Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jan 28, 2008, 10:02 PM   #381

There is one I have called Photostitch. It automatically makes panoramas out of shots you may have taken for that purpose.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2008, 7:07 PM   #382

familiar with stitching, I used to have to do that when handheld scanners first came out, many moons ago. Took another set of sunset shots and tried photomatix on it...not sure how well the outcome is. I went out today and shot many sets of pics to try it on.

Attached Images

carrolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2008, 7:14 PM   #383

Here is the original at 0 exposure.

Attached Images

Old Jan 30, 2008, 8:40 PM   #384

Bynx,

I've been a lurker for a bit, so forgive me. I've had the S700 for a few months now and I have to say, it's probably one of the best cameras I own. I've taken it with me to Mazatlan, Naples and Vancouver. It's definitely proved itself to me in those regards. As of late, I'm attempting to take a few pics of my HDTV's for a Picture thread on an AV forum. I was wondering if anyone could suggest some settings to get the best possible picture ? Right now I'm at the following settings :

Manual Mode

ISO 100

Shutter : 1.5"

Apaerture : F3.5

Picture : 7M F

AF Mode : Area

Sharpness : Standard

WB : Auto

There are more options, I can fill them in as needed. I've been taking a few pictures by hand (no tripod) and have noticed a bit of a whiteout in terms of the picture taking. Sure my set is bright (DLP) but it's nowhere near as bright as what the camera is indicating. Really I'd just like to take the best picture possible of my HDTV set for other potential buyers and enthusiasts like myself. Hopefully free of any noise. Thank you ahead of time and awesome pictures.
Variansyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2008, 8:51 PM   #385

because of refresh rates and frequencies, wouldn't you be much better off with a video capture instead of a photograph? Are you trying to take a photo of the set or something on the screen?
Old Jan 30, 2008, 9:29 PM   #386

Ive never tried shooting an HDTV screen but I imagine it has a refresh rate like an ordinary tv. Your shutter speed has to be slower than the refresh rate but fast enough to catch any action. If possible do a stop frame on your tv and shoot instead. Also if pic is too bright then close up your aperture until you get the exposure you want.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 9:38 PM   #387

carrolf wrote:
Quote:
because of refresh rates and frequencies, wouldn't you be much better off with a video capture instead of a photograph? Are you trying to take a photo of the set or something on the screen?
Yeah I'm trying to capture a photo of the set with the content on the screen.

Bynx wrote:
Quote:
Ive never tried shooting an HDTV screen but I imagine it has a refresh rate like an ordinary tv. Your shutter speed has to be slower than the refresh rate but fast enough to catch any action. If possible do a stop frame on your tv and shoot instead. Also if pic is too bright then close up your aperture until you get the exposure you want.

Yeah I'll definitely use a still capture or pause. Unfortunately my television can't freeze frame anything but Cable/Antenna signals so for Xbox 360 or HD-DVD photos pause or some other method has to be used.

That being said if I can't pause a capture of a videogame so to speak, what would you recommend along with the earlier question ? If I can of course bring as much action as possible to a halt ?

Here's some pics I took the other day with the S700 and they don't look quite right to me. (If the source untouched photos would be a better reference let me know).

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...ucknlarry2.jpg

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...ucknlarry3.jpg

Old Jan 30, 2008, 10:05 PM   #388

Your first shot with many people shows a lot of uneven lighting while the second shot of the 2 women behind the link fence is pretty good. Id say you are doing it right. Its up to the pic on screen whether its going to cooperate with you or not. Another thing to think about is the metering in your camera. Move back from the tv and zoom in and see if there is a difference. Also use average metering instead of center spot. It might make a difference.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 11:44 PM   #389

Bynx wrote:
Quote:
Your first shot with many people shows a lot of uneven lighting while the second shot of the 2 women behind the link fence is pretty good. Id say you are doing it right. Its up to the pic on screen whether its going to cooperate with you or not. Another thing to think about is the metering in your camera. Move back from the tv and zoom in and see if there is a difference. Also use average metering instead of center spot. It might make a difference.
Is there a setting in the S700 that could lessen the saturation levels ? Although I agree that the 2nd pic looks good, the reds look entirely too strong in comparison to what I'm viewing.

I'll try some different Zoom levels and some metering changes. I'll post up my findings later on and I appreciate your feedback. Really this camera has impressed me more and more throughout the process. As I try to get the perfect settings to do this indoor / HDTV shot, I've taken a few of some organics out and about and they're looking great.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 11:59 PM   #390

I can say virtually no picture comes out of the camera perfect. I always put any pic through Photoshop until I get the result I want. Usually it only takes less than 4 minutes to accomplish this. There is a setting in the camera for F standard and F Chrome which changes your color sensitivity. Ive never used it yet. There are a lot of features about this camera I just havent had time to get to yet. I have never done a movie yet. Thats the point of this forum. Whatever you come up with get back to us and let us know differences with the settings.
Here is your pic after going through Photoshop. Im just playing blind here. Is it any better?
Attached Images