?

Edit:
I forgot to add: most of the reviews are getting old now and I was wondering if anyone has used the old firmware and the new one, and whether it makes much of a difference with performance/quality. I can't find information on the fuji site about actual changes made to the f/w.
janger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2007, 7:33 AM   #167

I just updated my firmware from 1.0 to 1.01. When using the 2 second timer a red lite comes on and stays on until you shut off the camera. The update fixes this problem. I didnt think this was important until I realized how much I use the 2 second timer. It helps to keep the camera steady when you arent touching it and 10 seconds is too long to wait. When you look at the camera in the store turn it on and hold the DISP/BACK button at the same time. This will display the firmware number. Hopefully your camera was shipped with 1.01. If not its not a problem upgrading it yourself. But follow the instructions carefully otherwise your camera is toast.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 10:53 AM   #168

Janger,If you decide to buy the s700. Which I must say is a VERY smart purchase. Try going to www.prestigecamera.com I bought my s700 thru them and it was a fantastic price 172.00 with tax around 187.00 and I paid extra for 3 day shipping. It still came to under 200.00 I can't wait to show you guys the GreatFootball photos I've taken at night under the lights. My boys are in Heaven. Now the whole team has me taking photos of them.Unfortunatly, My computer wont let me download them. It's Old. One thing always leads to another. Soas soon as I get my new one I'll share. My son took a Beautiful photo of a humming bird as well. Bynx, I truely believe Curious Blue should be in a Nature Magazine. He's Stunning!!! and Blind Sniper Beautiful Pics.....Don't ya just Love this camera.
SCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2007, 11:59 AM   #169

Thanks for the kind comments scarter...

this was my first pics from this cam, right out of the box!

how would you rate them 1/10 for quality?

my friends have always told me that i take a good photo!i hope to do this on a semi professional basis at some stage in my life... im currently an industrial radiographer... and there's risks associated with the job, so i dont wanna be in that game for the rest of my life.
Blind Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2007, 2:46 PM   #170

Blind Sniper, your shots are very nice.