Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Oct 7, 2007, 4:53 PM   #201

janger, very nice moon photos.
flutelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2007, 4:57 PM   #202

sala900, very nice photos.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 10:05 PM   #203

Hoverfly on strawberry flower:

Purple fringing is a bit of a prob with this camera. You can see it on the edges of the left-side petals.
jonnythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2007, 9:06 AM   #204

I am glad to report the demise of my internet were greatly exaggerated. Here is another seagull shot for you desert dwellers.
Bynx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2007, 8:53 PM   #205

jonnythe, very nice photo with great detail.
Old Oct 10, 2007, 8:59 PM   #206

Bynx, welcome back, its great to see your photos again. The seagull is a peaceful beauty. Great detail.
Old Oct 11, 2007, 12:44 PM   #207

Hi There!

This is my first post. But before I go into my little world...The photos I have seen here in the forums are awesome!

I purchased a Fujifilm S700 3 months ago and have had a blast taking pictures. Although, I don't really understand all the settings. I've always had cheaper digital cameras that didn't have many settings.

I'm hoping to learn more about my camera and photography by participating in the forums here. I'd love to have suggestions on books or websites to help me with that.

I've taken a few pictures that I thought were great...links & aquestion below.

1 & 2 - Hummingbirds at my feeder - I used theMacro and zoomed infor these... I'm just proud of these two. A little more patience and I would have gotten some better shots.
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/e...le/Hummer1.jpg
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/e...le/Hummer2.jpg

3 - Sunset on Lake Michigan - Used SP1 in Sunset Mode - I love this setting...!
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/e...e/DSCF9937.jpg

4 -Granddaughters - I would love to have gotten the background out of focus here! I used N mode for natural light on a sunny day.
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/e.../Grandkids.jpg

I've played a little with the aperture setting but need to understand what it does I think. I'm not sure if a smaller number is a bigger aperture or what...?

I hope to start taking more interesting pictures as I learn.

Thanks, Mayzie

Mayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2007, 1:14 PM   #208

Hi Mayzie, welcome to the forum. Nice shots, particularly the two little girls.
For the hummingbirds you want as fast a shutter speed as possible. You could manually focus on the feeding spot where you know the bird will be. So you have as sharp a picture as possible. And you are right, the smaller the aperture number the larger the aperture giving you a shallower depth of field.
Old Oct 11, 2007, 1:29 PM   #209

Thank you! I didn't notice that you were in Canada! My sis lives in Kitchener and I spent 2 weeks up there at the end of August...the seagulls there are plentiful! Like the pigeons are here in Nebraska. I got shots of 3 of the great lakes while there. Lake Huron and Lake Ontario along with Lake Michigan when we drove up there. That is when my thoughts of learning how to use the camera first started. LOL

Downtown Toronto was fabulous! I think one of the tall apartment buildings would house all the families that live in my hometown! This is one of my 'look up here' pictures:

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/e...e/DSCF0461.jpg

I went with my step-daughter to get her senior pictures taken and that inspired me even more. So, add another hobby to my list!

To get the Hummers, I used a ladder and sat the camera on that. I held the button down to keep the focus until a bird came by. Next year I will use the fastestshutter mode and try that. Thank you!

Mayzie
Mayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2007, 4:23 PM   #210

The only thing I can think of offhand that I wish the S-700 had is the possibilty of remote cable release. Then the camera could be next to the feeder. With the shutter noise turned off you could take pictures without disturbing them.
In this picture I shot at max optical zoom (10X) as well as additional digital zoom (4X). The inset picture is the original view compared to the close up. Its not great by a long shot and the pics are good for diddly squat. But if you ever wondered what they would look like using maximum zoom this is it.