Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jan 17, 2008, 3:58 PM   #271

Ive been lookin in my manual and I dont know how to change the Aperature, thats my problem

Memory card I use a 1GB card and I got 4 of them for like 25 dollars.
lauralei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2008, 5:53 PM   #272

You can change the aperture while in Shutter priority and in Manual Mode. If you click the bottom right button on the back a bar will pop up in the bottom of the picture area. You can choose the aperture by clicking the circular ring left or right. Just look at the yellow arrowheads on each side of the aperture number. You will also see the shutter speed too if you are in Manual mode and the arrows will be pointing up or down. So you would hit the circular ring top or bottom to change the shutter speed.
A 1 gig card is good for about 550 pics at 7.1 Megapixel size. Its okay but I prefer the single 2 gig card (1100 pics) so I never have to change the card in perhaps dusty or wet conditions.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2008, 5:12 AM   #273

Just bought the camera and this is one of my first pics which i feel okay with... apart from the grain is a bit excessive but ahh welll...
Attached Images

Faitho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2008, 11:14 AM   #274

I stil lcant figure out the aperature. I want to take a portrait picture and hace the eyes be the focus and the main person the focus, but I want the background behind them blurred, and im having problems figuring out the setting.

Nice pic for a first shot faitho!
Old Jan 19, 2008, 11:48 AM   #275

A wide open aperture gives a shallow depth of focus. A closed down aperture is like squinting and gives a longer depth of focus. So if you want the face in focus and background out of focus choose a small number (larger aperture) and all should be ok. Also dont have your subject standing right in front of the background. Hopefully there will be some distance to help with keeping it out of focus. Experiment with depth and aperture to get a fell for what is right.

In your manual read pages 58, 59 and 63. It deals with setting your aperture in Aperture Priority and Manual Mode.
Old Jan 19, 2008, 12:56 PM   #276

Faitho and lauralei, very nice photos.

Bynx, greatcamera/photography info as always. Thank you.

flutelady
flutelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2008, 1:39 PM   #277

thanks lauralei and flutelady... i was quite lucky coz the candle i used was at the right levelto get detail in the glass... also the background for the shot is where we had the fireplace taken out and bricked over
Faitho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2008, 8:21 AM   #278

Okay do you have like an exact setting to take an outdoor picture during the day, where the person is in focus and behind them is out of focus. I took a fwe on various settings in M and A, and none of them had the back out of focus.

I cant figure it out even looking at the manual and trying it out. Once I figure it out it wont be a problem, its actually learning it and getting the hang of it first.

Can you do that in portrait mode or to set the aperature it has to be in the M and A

Thanks for all the given help
Old Jan 20, 2008, 9:49 AM   #279

There are no set numbers to use since it depends on the amount of light you are working with. One other thing you can try is to use the zoom. I believe the more zoom the less depth of field. So if you are far enough back and zoom in then you might get the results you are after.
Old Jan 20, 2008, 12:06 PM   #280

Well, I spent the day at Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure yesterday. It was a very poor day to take pictures but a great day to test a camera. It was very overcast and foggy most of the day and no sunshine at all. It is obvious that I need to get away from the "Auto" settings and work with some manual settings. One thing I noticed is the difference between my S700 my son's Canon S2is. The f-stops were very close to each other but the speeds were different. I was wondering if maybe the ISO could be the difference. This brings on a question....can you override the ISO setting in auto mode and is this the probable difference?

I will post a few pics as soon as I resize them.

BTW Bynx...there is a 1.02 firmware...wasn't real sure so I checked the camera for which update it was. :?
carrolf is offline   Reply With Quote